Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 05:55   #1

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Navico radar plugin v3.0 released

Dear radar users,

The Navico radar plugin team is happy to announce that we've wrapped up the development of v3.0, and the production release is now available.

Here is a typical screenshot with a separate radar PPI window and automatic target detection in place (the ARPA targets):

See https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar...eases/tag/v3.0 for the downloads for Microsoft Windows and macOS in executable format, sources and instructions on how to build on other OS.

If Dave or Pavel could be so kind to update the Ubuntu PPA archive that would be lovely.

Note that we have found two issues with how the plugin and the core OpenCPN application interact, which we have fixed with two patches to OpenCPN itself. At the link above you will find a replacement 4.8.0 opencpn.exe for Microsoft Windows. Patch instructions for the OpenCPN tree are also available. These issues were already present with the previous plugin version, we just noticed them last month.

The issues are:
  • If you do not run with a patched version of OpenCPN then the AIS and route rollover windows can be corrupted if you have (had) an open separate radar PPI window. Workaround: hide PPI window(s) and restart OpenCPN.
  • Rollover windows removal is buggy if you have the radar update speed above 1. Workaround: set update speed to 1 and restart OpenCPN.

From the release notes:

The following functional changes have been implemented compared to v2.1:
  • Radar antenna offset relative to GPS can be set, for better overlay at very short range.
  • Revert range zooming to be "+" for longer range (zoom out) and "-" for shorter range (zoom in).
  • PPI head up mode is stabilized by the compass when a compass is available.
  • PPI course up mode is synchronized to OpenCPN course up mode and uses the same algorithm.
  • AIS and ARPA targets are (optionally) shown on the PPI windows.
  • Radar targets can be selected with the mouse and then added as a MARPA target.
  • Guard zones can generate ARPA targets.

Many thanks to @NahanniV for helping us with testing!

Kind regards,
Håkan
Douwe
Kees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 14.51.38.jpg
Views:	3110
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	156598  
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 47
Re: Navico radar plugin v3.0 released

great work - thanks
Ydunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:22   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Added information on Ethernet Wiring for RI10 to Chartplotter and RI10 to Radar.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...o_chartplotter
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:08   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Radar Interface (RI10) to Chartplotter

Radar Interface (RI10) to Radar Scanner
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 22:13   #5

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

great job.

I´m thinking about to update my radar configuration with a broadbandradar. For testing I downloaded the plugin and played around with it. Cause I don´t have a Radar yet I used the emulator mode.

The ebl/vrm is set only by the mouse courser right? It will be nice if there will be a possibility to set values for theese instruments to generate e.g. a bearing line with exact 200° (or what else).

The picture in the emulator mode looks a Little bit like an old testpicture for tv. Is this right?

When I decide to update my radar config I will use it with a raspberry pi. Does anyone use the plugin and a navico Radar with a pi? Does it works? Any Special things to know? Or just plug the ethernet jack to the pi and be happy

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 00:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29 View Post
The ebl/vrm is set only by the mouse courser right? It will be nice if there will be a possibility to set values for theese instruments to generate e.g. a bearing line with exact 200° (or what else).
Correct. Happy to accept pull requests, but I don't see what you would use the EBL at a fixed heading for. You could always abuse an arc-type guard zone where you do enter a relative heading.

Once you see the guard zone convert detected targets into ARPA targets you won't need the EBL anymore

Quote:
The picture in the emulator mode looks a Little bit like an old testpicture for tv. Is this right?
Correct. It is used mainly to exercise the display methods. If you can see the test picture, the graphics driver will be able to cope with a real radar as well (although that will use more CPU.) We could use someone that is willing to write a 'playback' fake radar that reads PCAP files directly.

Quote:
When I decide to update my radar config I will use it with a raspberry pi. Does anyone use the plugin and a navico Radar with a pi? Does it works? Any Special things to know? Or just plug the ethernet jack to the pi and be happy
I don't see why it would not work. It may be a little taxing to a RPi2, but a 3 should be able to cope. I tried a RPi3 about a year ago but at that time the OpenGL drivers were not good enough yet. YMMV. The Ethernet side will work fine.

You could always upgrade to a slightly better mini PC -- $200-$300 should get you a decent system with good-enough OpenGL support.
Old 10-10-2017, 00:50   #7

Rick, thanks. Can you update the requirements? Plugin 3.0 requires OpenCPN 4.8, or even better, our own version with 2 patches. See the github pages for details.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:36   #8

Hi,

@merrimac: Thanks for your explanations.

Since yet I use a "normal" yacht radar, a stand alone solution.
I don´t use radar only as an anti-collision instrument. It´s also a great help for navigation.
I find it very usable to set a bearing line and/or a range ring and then waiting for an echo (e.g. from a special buoy) to cross it. It´s like a compass bearing in normal eye based navigation.

The chartoverlay is great when the chart really looks like the real world. But when e.g. buoys are replaced (and the chart is not corrected yet) then chart overlay and bearings thereout doesn´t work (or will be wrong).

You´re right the guard zone can be set with precise values. But a guard zone is not a replacement for EBL/VRM (my opinion).
So that is the reasen for asking for a possibility to set EBL/VRM also with values not only with the cursor.

But maybe I´m to connectet to "pure" radar pictures

Regards

Andreas
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45   #9

Boat: Amel Sharki

Andreas,

first you need to switch to a Broadband Radar to use this plugin. It does not work with your old analog radar.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56   #10

Hi,

@CarCode: Gerhard, I know that . I wrote that I just playing around with the plugin and found some points to ask.

The old analog radar will never work with oc thats logical

Regards

Andreas
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32   #11

Hi,

@merrimac: In the parallel thread I found a soloution for the ebl/vrm theme. Just using draw and an empty chart group.

I will try this and play with it.

Regards

Andreas
Old 10-10-2017, 12:56   #12

Boat: Najad 34

Andreas
I may have misunderstood your last post but in "Radarwindow" you can use the inbound EBL. For chart overlay you better use the Ocpn Draw_pi plugin. There you can play with EBLs to fit all your needs, I suppose. See my shot. The blue line.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBL.PNG
Views:	313
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	157497  
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 22:24   #13

Hakan,

yes, I found your (and an other) suggestion in the neighbour thread.

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Old 13-11-2017, 23:51   #14

Hi,

when using a Navico (B&G, Simrad, Lowrance) Broadbandradar without a "Navico" display but with a computer and OC how can I get a new firmware on the Radar?
When using a Navico Display there is a Point in the menue and after ticking this a new Firmware located on a sd Card will upload to the radar.

A describtion as example you can find here: http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Globa...mrad_BandG.pdf

Does anybody know how to upload the firmware to the radar without such a navico display and is it useful to add this function to a later Version of the navico plugin?

Regards

Andreas
Old 14-11-2017, 00:30   #15

Quote:
Hi,
Does anybody know how to upload the firmware to the radar without such a navico display and is it useful to add this function to a later Version of the navico plugin?
We don't know how to do this.

It is very hard to reverse engineer this as there aren't that many software updates. In fact the last firmware for the 4G is from 2012. Even if you did would you be willing to risk 'bricking' your radar with software in development? I wouldn't and I won't.

You're more than welcome to do the work yourself and contribute it back to the community ...

Tags
lease, navico, plug, radar