Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34   #31

Boat: Bounty 257 Offshore Pilot
Re: Lowrance 4G Radar, HDS-Gen3 Wi-Fi, & OpenCPN

This is really just a "TOY" for me. The Lowrance/Navico network & system on my boat is all wired & robust. (like any electronics, any piece can need rebooting at random times) But it is a good, solid, wired, system that I have many on-water days with already and I can trust (as well as you can 'trust' any marine electronics more advanced that a Compass)
In preparation for SE Alaska this summer I went looking for a "backup" nav system that was PC based, 'cuz I don't have a Smart Phone (and don't want one)
I found OpenCPN and fell in love....as a VERY LOW TECH GUY, I was able to figure it out! I bought a cheap USB-GPS Antenna, and...BANG....I have backup nav with an amazing chart selection at my fingertips for free.
So I started wondering what else this thing would do.......Radar Interface? Sweet! Over Wifi? Couldn't be....but maybe I'll try, couldn't hurt.
Just a toy, if wifi radar works the toy has more features. It will also be fun to bring the laptop with me to connect to buddies boats on wifi, we can't take my boat out EVERY TIME....
I may add a wired network connection from the Ethernet to the Laptop at some point, but for now, even if I don't get the Radar Data over the Wifi to the laptop, the Laptop with OpenCPN received Location & Heading data through Wifi very well. This makes it a great & powerful sideline tool. If I plug in my cheap-o GPS-USB antenna it makes a great stand-alone nav system.
The education that I am getting alone makes it a worthwhile endeavor for me. I am learning A LOT about OpenCPN, Lowrance, Networks, Radar, and Software Developers.
A big THANK YOU to all who contribute to O! What an awesome & powerful tool.

All of that said, I'm still gonna see if I can wet the Radar over the wifi....
MRArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 14:29   #32

Boat: Najad 34

MRArnold..
Good approach. We'll stand by for your report.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:19   #33

I'm still not getting it to happen.
Here are some screenshots that may show some glaring error in the way I am trying to set things up....

The Network Connection that gets me my Location & Heading Data into O is the: GPSD - 192.168.76.1
The other network connection I have tried changing to TCP & UDP and tried with 192.168.76.89 as well as ...76.1

Can you see anything obvious?

(BTW: For all who are concerned about my Navigational Safety; Network Switch & RJ-45 connectors will be here tomorrow for the Hard-wire)

It is possible that once I am hard-wired I will be able to work backwards and figure out what I am missing on the Wi-fi.
......or it is possible that the Built-In Wi-fi on the HDS Gen3 units just dosen't transmit the Radar Data at all........

Not giving up just yet....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (5).png
Views:	75
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	189844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (6).png
Views:	82
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	189845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (9).png
Views:	72
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	189846  
Old 10-04-2019, 17:06   #34

I'm thinking about installing O v4.8.4 back up and the old radar_pi just to see if it works.
After reading a few of the other folks having trouble w/ their 3G I am starting to wonder if it is a software issue with v5.0
The WIRED connection should help diagnose this as well.
I hope to learn enough to actually CONTRIBUTE in the future...
Old 11-04-2019, 00:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRArnold View Post
.....The Network Connection that gets me my Location & Heading Data into O is the: GPSD - 192.168.76.1
The other network connection I have tried changing to TCP & UDP and tried with 192.168.76.89 as well as ...76.1
This is fine for all NAV-data. But, again, these NMEA connections have nothing to do with the radar data connections.
Quote:
Can you see anything obvious?
Not more than the radar_pi is working as it should but no radar is found on the available network(s).
Silly Q: I suppose the radar scanner is really powered on?

Quote:
(BTW: For all who are concerned about my Navigational Safety; Network Switch & RJ-45 connectors will be here tomorrow for the Hard-wire)

It is possible that once I am hard-wired I will be able to work backwards and figure out what I am missing on the Wi-fi.
......or it is possible that the Built-In Wi-fi on the HDS Gen3 units just dosen't transmit the Radar Data at all........
Not giving up just yet....
Yes, very good. Connect the OpenCPN PC with a network cable instead and start from there.
And according to merrimac's post above it could very well be the wifi network doesn't contain radar data.

Please wait to downgrade O and radar_pi. The new one you've is better. It's well tested on both new and older 4G.
Old 11-04-2019, 13:43   #36

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dear Mr Arnold

Don't you think it is insensitive to call this a toy when many talented hard working hours have been spent by dedicated programmers? It may be something you consider "play time" in your sandbox, and that is perfectly fine, we all do that, but please don't confuse this collaborative opensource intellectual endeavor with a "toy"!

I have high regard these programmers and this plugin.
Your contributions to this joint effort will be welcome, there are many ways you can help. Testing, writing, supporting others and answering questions in the forum.

This effort is powered by a volunteer army, join us, and welcome to Opencpn!

Signed by a User.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:55   #37

Rick..
Easy..."toy" was my expression in a special context: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2867241
Håkan
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43   #38

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ok, Hakan
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03   #39

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

I can confirm that the Zeus/Vulcan/NSS/HDS built-in WiFi with firmware version 18.3 filters all radar data, both in client mode and access point mode. Ergo you cannot access the radar through this connection.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17   #40

Rick,
I am so sorry that you interpreted my comments to mean that O is a "toy".

I meant no such disrespect, and if you read my other posts, I express great gratitude & admiration for this "tool" and the folks who create it.

I, like Hakan, was specifically referring to the use of "Radar sent over Wi-Fi from HDS Gen 3 units to OpenCPN" as a 'toy'

FOR THE RECORD, SO I DON"T OFFEND THE AMAZING PEOPLE WHO BUILD OPENCPN: OpenCPN is NOT a toy for me. "Toy" was my expression in a special context: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2867241 as well.

I am sorry to any and all that I offended by referring to a specific (and impossible) potential additional use of O as a "toy". It won't happen again.

Mark-
Old 12-04-2019, 09:43   #41

Merrimac,
Thanx for the confirmation on the Navico MFD's 18.3 software, and their filtering of Radar Data.
This is what I was starting to assume, but am not smart enough to figure it out for sure. How were you able to figure out that the Radar Data gets filtered out?
Components for a Wired Radar Connection arrive today and if I'm lucky, I will have Radar on O this evening.
It would be cool if the WiFi would pass this data, but as we know, it's not a "toy" and shouldn't be used as such! (even if the 'NOT-A-TOY-WiFi-Radar-Data-Passing' part is Navico's problem)

Thanx to all who have made useful & helpful contributions to this thread. I know A LOT more than I did a few days ago! I will report back when I have the Wired Connection up and running.

Mark-
Old 14-04-2019, 06:16   #42

Wired 4G Radar connection is up & running. SO SWEET!

Followed Radar_pi Manual Hardware Installation Instructions adding RJ45 connectors and a Netgear 105 Switch in-line, laptop plugged into switch.

I am still having to connect to the Wireless Network for the Position & Heading data though.

The Wired Ethernet Connection isn't getting GPS Data. I have the 'Pass Position Data Thru Radar' turned on too.

I guess being hooked to the MFD WiFi & the Ethernet at the same time is fine though....

I can probably get the Position & Heading Data to pass through the USB-NMEA2000 Bridge that runs from my Vesper 6000 AIS to the laptop if I set the "Connections" up correctly.

Again: Thank you to all who helped me with my WiFi experiment, and my eventual Wired Radar Connection to O. You Guys Rock!

Mark-
Old 14-04-2019, 06:33   #43

Mark..
Very nice to hear. Well done!
How to convince the 4G or the MFD to convey the heading is not "my table". You've to have a compass on the NMEA 2000 net connected to the radar antenna to achieve that but I don't have a N2k net in my boat so no experience. Let's see if Douwe, Kees or anyone else have something to forward.
Anyhow, the heading you have will be fine and a GPS position is of course mandatory as well.
What's your thoughts about the radar control menu? Could it be described as self explaining or are you lost anywhere. Hard for me to assess since I'm to "blind to flaws at home".

Håkan
Old 14-04-2019, 07:36   #44

Hakan,
I had about a 30 minute window last night to wire & test the Radar_pi. Just enough time to tell that it was working, but not enough time to experiment with the Control Menu. Also the boat is inside a metal storage building at the moment so it's really hard to actually adjust things with the radar picture until I get it back outside.
I'll spend a little time with the Control Menu next time I'm at the boat and see if I have any questions. At a glance it all looked pretty self explanatory once I understand the Radar itself a little better.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:44   #45

I am going to do my wired setup tomorrow already cut and crimped on the connectors. I have a NSS12 EVO3 and on the unit is 2 ethernet connections /ports, I guess I don't need to use a switch can just plug it directly to my Rpi3.
Is there any setup that I have to do to get it working other than enable plugin, select radar type and turn on open gl will the radar_pi automatically pick up the ethernet connection or must I set it up in Connection tab.?
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, radar