Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 04:30   #1

Just using OpenCPN, it is fantastic! (plus a tip)

Dear Authors and Developers,

I've just started using (really installing, not used on water yet...) and I find it fantastic! After so many years using Navionics and thinking in the back of my head "there should be something leader in the market and open where we can really pour our experiences for other sailors".... well, this is it! Thank you guys and girls!

I have installed it in my Samsung S6 Lite tablet, to have something light and without AC voltage needed (as it would be a laptop) and it works great. I do realize though that the real full usage is with a Linux laptop. However, I have evetyhting a sailot going to Societes and Tuamotus this July may need.

Just a tip: after a recent upgrade OpenCPN stopped working correctly in the sense that when trying to load maps it would only have access to its very local software folder, and from the Tablet soft it was very difficult/impossible to put the maps in that folder. Then I tried migrating maps and it didn't work either (it does it but it doesn't work). Finally, I solved by connecting the Tablet to the computer and moving the maps to the correct directory by handling the Tablet files from the computer commands.

Another tip: for sailing the Societes and the Tuamotus, in the CM93 directory, erase all subfoldeers except for 02100600 and 02100660. (You need the files in the CM93 folder, but not all the folders).

Again thank you very much for all the effort, Ezequiel.

(July in the Tuamotus, mainly Fakarava and Rangiroa on a rented Dufour 520GL)
sequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:05   #2

Re: Just using OpenCPN, it is fantastic! (plus a tip)

I was advised to use it by Chuck Houlihan & Linda Edeiken from SV Jacaranda, thanks guys!
sequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:01   #3

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Just using OpenCPN, it is fantastic! (plus a tip)

sequi..
For the restricted and obstacle handling of files and directories we've to thank Google and the new rules for Android version 11 and up. OCPN has nothing to do here but try to adapt as smooth as possible. Each app has in principle only write permissions on its "own" folders. And the pathway is not simple as you have noticed. Installing new charts from within OCPN is though easier than the process to move or copy existing folders.
Your method is one of the practical ones.

I do agree about OCPN being the best tool for navigation. For that we owe a thank to the founder and developers and not less all supporters here and round the world.
Good luck and have fun!
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn