Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 07:57   #1

Boat: Dufour 455 45ft
NMEA 2000 in opencpn?

MY boat has a newish raymarine system running nmea2000. I mistakenly ordered NGT 1 from Actisense only to find that opencpn only accepts 0183. Any plans to upgrade? Otherwise if I try different software i will lose all my tracks from previous years sailing when I had an 0183 system
warren2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:30   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: NMEA 2000 in opencpn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren2 View Post
MY boat has a newish raymarine system running nmea2000. I mistakenly ordered NGT 1 from Actisense only to find that opencpn only accepts 0183. Any plans to upgrade? Otherwise if I try different software i will lose all my tracks from previous years sailing when I had an 0183 system
You need to return the ngt1. I recommend the Yacht Devices wifi gateway or, if you have a wifi router aboard already, their Ethernet gateway:
https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...ys-and-routers
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:48   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

There exists an experimental N2K Actisense NGT-1 plug-in which needs still some testing and nursing. Not yet for production.

For other N2K adapters look for the TwoCan plug-in from the same author.

Another option is OpenPlotter. Either with a RasPi system in between as gateway or as Debian packages for Linux systems. Here you can use your NGT-1 without problems. I'm running such a configuration.

Of course gateways with NMEA0183 over Ethernet (WiFi or cable) from Digital Yacht or YachtDevices will do the job as well.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:39   #4

Boat: Dufour 455 45ft

Thanks for the replies. Using a raspberry pi is beyond me sorry - getting old. By plug in do you mean software? Any idea how long till its released?

Thanks
warren2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:50   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Plug-ins are small software add-ins to OpenCPN.
if you take a look into OpenCPN, you will see already some that come bundled with the core system. GRIB, WorldMagneticModel, Dashborad and the chart downloader.
Others are optional. For example those for licensed charts. Or plenty others.
If you go here you will get an idea what all is possible:
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadplugins.html

As always with free software: the plug-in will be ready when it works. How long that take. We don't know. Depends on the time we can dedicate to it's development.

I would not be shy to ask more computer oriented people at the marina to lend a hand - or ear..
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 13:13   #6

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You need to return the ngt1. I recommend the Yacht Devices wifi gateway or, if you have a wifi router aboard already, their Ethernet gateway:
https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...ys-and-routers
The Actisense NGT-1 can be used very well with the SignalK/canboat option.

It is standard supported in the SignalK server. From the SignalK server you can use it converted to MEA183 format for OpenCPN.

In the works is also an OpenCPN version with direct input of the SignalK stream. Is allready available in the beta status.

Don't return the NGT-1.

The SignalK server is allready installed in the OpenPlotter software. Or can be easily installed on the AMD 64 or 32 bits Linux systems like Mint Tricia, also with the OpenPlotter additions.

Works excellent.

There are other options, but you have allready the NGT-1.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 02:18   #7
Moo

Return the NGT and get an Actisense NGW. It converts N2k to NMEA0183. These units give very good performance and have a much better build quality than the Yachtdevices units. Make sure that you order your device with the SeaTalkNG interface so that you can just plug it into your existing Raymarine stuff.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 03:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Return the NGT and get an Actisense NGW. It converts N2k to NMEA0183. These units give very good performance and have a much better build quality than the Yachtdevices units. Make sure that you order your device with the SeaTalkNG interface so that you can just plug it into your existing Raymarine stuff.
The NGW only translate the NMEA2000 input to the restricted NMEA183.

The NGT-1 uses the canbus to receive the NMEA2000 input. With SignaLk server. The data is converted to SignalK, This can be used for NMEA183 in OpenCPN. The latest beta in the works of OpenCPN accepts SignalK input. Works very well.

SignalK has no restricted data set and can be used for several other purposes, like temperatue, engine data.

SignalK can produce all sort of instruments panels and acts as a multiplexer.

Bram
Old 16-03-2020, 16:28   #9
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
The NGW only translate the NMEA2000 input to the restricted NMEA183.

The NGT-1 uses the canbus to receive the NMEA2000 input. With SignaLk server. The data is converted to SignalK, This can be used for NMEA183 in OpenCPN. The latest beta in the works of OpenCPN accepts SignalK input. Works very well.

SignalK has no restricted data set and can be used for several other purposes, like temperatue, engine data.

SignalK can produce all sort of instruments panels and acts as a multiplexer.

Bram
The data set is only restricted in terms of the amount of datagrams active at any one time. There is more than enough for any pleasure yacht.

Signal K is great but the geeking required is not for everybody and as the OP asked this question it suggests that he is not a geek.. The NGW is a very fine product and will do what he needs. No need to over-complicate things. IMO
Old 17-03-2020, 10:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The data set is only restricted in terms of the amount of datagrams active at any one time. There is more than enough for any pleasure yacht.

Signal K is great but the geeking required is not for everybody and as the OP asked this question it suggests that he is not a geek.. The NGW is a very fine product and will do what he needs. No need to over-complicate things. IMO

The TS has allready an NGT-1. Why not use it ?. Perhaps impossible to return.

Bram
Old 17-03-2020, 14:33   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
The TS has allready an NGT-1. Why not use it ?. Perhaps impossible to return.
Bram
I agree with Bram that the NGW is a step back. If the NGT-1 is returnable then I still think the YachtDevices Ethernet gateway is the best choice. It can be used just as is (incl. nmea0183 over Ethernet) and it can be used to feed the SignalK server. It can do it all.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 16:35   #12
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I agree with Bram that the NGW is a step back. If the NGT-1 is returnable then I still think the YachtDevices Ethernet gateway is the best choice. It can be used just as is (incl. nmea0183 over Ethernet) and it can be used to feed the SignalK server. It can do it all.
Sure but he doesn't need a signal k server.

There are literally dozens of N2K, 0183 multiplexers, Ethernet, Wi-Fi gateway devices on the market. The Yachtdevices units are cheap for a reason; they are not very well built nor very robust electrically. The Actisense devices are both well built and robust.

The OP just wants to get N2K into OCPN for goodness sake.

Note : I have been messing with S2k, openplotter, opencpn for years and have made many ocean crossings and lots of coastal miles running them. But I enjoy cocking around with electronics; it is my profession. Most people just want to plug stuff in... There is no need for such evangelism / sacred cow, pushing to somebody who doesn't seem to be into it..... Ciao

Tags
enc, nmea, nmea 2000, opencpn