Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 17:34   #1

NMEA to Wifi

I have a Standard-Horizon GX2100 with AIS which is wired to a Shipmodul Miniplex multiplexor as well as a GPS antenna also wired into the MUX. This is fed into the laptop and used by OpenCPN, which works very well and allows to see AIS targets at a much greater range than looking at the tiny VHF screen.

I want to get the NMEA data displayed on an Android tablet, since there are now quite a few apps designed to read NMEA data over wifi or Bluetooth.

Can I use a USB wifi dongle to transmit the NMEA data, or do I need something more elaborate? I know there is software that will allow me to share the NMEA com port assigned to the MUX with another com port, but can't figure out what goes next.

I have looked through the manuals on OpenCPN website but couldn't find anything pertinent to my situation.

Thank you,
jimthom
jimthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:59   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: NMEA to Wifi

jimthom...
If you have the AIS data into OpenCPN and the PC connected to a wifi you can use O's inbound multiplexer to transfer out all your data.
In tools - connections:
Make a new Net connection for output and use UDP protocol. (And be sure to deactivate input on that connection!)
Set the IP address to 192.168.x.x Port 10110. (Yes - use the letters "x")
On your Android make a similar but input connection. (Again - no output her! You'll choke the net if you do)
See more on Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:36   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thats one for the manual too. Thanks Hakan. Will try to enter it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:38   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I think it would go under hardware with pointer to data connections.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:52   #5

Thank you Hakan, looks great. Can I use my laptop's built-in wifi or do I need a USB wifi dongle?

Cheers jimthom
Old 01-11-2015, 16:56   #6

Update

It took 5 minutes to configure, I didn't need any additional hardware and I'm seeing the AIS targets on Android app Seawi! Up to 35n.m. range. Way cool.

Cheers, Jim
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04   #7

Jim...
Nice to "hear".... I suppose the first Q was answered by your own trial?
Håkan
Old 02-11-2015, 02:57   #8

Yes Haken I answered my own question. What I found perplexing is that my in-built wifi is connected to the internet and still able to connect simultaneously with the android tablet.

Thanks again,
jimthom
Old 02-11-2015, 07:09   #9

jim..
That's what the IP-protocol is all about, addressing other devices more or less simultaneously. And since the segment 192.168...... is used your wifi router is keeping that traffic inside your "home" net.
Old 15-11-2015, 09:11   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
jim..
That's what the IP-protocol is all about, addressing other devices more or less simultaneously. And since the segment 192.168...... is used your wifi router is keeping that traffic inside your "home" net.
Any one help me out here. I have been following this thread and have successfully fed NMEA/AIS data to a Windows laptop using UDT 192.168.x.x, Port 10110. It works really well.

However, I cannot get the Android version of OpenCPN to use this data, even though it appears in the NMEA debug window. Not easy to test as Android O doesn't support AIS or Dashboard but not even the GPS data is being used.

I tried several other Apps (EasyAIS, DigitalYacht and Vesper) that in theory can receive NMEA/AIS data over Wifi but am unable to get any to connect using 192.168.x.x. SeaWi is not available where I am currently. The only errors I am getting are IO Error or Timeouts. Do I need to configure something else on the tablet? or use specific IP addresses?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 11:07   #11

Tupala...
Well..I use that way in my Android Samsung 10 and it works fine.
I've the wifi connected,
In Android OCPN "Connections" the inbound GPS is deactivated.
The network UDP connection is as my description.
Since my PC master send AIS data also these are visible on A,but you are correct that no Dashboard is present so no wind,compass etc are visible there.

Attached pictures are from my A.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-15-19-40-47.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	113056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-15-19-42-16.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	113057  

Old 15-11-2015, 11:42   #12

Tupala;

The two apps that I found so far that work well with Android for AIS/GPS are Seawi and Sailtracker:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ltracker&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tivities&hl=en

Both of these can use the GPS over wifi, so you can turn the internal GPS off, which will increase the battery life.

When I upgraded to Android 6.0 from Android 5.1, Seawi stopped working but I'm sure this bug will be fixed.

jimthom
Old 17-11-2015, 10:50   #13

Quote:
Tupala...
Well..I use that way in my Android Samsung 10 and it works fine.
I've the wifi connected,
In Android OCPN "Connections" the inbound GPS is deactivated.
The network UDP connection is as my description.
Since my PC master send AIS data also these are visible on A,but you are correct that no Dashboard is present so no wind,compass etc are visible there.

Attached pictures are from my A.

Håkan
Finally got it working. For UDP to work each computer/tablet must be connected to the same Wifi.

The following does not work:

Boat PC - wifi'd to marina (This is the OpenCPN, UDP transmitter)
Laptop - wifi'd to marina (also acting as local hotspot using virtual router)
Tablet - wifi'd to Laptop and sharing connection to marina

When I wifi'd the tablet directly to the marina instead of the hotspot everything works.

So this begs the questions when I am at sea none of the wifi's are connected to anything.

1. Does this mean I have to have a router so that everything can be wifi'd to it before UDP works between the tablet (or laptop) and the boat PC?

2. Is there a way of creating a LAN between all the units without using a router and UDP will still work?
Old 17-11-2015, 11:48   #14

Tupala..
Yes, all must be connected to the same net. I thought we were talking about a net inside your boat and wasn't aware of the "marina". I better describe my net;
I've a 12 V wifi router inside my cabin normally not connected to any Internet or external stuff like a marina router. The router act as an DHCP, sharing IP addresses, and its IP address is 192.168.10.1. (Chose whatever beginning with 192.168. . .) Every other of my gadgets will get an IP address in the segment 192.168.10.(2-253)
This is my local boat net where the UDP "broadcast" is sent and received independent of other nets outside the boat.
If I would like external connection to for example Internet the same router can be used with a USB 3G-dongle or connected to another router set up as an access point. Maybe to a marina router.

Conclusions:
Answer 1. Yes
Answer 2. No

Sorry if I was (or still are?) unclear and presumed things obvious for me and didn't thought of that all are not electronic geeks.
But I see you are on your way to find out things that will work for you.

Good luck
Håkan
Old 17-11-2015, 21:13   #15

Quote:
Tupala..

Conclusions:
Answer 1. Yes
Answer 2. No

Sorry if I was (or still are?) unclear and presumed things obvious for me and didn't thought of that all are not electronic geeks.
But I see you are on your way to find out things that will work for you.

Good luck
Håkan
Thanks for the confirmation. It was the fact that the tablet was sharing the internet through the laptop that threw me. I have a 12v router that handles my wireless printer so I will keep this "on" at sea. I cannot accessthe internet at sea so all should be well.

Thanks again.

Peter

Tags
nmea, wifi