Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42   #1
agv

Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft
nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

I am running OpenCPN 5.0 on a miniPC under Ubuntu 18.04 Everything runs fine except when I try to use the nmea debug window to check the nmea data stream. The nmea data are there, but there is a loss of focus of the mouse. It is impossible to close the Options window and thus also impossible to close the nmea debug window. So after opening the nmea debug window, the only possiblity is to close opencpn altogether by stopping the process in the Ubuntu system monitor.
I have tried varous tricks to get control back of the mouse after opening the debug window (alt-tab, alt-F4, etc), but no success.
So I stopped using the nmea debug window and have recently installed the Debugger plugin, which works fine. The nmea data are nicely visible and I have no problem in pausing the nmea datastream and closing the Debugger window.
Any explication why the nmea debug window is causing these problems and the Debugger pluin works fine? Is this Ubuntu specific?
Regards, Andries
agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:16   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

It doesn't work with any operating system. The programmers have tried several times to fix it with no success.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 13:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

You will have to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window" from the conections wondow. Closing the debug window itself , as CarCode correctly says, dont work - but you dosen't have to re-start opencpn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agv View Post
I am running OpenCPN 5.0 on a miniPC under Ubuntu 18.04 Everything runs fine except when I try to use the nmea debug window to check the nmea data stream. The nmea data are there, but there is a loss of focus of the mouse. It is impossible to close the Options window and thus also impossible to close the nmea debug window. So after opening the nmea debug window, the only possiblity is to close opencpn altogether by stopping the process in the Ubuntu system monitor.
I have tried varous tricks to get control back of the mouse after opening the debug window (alt-tab, alt-F4, etc), but no success.
So I stopped using the nmea debug window and have recently installed the Debugger plugin, which works fine. The nmea data are nicely visible and I have no problem in pausing the nmea datastream and closing the Debugger window.
Any explication why the nmea debug window is causing these problems and the Debugger pluin works fine? Is this Ubuntu specific?
Regards, Andries
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 13:50   #4
agv

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
You will have to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window" from the conections wondow. Closing the debug window itself , as CarCode correctly says, dont work - but you dosen't have to re-start opencpn.
Yes, I know that, but the problem is that the mouse focus is lost, so it is impossible to uncheck the 'show nmea debug window'. That's the point: after checking the nmea debug window, it is not possible to do anything in the Options window. The mouse has become useless.
Old 01-09-2019, 13:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Ok, using my desktop pc just now, it's no problem to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window"
Old 01-09-2019, 14:04   #6

Boat: Kristen 52

I’m testing Ubuntu 18.04.3 on Lenovo pc.
The version of Opencpn that I have is 4.99.1508(downloaded from snap) and like everyone, debug window works though I do have to uncheck box to close it. No issue with mouse control.
Linux is new to me, so I’m just stumbling through things.

Chuck
Old 01-09-2019, 14:12   #7
agv

I have tested this nmea debug window problem on a laptop running Windows 10 with OCPN 5.0 and found no problem there. So I wonder if it is Ubuntu specific.
Old 01-09-2019, 14:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

I'm using xubuntu 18.04 - no issues with mouse control either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
I’m testing Ubuntu 18.04.3 on Lenovo pc.
The version of Opencpn that I have is 4.99.1508(downloaded from snap) and like everyone, debug window works though I do have to uncheck box to close it. No issue with mouse control.
Linux is new to me, so I’m just stumbling through things.

Chuck

Tags
nmea, wind