Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 18:14   #1

Need Advise,NEMA Components

Installing a NEMA 2000 network in my 1978 Pearson 35. Instead of using standard network backbone/connectors was planning on using Actisense SBN-2 Small Boat NMEA 2000 Network[ instead, far less fittings required than the traditional back bone cable. ANY COMMENTS?
I am using an Asus Zen book for running OpenCPN > Laptop using, Actisense W2K-1 NMEA 2000 to Wi-Fi Gateway for a wireless connection, it converts 2000 to 0183 and establishes an access point for my laptop wireless WIFI. ANY COMMENTS?

Thanks in advance for any views or suggestions

.LWL
leo lotowycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 06:17   #2

Re: Need Advise,NEMA Components

Quote:
Installing a NEMA 2000 network in my 1978 Pearson 35. Instead of using standard network backbone/connectors was planning on using Actisense SBN-2 Small Boat NMEA 2000 Network instead, far less fittings required than the traditional back bone cable. ANY COMMENTS?
While the SBN-2 may appear attractive, you need to consider what NMEA 2000 devices (displays, transducers, interfaces, gateways etc), you plan on installing.

Most NMEA 2000 wind transducers include the terminating resistor and therefore are installed as part of the backbone because the cable length exceeds that for a trunk cable. It appears as though the SBN-2 includes the terminating resistors which could be problematic if you are connecting a NMEA 2000 wind transducer.

In addition you need to consider what different manufacturers stipulate for their NMEA 2000 networking requirements and also consider other options such as wireless transducers.

Suggest that you read some of the NMEA 2000 network planning guides available from the various manufacturers before wandering down the DIY path and making your purchasing decisions.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 07:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Price out a Vesper XB-8000 with WiFi. It will do all the converting, provide WiFi AND serve as an AIS transponder.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 17:00   #4

Boat: Pearson 35

[QUOTE=stevead;3261322]While the SBN-2 may appear attractive, you need to consider what NMEA 2000 devices (displays, transducers, interfaces, gateways etc), you plan on installing.

Most NMEA 2000 wind transducers include the terminating resistor and therefore are installed as part of the backbone because the cable length exceeds that for a trunk cable. It appears as though the SBN-2 includes the terminating resistors which could be problematic if you are connecting a NMEA 2000 wind transducer.

In addition you need to consider what different manufacturers stipulate for their NMEA 2000 networking requirements and also consider other options such as wireless transducers.

Suggest that you read some of the NMEA 2000 network planning guides available from the various manufacturers before wandering down the DIY path and making

Thank you for your advise. I am establishing a small network with 4 components, depth sounder, wifi router, antenna for GPS, a gnx 20 instrument for reading depth. All components will be Garmin Marine. Maybe someday I will expand the network with an autopilot. Time will tell.

I am an older guy that rebuilt my Pearson 35 stem tio stern. Only took me 10 years. The boat has been on the hard for 25 years. Every system is new within the ship.
I live on the gulf in Florida small town, Venice, I want to sail the. Gulf from Tampa bay to Naples and all the islands in between.
Bought the boat in Massachusetts, had the bottom soda blasted, no blisters. Love her full keel 3'9" draft great for Florida, with center board down almost 96" draft, she is a Tuna and very sea worthy.
My name is Leo and nice to meet you. If you make to Florida and need a place to stay give me a call or email. Or just want to talk boats and boating.
Lwl@gmx.com
941 586 3015
SINCERELY
LEO
By the way I.ove opencaptain
Leolotowycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 17:34   #5

Boat: Pearson 35

Snore
Thanks for your advice. Live not far from you down 75 to venice. Having my boat shipped to Branedon Beach Marina. Have you heard any negatives bout it.?
Stay in touch
Leo
Old 26-10-2020, 04:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Need Advise,NEMA Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolotowycz View Post
Snore
Thanks for your advice. Live not far from you down 75 to venice. Having my boat shipped to Branedon Beach Marina. Have you heard any negatives bout it.?
Stay in touch
Leo

No info. Venice is a pretty good inlet. Just be sure the engine is well maintained.

Also Practical Sailor had a great article a few months back on this very topic.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote