Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 15:54   #1

Boat: Nimbus 405 Coupe 13.3m
New Zealand Charts used by OpenCPN to be Withdrawn

If you use OpenCPN to navigate or plan trips in New Zealand then this post is important to you.

LINZ (Land Information New Zealand) provides free up to date navigation charts
in BSB format that can be imported in to OpenCPN. These look very similar to the
standard format paper charts.

The charts can be downloaded from:

https://www.linz.govt.nz/sea/charts/...arts#nzmariner

or via the chart downloader plugin.

This is part of a LINZ product named NZMariner.

LINZ plan to CEASE these charts from December 2021.

This is a valuable resource we are about to lose.

LINZ are inviting feedback on this subject by email to hydro@linz.govt.nz
(or via the link on the above web page).

If you use these charts and don't want to lose them then please email LINZ
with your feedback ASAP.

[ LINZ also provide encrypted charts via their ENC subscription service which incurs
a small one off cost. These can be used in OpenCPN with the s63 plugin. The use of these charts is quite complex and requires more computer resources. The ENC service is not affected by the above. ]
apm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 17:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New Zealand Charts used by OpenCPN to be Withdrawn

Where can we read this announcement?

Thanks
Dave

bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 18:09   #3

Boat: Sailboat

https://www.linz.govt.nz/sea/charts/...n-about-charts

Quote:
Note: LINZ is planning to withdraw its NZ Mariner product from December 2021. If you have feedback or questions about this please let us know by emailing hydro@linz.govt.nz(link sends e-mail)
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 18:13   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Where can we read this announcement?

Thanks
Dave

It’s actually at the BSB download link provided by the OP. Not that easy to see because it’s just two lines (the last paragraph above the table with the teal banner):
Quote:
Note: LINZ is planning to withdraw its NZ Mariner product from December 2021. If you have feedback or questions about this please let us know by emailing hydro@linz.govt.nz
As with the US it seems the raster product is going away. Too bad you have to register to get the ENCs, but not that terrible a cost.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 18:27   #5

Boat: Boatless (for now)

I am in NZ, have been since Dec 2019 at the beginning of cyclone season, and stayed ever since due to Covid-19 and the closing of tropical islands to cruising. That was our fourth Tropics - NZ circuit. I am using LINZ ENC charts of NZ (Cook Islands included, if we ever get there again). I am aware that LINZ will be withdrawing RNC charts as they migrate to all ENC cartography, like the USA. The ENC s63 procedure is not that difficult if you go slow and pay attention. Fussy setup, yes. Take Notes! LINZ provides updates each fortnight. No more marking charts from the Notice to Mariners. And remember that the s63 license is applicable globally. Cost is so low as to be considered a one-time administrative fee. IMHO, this is the direction of marine cartography. Now is a good time to practice.
A cool bonus is that LINZ makes the raster maps of land cartography available for free. These maps show topography and all the hiking trails. Download into OpenCPN and they geosync. It's great for coast cruising. By flipping between 'jelly beans' or 'piano keys' I can see the satellite view, the marine chart, or the surrounding topography.
OZwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 16:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZwingle View Post
I am in NZ, have been since Dec 2019 at the beginning of cyclone season, and stayed ever since due to Covid-19 and the closing of tropical islands to cruising. That was our fourth Tropics - NZ circuit. I am using LINZ ENC charts of NZ (Cook Islands included, if we ever get there again). I am aware that LINZ will be withdrawing RNC charts as they migrate to all ENC cartography, like the USA. The ENC s63 procedure is not that difficult if you go slow and pay attention. Fussy setup, yes. Take Notes! LINZ provides updates each fortnight. No more marking charts from the Notice to Mariners. And remember that the s63 license is applicable globally. Cost is so low as to be considered a one-time administrative fee. IMHO, this is the direction of marine cartography. Now is a good time to practice.
A cool bonus is that LINZ makes the raster maps of land cartography available for free. These maps show topography and all the hiking trails. Download into OpenCPN and they geosync. It's great for coast cruising. By flipping between 'jelly beans' or 'piano keys' I can see the satellite view, the marine chart, or the surrounding topography.
Hey, I’d love to know how to overlay satellite and land contour charts for NZ. Would you be able to assist with any info?
Cheers
MVJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 19:14   #7

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm42 View Post
LINZ also provide encrypted charts via their ENC subscription service which incurs a small one off cost. These can be used in OpenCPN with the s63 plugin. The use of these charts is quite complex and requires more computer resources. The ENC service is not affected by the above.
Huh... I had tried out the service, but don't recall any (monetary) cost for it.

The process seems straightforward; twice a year you download the base package, and thence the cumulative updates on a bi-weekly basis. Just remember to install the updated user permit file each time as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NZENC-downloads.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	246503   Click image for larger version

Name:	NZENC-permits.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	246504  

requiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 13:49   #8

requiem: the small cost is for the S63 User Permit sold by o-charts.org. If you are able to download, install, and use the NZ charts without a user permit and pc fingerprint, I would be interested in the details.
Old 06-10-2021, 14:01   #9

MV Justice: Start by reading Jon Hacking's great web page on using satellite images with OpenCPN. Practice with those tools so that you are comfortable with creating mbtiles from satellite images and loading them into OpenCPN. Then PM me for details about NZ DOC maps via LINZ. Making mbTiles

Tags
charts, enc, New Zealand, opencpn