Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 21:08   #1

Boat: Riviera 33'
Lightbulb Lowrance HDSG2T NMEA TCP streaming

So I was reading panbo and came across this nugget:
If you know your display's IP address you can use a GoFree enabled plotter as an Ethernet TCP server for NMEA 0183 data. Go to Network > NMEA0183 > Ethernet for information on how to connect your app. My HDS is only connected to NMEA 2000 sensors, but it generates a full NMEA 0183 stream with all available data (sensors, GPS, AIS). It even includes a non-standard sentence so that air temperature, heel, trim, barometer and rudder data can be transferred. Very well done!
I am a bit numpty at this marine networking - but let's assume I have the HDS connected to onboard network, and my laptop is connected to the same network.

In OpenCPN I should be able to add the TCP stream from the HDS as a data connection, right?

But does OpenCPN recognise all the different sentences in a TCP stream? I ask because I understand that most NMEA0183 is 4800 baud but AIS is 38400 - would I need to add the TCP stream twice at different baud rates? Or will OpenCPN filter and use as appropriate all the sentences in a TCP stream?

Just trying to figure out if this would work as a nice backup/second chartplotter solution before I spend $$$.

Thanks.
Old 14-05-2013, 21:18   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Lowrance HDSG2T NMEA TCP streaming

Twisticles...
Ethernet is not a serial link, there are no baudrates. You just need to set one connection for the TCP stream. OpenCPN will happily route all the sentences in the stream according to how you set it up and use those it needs/recognizes.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 21:27   #3

Boat: Riviera 33'
Re: Lowrance HDSG2T NMEA TCP streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Twisticles...
Ethernet is not a serial link, there are no baudrates. You just need to set one connection for the TCP stream. OpenCPN will happily route all the sentences in the stream according to how you set it up and use those it needs/recognizes.

Pavel
Argh, do I feel like an idiot. Deep down I knew that...

Seems like a great feature of the HDSG2T to provide all those nice NMEA0183 sentences, even converted NMEA200

Tags
nmea