Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 00:24   #121

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Navico radar plugin v2.0 released

In head_up mode the radar in not using a compass. You get the raw radar image as received. When you make a turn, only the beams received after the turn have the right orientation on your screen.
In course-up mode the program is constantly rotating the image to the average course of the last 10 seconds. So when you make a turn the whole image rotates almost immediately. Very nice steering this way.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 01:08   #122

Thanks Douwe, I'm looking forward to using it this way!
jimthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 01:26   #123

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I have:

"Magnetic heading HDM XXX.X"

So, the scanner is not getting my heading.

Heading on my system comes from my autopilot Raymaring 3G and gets to the NMEA2000 bus through a Raymarine Seatalk<->NMEA2000 converter. Other NMEA2000 instruments see HDG OK.

What PGN is the RI-11 box looking for ?

I also have a Vesper XB8000 that could put heading onto the NMEA2000 bus.

Any Idea how to debug this ?
Dont know about debugging but I have an S3G providing heading info to OpenCPN and the radar head. I used an AT10 (not sure if its HD or not) to convert the 0183 output from the S3G into the 2000 format required by the Simnet bus. I daisy chained the AT10 to a USB hub that feeds the laptop, both systems provide radar overlay - I have an NSS8 as well.

It seemed overly complex as the AT10 had to be recognised by the NSS8 before that system would accept the heading data and overlay. So I had to put in a Simnet bus connecting the AT10, RI-11 & NSS8. Douwe's solution of hardwiring 2000 output direct to the radar cables sounds simpler but not sure that would also work with a Navico plotter. I'd certainly try outputting fast data onto the 2000 bus if you can.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 19:51   #124

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
Dont know about debugging but I have an S3G providing heading info to OpenCPN and the radar head. I used an AT10 (not sure if its HD or not) to convert the 0183 output from the S3G into the 2000 format required by the Simnet bus. I daisy chained the AT10 to a USB hub that feeds the laptop, both systems provide radar overlay - I have an NSS8 as well.

It seemed overly complex as the AT10 had to be recognised by the NSS8 before that system would accept the heading data and overlay. So I had to put in a Simnet bus connecting the AT10, RI-11 & NSS8. Douwe's solution of hardwiring 2000 output direct to the radar cables sounds simpler but not sure that would also work with a Navico plotter. I'd certainly try outputting fast data onto the 2000 bus if you can.
Thanks.

The green LED next to the Simnet connector on my RI-11 blinks green (50%) when the NMEA2000<->Simbet cable is connected; If I pull the cable it goes to solid green.

I can't find any documentation of what this light means ?
What is yours doing ?

I don't have any other Navico devices other than the RADAR on the NMEA/Simnet bus.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 05:06   #125

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Thanks.

The green LED next to the Simnet connector on my RI-11 blinks green (50%) when the NMEA2000<->Simbet cable is connected; If I pull the cable it goes to solid green.

I can't find any documentation of what this light means ?
What is yours doing ?.....
Kinda difficult to answer as I installed it behind a ceiling panel that takes a bit of getting out and I'm making passages at the mo'. If I find out I'll let you know
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:46   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
I have put a new beta version of the br24radar_pi at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6spxpctqx...win32.exe?dl=0
This version solves the issues #241 and #242
I am trying this version, but having some difficulties:

1/ "Multi Sweep filter" (from the main_menu->View) kills the RADAR image except blue lines around some ARPA targets.

2/ Sometimes the RADAR image will dissapear but the transmit/standby button still shows transmit. pressing the button starts it again. Not sure how to reproduce.

3/ The ARPA targets persist in the AIS Target List even after they have timed out.

