Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 13:40   #1

Boat: 10.50 mètres
List of vessels by or with AIS

Dave, and All,

Here is a question put to me by a French sailor adhering to a French forum.

He would like to set up a list of members of the forum so that, with OpenCPN, the boats on the list in the ISA reception area can be easily spotted on the screen.
The same idea could be used by clubs, exactly like the fagnions that are hoisted to the mat of the boat.

I do not think that is possible at present. Would you have an idea to achieve this?

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:00   #2

Re: List of vessels by or with AIS

I need your votes for my "tracker" # 1929

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=1929

Aart
from the Netherlands
Aart K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aart K. View Post
I need your votes for my "tracker" # 1929

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=1929

Aart
from the Netherlands
Done.

"This corresponds to a request made in France for the users of a forum to be able to find one another. This could also apply to a sailing or engine club. Or a group of friends.

But beware, it is necessary that the "list of friends" can be created and updated automatically. And the content of the list must be modifiable from the outside by a more or less automated web access."
Old 17-08-2017, 02:53   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I wonder if Sqiddio's boat trackimg or VentuteFurther tracking could provide a similar information, if all friends were to use it? -With less trouble because login and authentication is already done, as well as tracking, provided friends contribute.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 03:26   #5

Not sure if this fits your requirements but there are several AIS tracking sites for international users, some offer numerous ways to track etc, as groups/members or vessels of interest, the following link provides numerous ways to form groups of interest (just need to sign up)

MarineTraffic - the most popular online service for vessel tracking | AIS Marine Traffic

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 04:51   #6

Hello RGleason,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I wonder if Sqiddio's boat trackimg or VentuteFurther tracking could provide a similar information, if all friends were to use it? -With less trouble because login and authentication is already done, as well as tracking, provided friends contribute.
I launched this thread following a request in a French forum. I think users of this forum do not want to rely on another forum or something similar.

Gilletarom.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:51   #7

Boat: Tashiba 40

Hi all, Jon from VentureFarther (VF). VF is not a forum but a site built for sailors with features that I wanted but were unavailable elsewhere. VentureFarther allows you to "track" other VF users, an email is sent out when a report is issued. Nothing really new here. Now here is the twist (an there is more to come). VF also allows you to upload NMEA recordings. I have posted on other threads that depth information is pulled out of the recording to share this in satellite charts. A while back I thought "why toss away all the other info in the recording?". So, VF will also create a position report for you and all of the AIS targets that are registered in VF. Sort of like a pretty AIS tracking site. I do this by asking you to enter your MMSI number in your profile. So if there is a MMSI match in VF from the NMEA file a report is automatically created for them.

Now one thing I still have on my many page todo list is a single page to display all the boats you are tracking (not difficult and I will get to it, just trying to get some other features nailed before I do that).

Why did I do this? I personally dislike the position reporting that shows you going over land. Although this does not solve it 100% (or even 50%) it could potentially reduce it by having more reports that the user did not actually have to do.

I guess the drawback is you would need an internet connection vs a direct OpenCPN implementation. The direct OpenCPN way would limit you though to only AIS reports you receive. From my experience most boats with a class B transponder only average about 5 miles transmit. With web based anyone (or the member) that does a report you know, no matter how far away.

As always, I am open to feedback and suggestions on how to make this service even better. As a side benefit, if you post reports on VF you earn credits for getting satellite charts and ebooks.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 12:28   #8

For using this (and other) system(s) a internet connection is a must.
Using AIS needs no internet connection. Just a simple AIS receiver is enough.

Aart
from the Netherlands
Old 21-08-2017, 12:46   #9

Boat: Tashiba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aart K. View Post
For using this (and other) system(s) a internet connection is a must.
Using AIS needs no internet connection. Just a simple AIS receiver is enough.

Aart
from the Netherlands
Hi Aart, you are correct. But I think that what Rick was suggesting was a bit of a hybrid approach. Use VF to build the friends lists using the profile's MMSI numbers. VF handles all the editing/creation and storing of this info. Then a plugin requests that data behind the scenes from VF when an internet connection is available and then stores that. OpenCPN then can use that list offline. The benefit I see is the infrastructure is already in place, I can build a API for this info in a couple of hours and you not only get to see friends within 5 miles in OpenCPN but you can also follow them are a much greater distance in VF.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 13:26   #10

@ Jon,

I think my request is very simple extra in the already existing AIS possibility. No extra plug-in or so. Just an extra filter in the AIS targetlist is enough.

I do not want to "follow" friends. Maybe I just go a little bit further to the next harbour because I can meet some friends there.
Or,……. also possible,…..I will go further to an other harbour because a “special person” is absolutely NOT there !

Aart
from the Netherlands

P.S. Give me your vote for tracker # 1929 on the OpenCPN website.
Old 21-08-2017, 19:15   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Good Description Jon. Thank you!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais