Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 09:07   #31

Re: Multiple Instances doesn't work in 3.2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
... Using "127.0.x.x" instead of "localhost" immediately fixed that. But I will have to disconnect my computers from my home network and see if UDP still works with the various IP addresses, since I have no local WiFi network on the boat. Alternatively, I could set up an ad hoc network from my netbook, or consider a ZyXEL MWR102, which has relatively low power consumption.
I turned off the WiFi on my netbook and tried the UDP sharing, and it would not work. If I turn on the WiFi, it starts to work as soon as the DHCP server assigns an IP address. And then when I turn off WiFi again, the NMEA stream on UDP immediately stops. It's like the machine loses its IP address assignment as soon as it leaves the network.

I ran the same test on wired ethernet and got the same results. As soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable, the UDP communication stops.

So I tried assigning a static IP address to the wired ethernet port, and got the same results. Even if static IP is assigned, the UDP appears to need a running network to function.

I just realized that these tests were done on 3.2.2. I will have to re-run the same tests on 3.3.1117 to see if there is a different result.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 09:45   #32

Boat: Najad 34

RD...
Strange.. I've run this on OCPN varying versions from 3.1.xx, don't remember now. And without any assigned network, e.g. no wire and wire-less deactivated. As said O versions prior to today's betas was sometimes a bit tricky to get going but now I've no problem.
For the very moment I've a Win7 and OCPN 3.1117 running beside me w/o any net connected and I tested with and without an assigned IP address to the wired network card. I've also checked with ipconfig and the IP-address list is empty.
I'm using the 192.168.x.x/11010 on master/sender and only port /11010 assigned to the portable.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 05:23   #33

Boat: Najad 34

RD..
I've tried to stress my local host connection to fail to see if I can be of any supports.
A "silly" question:
Did you checked the master's NMEA window so there really are blue lines going out?

While testing different filter settings I succeed to eventually fool the filter logic so everything was filtered and no lines out. My intentions was to simplify the filter protecting local host echoing of data. And think I found another way. Instead of filter out incoming data by a massive "Ignore commands" I put a never used single "Commands to receive". I used the "XYZ". See my screen shoot. (Though in Swedish I hope you can recognise what's used?)
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_filter.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	72888  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote