Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 13:59   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
List of Antenna only Radars which work with Opencpn under Windows?

Hi,

is there somewhere a list stating precisely which Radar antenna units work directly with OpenCPN (=without additional hardware)?

I'm looking into buying a used radar but am not sure which one to get.

Preferably I do not want a separate piece of hardware, only the windows nav laptop I have already linked to a radar antenna.

I keep an identical secondary laptop onboard as backup.

If there is no such list maybe those who have it running successfully can just list their antenna here?

Thanks.

Franziska

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
Old 16-11-2015, 15:45   #2

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat
Re: List of Antenna only Radars which work with Opencpn under Windows?

lowrance 3g
ewitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:49   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Franziska..
There are two makers of radar scanner that works directly to OCPN using a suitable plugin.

Garmin 18 HD radar. (Garmin xHD is not fully supported yet but there is a functional plugin)

Navico/Simrad/Lowrance broadband radar type: BR24, 3G and 4G. (All three trade names use an equal gadget.)

See also: Radar Overlay Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 12:18   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks Hakan,

so I need to save up for a new unit.No used ones around of these modern models.

Thanks anyway!

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 03-12-2015, 04:48   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

if you want a used one, join the line and wait for your turn! I was here first!!

I have been monitoring the local german market for almost a year. There were maybe three or four compatible radars on the market and all were ridiculously priced.
Like the one that is on ebay now. He is asking 1900 euro for a 4g that is 1.5yrs old. If you buy new its 2050 with full warranty, money back, support, etc..
Cheapest 3g I found was around 1500 new.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Garmin is under rated, I had one and it performed excellently, I would think quite a few of them ought to be available used
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:56   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Simrad, B&G, Lowrance BR24, 3G & 4G
Garmin 18HD

Of course going to the User Manual > Plugins is a good place to start
External Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Look under AIS / Radar Overlay
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 22:12   #8

Any updates to this post?

I am thinking of getting out of the Ray planned obsolescence loop and going open source using tablets and a laptop running Open CPN.

My Ray radar seems the stumbling block and I would rather buy a new radar than another Ray MFD
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 01:19   #9

Hoghead..
No not really. But there's ongoing work to fully support also Navico Halo and Garmin xHD. Meanwhile you'll have to stick to what's now available, Garmin HD and Navico broadband.
Håkan
Old 14-11-2017, 03:48   #10

Earlier this year I bought a 2008 Lagoon which came with a Navman radar & 8120 MFD. I never heard of this brand before. I was confused to find a crisp radar image, excellent short distance performance and very low power consumption. Just like the broadband radar...

Later I found some tiny evidence on the internet that a guy at Navman called "Greg" was the original inventor of the Broadband radar technology. Navico bought Navman in late 2008 or so and sold the broadband radar as BR24 (the Navman 8120 MFD became the Simrad NX45).

Seems Navico hasn't changed much of the Navman technology in the first years. The latest Simrad NX45 firmware still fits my Navman 8120 MFD.

Because of this I suspect the 2008 Navman broadband radar should work with OpenCPN just as the Simrad BR24 but I haven't had the time to try (I use OpenCPN only on Android so no radar plugin).

Maybe someone else has already tried to access the original Navman broadband radar from OpenCPN?
Old 14-11-2017, 03:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
(I use OpenCPN only on Android so no radar plugin).
I was hoping to use OCPN on my laptop and Android tablet both with the new radar.

Not having played with radar on OCPN, I was unaware that Android version does not support radar.

Not having radar on OCPN Android sends me back to the starting gate. I really do not want to go back to a dedicated MFD when open source and open hardware seems the way of the future.
Old 14-11-2017, 04:07   #12

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I was hoping to use OCPN on my laptop and Android tablet both with the new radar.

Not having played with radar on OCPN, I was unaware that Android version does not support radar.

Not having radar on OCPN Android sends me back to the starting gate. I really do not want to go back to a dedicated MFD when open source and open hardware seems the way of the future.
Can you not set your tablet up as a slave and just project the laptop screen to it to get around the android issue?

(Im hoping to do this and hope its feasible otherwise Ill be back to scratch as well!)
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post

In that case I would just get a cheap Windows tablet from China as a dedicated onboard device. These are starting around 80 USD for an 8inch version, and ~100 USD for a 10inch tablet. Sometimes half of that for a used one on ebay.

With regards to remote access:
I remember I once tried VNC on Android to remotely access OpenCPN running on a windows machine via Wifi connection. That was before OpenCPN for Android became available.
It worked OK but was kind of slow to refresh the screen so I doubt its a good solution for radar on the tablet.

Another approach is:
Install some linux in a chroot environment on aan Android tablet. PpenCPN runs on this linux, and you use an android VNC app to connect to it. There is no wifi connection as both are running on the same machine, so screen refresh rates are much better.
I tried this a few years ago and it works, but had its own drawbacks and limitations. The linux OpenCPN was made to run on linux desktops, not tablet with tiny screens. Maybe this has changed in the meantime.

However, with cheap windows (or linux) tablets available from china I don't see a point to go into any complicated direction.
Old 14-11-2017, 19:43   #14

Windows tablet - why did I not think of that.....
And I bought an Android tab for this very application!

What sort of spec should I need in regards to processor(s) speed, memory capacity, and RAM?
Old 15-11-2017, 03:22   #15

For info I'm using a dated Win-PC for OCPN and br24radar_pi. To see the same picture at cockpit I use VNC (TightVNC) and an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 (A ver 4.0) Works fine and no performance issues while cruising. Mouse movements from the Samsung are though not very fast. I use to have a Logitech Wireless Trackball direct on the PC instead.
Håkan

Tags
antenna, enc, opencpn, radar, wind