Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 18:52   #1

Locksup

Love this program to use with AIS.
Problem I'm having though, it run fine for a couple hrs, then it LOCKSUP. Have to restart it again, then again it runs for another couple hrs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Using windows XP
Thank You
Fvtluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 23:49   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Locksup

Nowadays most for testing I've a few XP. I have not seen anything similar but will make a long run test.
Trouble like this are of course hard to find but likely some kind of data storage or buffer running full and not emptied. For example the AIS to serial port/USB com port driver. Is the driver adapted for XP?
Do you use a serial to USB converter having a bad driver? Could you try another converter?
I've set up an XP receiving nav data and close to 1000 AIS targets. That will probably cover any OCPN general failure. Stay tuned, back tomorrow.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:23   #3

Good morning, read your reply, I have been running various navigation programs through same ports without any issues, for example, win plot plotter and offshore navigator, navigation program, no problem, dont know what it could be. But I do like your program for AIS plotting, it's really nice.hope you can find the issue. Thank you for your quick reply.
Old 17-01-2020, 05:27   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvtluis View Post
Problem I'm having though, it run fine for a couple hrs, then it LOCKSUP. Have to restart it again, then again it runs for another couple hrs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Using windows XP
Thank You
Why are you using an OS that was designed 20 years ago? even switching to Linux Mint will get you a lot of performance and security improvements over XP.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:33   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Thank You

What version of OpenCPN are you using? Is OpenGL activated?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 01:17   #6

Reason of using win xp, is due to my navigation programs I now use, are not compatible with higher versions of windows, also use alot of DOS based versions of software. These computers dont have access to internet, therefore I'm semi safe from outside attack, I have installed OpenCPN ver 5.0 did not activate program. Have to find out how to do that, didnt see any instructions to do so.
Thank you
Old 18-01-2020, 08:36   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

"installed OpenCPN ver 5.0 did not activate program. Have to find out how to do that, didnt see any instructions to do so."

Did you just download the program and not execute the installer package?

The windows downloaded packaged installer file is opencpn_5.0.0+9065270_setup.exe with an exe at the end. It will be in your downloads folder probably.

If you did actually "install" it on Windows XP, it should work, others are using XP too, however that support may end at some undetermined point which is fast approaching. You should find the Opencpn program and try it.

The OpenCPN Manual is here. Start by going to "Getting Started"

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...lation:windows

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...etting_started
Perhaps the manual will help.

Quote:
Reason of using win xp, is due to my navigation programs I now use, are not compatible with higher versions of windows, also use alot of DOS based versions of software. These computers dont have access to internet, therefore I'm semi safe from outside attack, I have installed OpenCPN ver 5.0 did not activate program. Have to find out how to do that, didnt see any instructions to do so.
Thank you
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 08:39   #8

Boat: Najad 34

Fvtluis..
Not directly connected but for another reason I've run my XP for some hours wo trouble. See here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post3056911
My conclusion to connect it to your post is there is no general XP and OCPN v5.0 problem.

Could you explain this a little more: <"I have installed OpenCPN ver 5.0 did not activate program. Have to find out how to do that, didnt see any instructions to do so."> Do you refer to OCPN v5.0 or OpenGl? OCPN is just to install using the installation file. OpenGl is controlled at Tools->Display->Advanced->"Use accelerated Graphics...."
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 12:00   #9

I installed Opencpn ver 5, on windows so. Like I said all my other marine navigation programs that I have, work fine, so does Open cpn, for a couple hrs, then it just locksup, once I shut down program and restart it, it again works fine for another couple hrs.
Old 18-01-2020, 15:41   #10

1. The mouse stops?, The screen freezes? can you explain further?

What plugins are you running? Can you upload a screenshot?

Also please attach opencpn.ini and opencpn.log to a post in this thread. See FAQ to help you do this here - at the top.

Thanks.

Quote:
I installed Opencpn ver 5, on windows so. Like I said all my other marine navigation programs that I have, work fine, so does Open cpn, for a couple hrs, then it just locksup, once I shut down program and restart it, it again works fine for another couple hrs.
Old 19-01-2020, 05:25   #11

Good morning, mouse does not freeze, I'm able to control mouse, but cannot control any of the cpn buttons, with the acception of the X to close program. As far as the screenshot, would you like while it's working, or when its frozen or lockedup?
Thank you.
Old 19-01-2020, 06:31   #12

Try turning off OpenGL Accelerated Graphics. The opencpn.ini and opencpn.log files would be most useful uploaded here. Forget about the screenshot. See the link to FAQ for directions to do that. Thanks.
Old 19-01-2020, 07:53   #13

Open gl was off, I'll try with it on now, to see difference.
Old 21-01-2020, 07:10   #14

By default, open gl is unchecked, so 24 hrs ago I checked open gl, and wouldn't you know it, it's been running for 24 hrs, all good so far.
I really want to thank everyone that pitched in. Again thank you. I'm a commercial fisherman, been doing this for 40 yrs, and have worked with various nav software. If you want any input as too how OpenCPN should look, or mods, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 21-01-2020, 08:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Fvtluis...

Input from hardworking users is always appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote