Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:39   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Need some help

Open CPN Been having some problems with this program. I'm not sure if i got it installed properly. What I'm getting on the screen is a very crude mapping of the coast lines. As if it's not all loading. What I see is a general mapping of coasts. Very little detail. Can you not zoom down to see finer details or is this beyond the program. If i was sailing the full coast it might help a little but I couldn't navigate from what
I'm seeing. Could someone send me a screen shot of what I should be seeing. Like am i supposed to see depths of shorelines, detailed harbours etc. Maybe my directories are all screwed up. If also someone could send a screen shot of there directory I could compare. Also is there no available charting for the Mexico west coast that can be used in this program. I've hunted everywhere on the net and not able to find them. I've downloaded certain NOPA charts that are available for this OPEN CPN but when i zoom in it's a very crude chart. Maybe i'm expecting more out of this.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Need some help

dnimigon...
OpenCPN does not come with any charts pre-installed, How it looks with a chart loaded, you can see for example on the home page of http://www/opencpn.org or on many places in the manual bundled with your installation (? icon in the toolbar), which I'm pretty sure you have already read
West coast of Mexico is not covered by the NOAA charts. I'm pretty sure that http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-46771.html could help you to get started your search for the charts that you can use.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote