Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 10:01   #1

mbtiles not working

Hi Everybody,

i want to travel the telemark canal in norway and there are no Charts available. So i tried this:

OSM QA tiles country extracts

then i unpack the file and when i import the charts in OpenCpn i only get an red square around norway but no charts. See attachement. I zoomed in and nothing happend.

Other charts (cm93 or openseamap charts from here: https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstr...ap/charts/kap/) are working.

But the telemark canal is not included.

I think i somewhere make a mistake but where?

I am working on Linux Ubuntu with OpenCpn 5.6.2

I hope someone can give me a hint?

Thanks in advance
Lordu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-07-04 18-59-40.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	260523  
LordU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 17:52   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: mbtiles not working

The files have for OCPN a unknown format:
image.cpp:2853 Unknown image data format.
And what said on the linked page it's about OpenStreetMaps so not much for cruising.
If you'd cruise Norway I suggest O-charts the Norwegian package. It's cheap and very fine.
https://o-charts.org/shop/en/oesenc/24-no.html
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 18:28   #3

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Lordu, welcome to Cruisers Forum!

I don't know anything about the package you downloaded, so can't really comment there. I will say that, having used KAPs for 5 years, we now prefer mbTiles. KAPs would probably be OK for a short passage, but both KAPs & mbTiles have to be made at sufficient resolution to show you everything you want to know about, & many that we see published don't have that resolution. It takes time to make high-quality charts, & there's lots of junk out there.

What many folks don't seem to realize is that it's quite easy to make your own high-quality, high resolution, perfectly geo-referenced charts yourself. I've published a How-To guide to Making mbTiles that explains how. I've tried to write it so even novices can make their own high-quality charts, so I welcome comments & questions.

Unfortunately, it depends on the SAS Planet program, & SAS is Windows only, so you'll need a Windows environment to make your mbTiles. Once made, the mbTiles should work fine in your Ubuntu OpenCPN.

The page also focuses largely on automating the process, so you can make LOTS of charts relatively quickly. If you only want charts for a relatively small number of areas, then you can do so with SAS directly, without having to run the Sat2Chart automation engine (which is also Windows only).
Old 04-07-2022, 20:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
The files have for OCPN a unknown format:
image.cpp:2853 Unknown image data format.
And what said on the linked page it's about OpenStreetMaps so not much for cruising.
If you'd cruise Norway I suggest O-charts the Norwegian package. It's cheap and very fine.
https://o-charts.org/shop/en/oesenc/24-no.html

Hi Hakan,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunatly the telemark kanal is not included. It is a Channel into the middle of Norway. (See Screenshot - yellow Area)
And i have sufficient cmap charts for the Northsea and Baltic Sea. But the charts ends at the entrance of the channel.

But the Page you mentioned looks good and i will give it a try when my charts are outdated someday.

Cheers
Lordu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-07-05 05-20-50.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	260543  
Old 04-07-2022, 21:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Lordu, welcome to Cruisers Forum!

I don't know anything about the package you downloaded, so can't really comment there. I will say that, having used KAPs for 5 years, we now prefer mbTiles. KAPs would probably be OK for a short passage, but both KAPs & mbTiles have to be made at sufficient resolution to show you everything you want to know about, & many that we see published don't have that resolution. It takes time to make high-quality charts, & there's lots of junk out there.

What many folks don't seem to realize is that it's quite easy to make your own high-quality, high resolution, perfectly geo-referenced charts yourself. I've published a How-To guide to Making mbTiles that explains how. I've tried to write it so even novices can make their own high-quality charts, so I welcome comments & questions.

Unfortunately, it depends on the SAS Planet program, & SAS is Windows only, so you'll need a Windows environment to make your mbTiles. Once made, the mbTiles should work fine in your Ubuntu OpenCPN.

The page also focuses largely on automating the process, so you can make LOTS of charts relatively quickly. If you only want charts for a relatively small number of areas, then you can do so with SAS directly, without having to run the Sat2Chart automation engine (which is also Windows only).

Hi Jon Hacking,

i found your page earlier and the windows thing is/was the problem because i dont use windows.

But when it is the only way to get some computer maps i will give it a try. Hopefully thinks will work in VirtualBox.

I have some old paper charts from the telemark channel (from 1982) and i could not manage to digitize them because the projection and the datum dont seem to be correct. On The Chart is not stated how they are made. I tried everything here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...version_manual

There is a copyright issue in norway so there are no digital charts and no new paper charts available. One can borrow charts at the first sluice when you dont have them allready.

So i thought some OpenStreetmap Charts would be an usefull addition to the paper charts.

So i will install Windows in an VirtualBox und use your tutorial page. I thought it would be a bit easier to just download mbtiles chart from OpenStreemap with the above mentioned page (and i tried others too)

I thought mbtiles are mbtiles which seems not to be true. :-)

I will state here if i got it done.

Thanks and cheers

Lordu
Old 04-07-2022, 23:06   #6

Boat: CM50 (launch 2025)

Hi Lordu,

I am also a Linux user but have to use Windows regularly for some programs.
I was using Virtualbox previously but found it quite buggy and had lost a whole image more than once.
Now using VMware Workstation Player which is free for personal use and a lot more stable than Virtualbox.
ozolli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 23:43   #7

Boat: Saxe Ocean

Navionics has maps for Telemarkskanalen, https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...D%7BbiJmacu%40
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work