Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 16:47   #1

Mark deactivating @ 50'

Hi there - when we have a mark activated to drive to it deactivates when the GPS is within about 50'. Is there a way to change this? Thanks!
tfenn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Mark deactivating @ 50'

Is that feet or minutes?

Waypoint Arrival Circle Radius sets this distance.

"Tools-Options-Ships-Routes/Waypoints" for the default or right click "Waypoint-Properties" to change it for individual waypoints.

(The standard default it 0.05 NM which is 303 feet or 0.05 minutes )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:09   #3

Thanks - we’ll take a look at that setting! That would be 50 feet.
Old 27-05-2020, 18:45   #4

So I think the issue is that it won’t let you set it to 0 so that you can drive all the way to the marker and there is a minimum that prevents it. I’m not in front of it right now but I think it’s 3 or 10 meters and we need closer accuracy for what we’re doing. Is there a way to override the minimum distance?
Old 27-05-2020, 18:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfenn00 View Post
So I think the issue is that it won’t let you set it to 0 so that you can drive all the way to the marker and there is a minimum that prevents it. I’m not in front of it right now but I think it’s 3 or 10 meters and we need closer accuracy for what we’re doing. Is there a way to override the minimum distance?

You can set it to 0.001NM which is 6ft or 1.85 meters.
Is your GPS that accurate and your boat that small?
Old 28-05-2020, 14:11   #6
Moo

Quote:
Why do you need the mark active to drive all the way to it? Some context on what you are trying to achieve would help
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 14:20   #7

For context... we have some work where we locate derelict fishing gear with sidescan sonar (nets, crab pots) and they are maked with GPS coordinates which we then return to at a later date. We throw a clump weight out for divers to follow which needs to be very accurate otherwise it becomes an inefficient process. We've used Nobeltec in the past and have been trying this instead but the inability to be literally on top of our target it making it difficult. Hope that makes sense!
Old 28-05-2020, 14:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For context... we have some work where we locate derelict fishing gear with sidescan sonar (nets, crab pots) and they are maked with GPS coordinates which we then return to at a later date. We throw a clump weight out for divers to follow which needs to be very accurate otherwise it becomes an inefficient process. We've used Nobeltec in the past and have been trying this instead but the inability to be literally on top of our target it making it difficult. Hope that makes sense!

Sounds like that 0.001NM setting should do the trick.
Old 28-05-2020, 15:14   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

I've had the same frustration sometimes, I want to see bearing and range to the mark regardless of the fact that I just drove over it. Would be nice if setting the distance to 0.000 would never turn off the mark, you either turn it off manually or activate a new mark to turn off the old one.

Probably a pretty small use case, but maybe worth a flyspray entry?

[Edit] Thinking about it a little, I assume (because I've never tried it) that the MOB mark doesn't get turned off automatically when you arrive? So a way to treat other marks in the same manner would be nice - they're not waypoints, they're....?

For the OP, as a workaround, maybe you can set your mark as the MOB and see if that works?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 16:28   #10
Moo

Quote:
Makes total sense. But 6ft is well within the expected GPS accuracy unless you are using a DGPs system?

I suggest a feature request to never deactivate the goto on selected marks as there are many cases where you might overshoot and need to go back.
Old 28-05-2020, 17:49   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The weighpoint should remain on the plotter just it will quit navigating to it at the distance you program, you must be relying on the autopilot to drive you right over the spot.
It’s unlikely that a civilian GPS without a differential GPS will be that accurate, to find dive sites “wrecks” we would always have to drive to the GPS weighpoint and then slowly circle around with the Sonar until we found it, then I’d toss my Son in with 10 feet of SS chain and the rode to tie us in to the wreck so we could all dive on it, but the GPS would only get us close to a sunk tug boat, not put us on top of it.
Sometimes it would, next time it wouldn’t.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 17:59   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Once the go-to function deactivates O no longer displays (easily) distance and bearing to the waypoint. And it no longer transmits it over NMEA.

In our use case we have anchorage waypoints that we've gotten from other people. We'll head into that waypoint and see what it looks like. If we like the general look then I generally do a "survey" of the surrounding area with the depthsounder to see how I feel about the area as a whole. So I may be 100 yards/meters south of the waypoint, then west, etc. I'd love to have it keep the waypoint active and transmitting range and bearing over NMEA so I can see where the "anchor spot" is relative to my current position while "surveying." Yes, my eyes work, and they're useful, but knowing I got 150 yards away rather than 100 would also be useful since I don't have that much scope I don't really need to survey that far away.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 18:14   #13
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The weighpoint should remain on the plotter just it will quit navigating to it at the distance you program, you must be relying on the autopilot to drive you right over the spot.
It’s unlikely that a civilian GPS without a differential GPS will be that accurate, to find dive sites “wrecks”
Any GPS should be better than 10m (33') all the time and with WAAS (most of the world now and on all GPS for the last 10 years) within 2m (6.5').
Old 28-05-2020, 18:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Any GPS should be better than 10m (33') all the time and with WAAS (most of the world now and on all GPS for the last 10 years) within 2m (6.5').
Maybe, true WAAS requires a ground station, something that boats don’t often have
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_A...ntation_System
WAAS GPS is still as far as I know not allowed for precision approaches, I know those without ground stations certainly are not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 18:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Makes total sense. But 6ft is well within the expected GPS accuracy unless you are using a DGPs system?

I suggest a feature request to never deactivate the goto on selected marks as there are many cases where you might overshoot and need to go back.

I'd support that request.