Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 15:16   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 2,960
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Hubert
I know, but still is the unit abbreviation B used for Bar as in the more formal though obsolete MDA and not mBar, I suppose. And our Dashboard reads B as Bar.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 03:47   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 863
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

A conversion has been added to the OpenCPN Developer Manual page for the NMEA converter plugin that allows correction of BMP180 pressure readings and conversion to Bar. OpenCPN Dashboard running on a Raspberry Pi (RPi) with OpenPlotter now shows the presssure correctly, although readings are given to the nearest hectoPascal. This conversion could also be useful if OpenPlotter output is being fed to OpenCPN running on other computers

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._for_dashboard

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 23:23   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 282
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Transmitting the pressure with XDR sentences is working fine now, just a pitty that the automatic entry of temperature and pressure into the konni logbook plugin is so fragile and inflexible that I only got it to auto-enter once.

Is anybody using the logbook plugin?
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:29   #19
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 5,031
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
Transmitting the pressure with XDR sentences is working fine now, just a pitty that the automatic entry of temperature and pressure into the konni logbook plugin is so fragile and inflexible that I only got it to auto-enter once.

Is anybody using the logbook plugin?
I use the konni logbook every time the boat moves, the only way I could get the barometer/hygrometer/air temp was to convert the $OCMDA nmea sentence created from a BMP180 sensor (no hygrometer reading so the logbook autoentry is to zero) created by openplotter on a raspberry pi to $WIMDA like -
$WIMDA,,,1.018,B,22.6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*2A

Nearly always gets entered automatically when a new line is entered in the logbook.
This is done in node-red running on the Pi.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:42   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 282
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
.....

Nearly always gets entered automatically when a new line is entered in the logbook.
......
This statement "Nearly always".. is in my case "only sometimes" - rest I do exactly like you. I just find the logbook very fragile and buggy. Got the impression nobody really uses it as some irritations are too obvious not to get noticed by any user. Glad you got used to it as it is, I still hope for some programmer to smooth things out.
Don't really see the value to have the logbook as a plug-in to opencpn, would rather prefer to lift it into an independent app and feed NMEA data from e.g OpenPlotter. Have raised this before but got informed that this is not possible.

Thanks conachair for your comment!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:12   #21
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 5,031
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
This statement "Nearly always".. is in my case "only sometimes" - rest I do exactly like you. I just find the logbook very fragile and buggy. Got the impression nobody really uses it as some irritations are too obvious not to get noticed by any user. Glad you got used to it as it is, I still hope for some programmer to smooth things out.
Don't really see the value to have the logbook as a plug-in to opencpn, would rather prefer to lift it into an independent app and feed NMEA data from e.g OpenPlotter. Have raised this before but got informed that this is not possible.

Thanks conachair for your comment!
I've been using it for some time now, apart from sometimes not accepting WIMA pressure sentences it's been solid, and pressure gets logged short term elsewhere on my system anyway so it's not a big deal for me if it misses it once in a while. AFAIK The original programmer is no longer involved due to ill health , someone else did some work on it but nothing for a while so we might be stuck with what there is for now.
Living onboard full time I find it really useful logging where and when the boat moves with a click rather than filling up log paper logbooks. If there is a need to log anything then opencpn will be running so for me it's ideal as a plugin.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 17:20   #22
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 14,431
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Regarding logbook konni. Peter tulp (ptulp) and others have been active in updating and maintaini g logbook konni. There are avid users so don't despair. Please write your problems in detail with all the debug sleuthing in Tracker, under the pluggin, and contact ptulp. He is tremendously helpful.
Thanks.
Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:53   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 282
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Regarding logbook konni. Peter tulp (ptulp) and others have been active in updating and maintaini g logbook konni. There are avid users so don't despair. Please write your problems in detail with all the debug sleuthing in Tracker, under the pluggin, and contact ptulp. He is tremendously helpful.
Thanks.
Rick
Thanks Rick for following up- could you pls also add a " pi - logbook" section on the tracker. I fear under the general feature requests its lost.

Cheers - Freddie
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:17   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 282
Re: NMEA sentence for Instrument Panel Barometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
Thanks Rick for following up- could you pls also add a " pi - logbook" section on the tracker. I fear under the general feature requests its lost.

Cheers - Freddie
found it, was already there
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, men, nmea, rum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to generate nmea sentence for configuration Pegase Marine Electronics 4 03-03-2015 15:30
Radio Ocean O.Chart 7 NMEA 0183 Sentence moteje Marine Electronics 0 23-09-2013 04:13
NMEA WPL sentence support? s/v Jedi OpenCPN 9 04-03-2013 05:29
OpenCPN and NMEA sentence dmoore OpenCPN 8 21-12-2012 13:47
MOB NMEA sentence Cavalier Marine Electronics 13 27-08-2012 10:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.