Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42   #1
agv
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft
Posts: 3
nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

I am running OpenCPN 5.0 on a miniPC under Ubuntu 18.04 Everything runs fine except when I try to use the nmea debug window to check the nmea data stream. The nmea data are there, but there is a loss of focus of the mouse. It is impossible to close the Options window and thus also impossible to close the nmea debug window. So after opening the nmea debug window, the only possiblity is to close opencpn altogether by stopping the process in the Ubuntu system monitor.
I have tried varous tricks to get control back of the mouse after opening the debug window (alt-tab, alt-F4, etc), but no success.
So I stopped using the nmea debug window and have recently installed the Debugger plugin, which works fine. The nmea data are nicely visible and I have no problem in pausing the nmea datastream and closing the Debugger window.
Any explication why the nmea debug window is causing these problems and the Debugger pluin works fine? Is this Ubuntu specific?
Regards, Andries
__________________

agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:16   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kalamata, Greece
Boat: Amel Sharki
Posts: 2,089
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

It doesn't work with any operating system. The programmers have tried several times to fix it with no success.
__________________

CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 13:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 692
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

You will have to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window" from the conections wondow. Closing the debug window itself , as CarCode correctly says, dont work - but you dosen't have to re-start opencpn.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agv View Post
I am running OpenCPN 5.0 on a miniPC under Ubuntu 18.04 Everything runs fine except when I try to use the nmea debug window to check the nmea data stream. The nmea data are there, but there is a loss of focus of the mouse. It is impossible to close the Options window and thus also impossible to close the nmea debug window. So after opening the nmea debug window, the only possiblity is to close opencpn altogether by stopping the process in the Ubuntu system monitor.
I have tried varous tricks to get control back of the mouse after opening the debug window (alt-tab, alt-F4, etc), but no success.
So I stopped using the nmea debug window and have recently installed the Debugger plugin, which works fine. The nmea data are nicely visible and I have no problem in pausing the nmea datastream and closing the Debugger window.
Any explication why the nmea debug window is causing these problems and the Debugger pluin works fine? Is this Ubuntu specific?
Regards, Andries
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 13:50   #4
agv
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft
Posts: 3
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
You will have to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window" from the conections wondow. Closing the debug window itself , as CarCode correctly says, dont work - but you dosen't have to re-start opencpn.
Yes, I know that, but the problem is that the mouse focus is lost, so it is impossible to uncheck the 'show nmea debug window'. That's the point: after checking the nmea debug window, it is not possible to do anything in the Options window. The mouse has become useless.
agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 13:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 692
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

Ok, using my desktop pc just now, it's no problem to uncheck the "show NMEA debug window"
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:04   #6
Registered User
 
Freedom45's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific
Boat: Kristen 52
Posts: 281
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

Im testing Ubuntu 18.04.3 on Lenovo pc.
The version of Opencpn that I have is 4.99.1508(downloaded from snap) and like everyone, debug window works though I do have to uncheck box to close it. No issue with mouse control.
Linux is new to me, so Im just stumbling through things.

Chuck
__________________
I Sail, Therefor I ARRrrr...
Freedom45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:12   #7
agv
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft
Posts: 3
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

I have tested this nmea debug window problem on a laptop running Windows 10 with OCPN 5.0 and found no problem there. So I wonder if it is Ubuntu specific.
agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 692
Re: nmea debug window problem under Ubuntu

I'm using xubuntu 18.04 - no issues with mouse control either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
I’m testing Ubuntu 18.04.3 on Lenovo pc.
The version of Opencpn that I have is 4.99.1508(downloaded from snap) and like everyone, debug window works though I do have to uncheck box to close it. No issue with mouse control.
Linux is new to me, so I’m just stumbling through things.

Chuck
__________________

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nmea, wind

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DeBug window Version 5 (Ubuntu) prjacobs OpenCPN 2 23-08-2019 16:08
Nmea Debug Window ability to copy rgleason OpenCPN 14 07-04-2018 05:38
NMEA Debug Window. hasse_A OpenCPN 5 20-01-2017 03:13
NMEA debug window : changing NMEA datasource pegase22003 OpenCPN 6 29-02-2016 11:44
NMEA debug window pause button petter5 OpenCPN 1 21-12-2015 15:53

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.