I wonder if it would be possible to have alternate timeouts for the ARPA targets, they are updated more frequently than AIS and I think they should time out faster. Would it be possible to remove them immediately if desired ?
Old 20-06-2017, 14:20   #127

Boat: Najad 34

JM
Quote:
I wonder if it would be possible to have alternate timeouts for the ARPA targets, they are updated more frequently than AIS and I think they should time out faster. Would it be possible to remove them immediately if desired ?
On OCPN version 4.5 and higher the (M)ARPA targets will disappear immediately when BR24_pi send status lost. That's how it works for me.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:42   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
JM
On OCPN version 4.5 and higher the (M)ARPA targets will disappear immediately when BR24_pi send status lost. That's how it works for me.

Håkan
Thanks, I am at 4.4. Will update when I can.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:26   #129

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
I am trying this version, but having some difficulties:

1/ "Multi Sweep filter" (from the main_menu->View) kills the RADAR image except blue lines around some ARPA targets.

2/ Sometimes the RADAR image will disapear but the transmit/standby button still shows transmit. pressing the button starts it again. Not sure how to reproduce.
Late reply from my side, been sailing a lot recently.

I tried 1/. Indeed the "Multi Sweep filter" kills the image. This is a bug (now issue #246) that I have not noticed as I have not been using the "Multi Sweep filter" recently. "Multi Sweep filter" is meant to kill incidental radar returns, but ARPA does this in a much better way. "Multi Sweep filter" gives the risk that you miss fast moving targets, with ARPA this risk is reduced. So I wonder if I should solve this issue or consider the "Multi Sweep filter" redundant and take it out.
Currently in an guard zone I normally don't use the "Alarm" but only "ARPA". The actual alarm is then raised by the OCPN AIS function when required.

2/ I have not been able to reproduce this, but I will monitor it.

3/ Answered by Håkan

Thanks for reporting,
Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Late reply from my side, been sailing a lot recently.

I tried 1/. Indeed the "Multi Sweep filter" kills the image. This is a bug (now issue #246) that I have not noticed as I have not been using the "Multi Sweep filter" recently. "Multi Sweep filter" is meant to kill incidental radar returns, but ARPA does this in a much better way. "Multi Sweep filter" gives the risk that you miss fast moving targets, with ARPA this risk is reduced. So I wonder if I should solve this issue or consider the "Multi Sweep filter" redundant and take it out.
Currently in an guard zone I normally don't use the "Alarm" but only "ARPA". The actual alarm is then raised by the OCPN AIS function when required.

2/ I have not been able to reproduce this, but I will monitor it.

3/ Answered by Håkan

Thanks for reporting,
Douwe Fokkema
Thanks, updated to latest version of OCPN and it is working well.

Activating the multi-sweep filter from the guard zone menu is not causing a problem. Removing that functionality would be fine with me.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:01   #131

Just a thought after spending some time using the guard zone function.

It would be fantastic if setting the zone borders could be accomplished in a GUI, dragging the ranges, and start/stop points.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:07   #132

I have not been able to get my setup to use the headding data from my NMEA2000 network.

I am not able to "see" the traffic on NMEA2000, but the heading pgn is being received by other devices.

I have no Navico chart plotter, and I am wondering if anyone else has this working without a chart plotter on the network?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:50   #133

Boat: Najad 34

JM
Not me. I'm using a compass connected to my Simrad IS15 NMEA 0183 network and further in to OCPN. The updated rate is 1 Hz and the ARPA data is somewhat disturbed in the initializing part of a new target. But after a while both course and speed are rather reliable.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
JM
Not me. I'm using a compass connected to my Simrad IS15 NMEA 0183 network and further in to OCPN. The updated rate is 1 Hz and the ARPA data is somewhat disturbed in the initializing part of a new target. But after a while both course and speed are rather reliable.
Håkan
I have 10hz NMEA0183 into OCPN and it is working well, but I am trying to get it to work directly into the scanner via the ri-11.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:02   #135

Maybe someone has he answer to this, While radar is new to me, my main priority is to become proficient n its use. I was anchored in a river and many small fishing boats were passing me as they returned from a day's fishing. I could see them clearly in he radar as they approached. And yet they did not trigger the guard zone alarm. Why is this so??
jimthom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, navico, plug, radar