Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06   #16

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Re: Is OpenCPN useful while underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_planb View Post
I only wish that they would port it over to the android platform already so I can buy a tablet and make use of it on deck at the console. (sorry, I dislike IPADS)....Smooth sailiing!
I would like it also. Setting it up on my win xp laptop was a breeze....wish it could be so easy having it on a samsung galaxy tablet. I would get one!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 13:38   #17

I like openCPN also. But how do you keep the laptop powered up for long periods under sail?
Land an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 14:15   #18

I use it down below on a small notebook from a 300W inverter which draws about 1.3A from 12V.
It's mainly used as a back-up to my external mounted Raymarine C80 plotter which is now 8 years old.
silentwings39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 15:27   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I use it all the time underway. It sits on the Nav table and I use it to plan and plot, check course, use the data for the log book etc. We use the raymarine plotter as the primary but its easier to plan and zoom in and out etc with Opencpn. I cross check courses and adjust to suit. Occasionally I have found a buoy marked in Opencpn that isnt on the raymarine chart. I also have navionics on the iphone and paper charts for wherever we are sailing. Also use Opencpn as anchorwatch along with anchorwatch iphine app. I wouldnt like to solely rely on one method of navigation, especially when there are so many options available.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 15:51   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

OpenCpn is my main chart plotter.

I use it every day, and every time I more the boat, every passage.

It's the best plotter, nav program, whatever, made today and I commend anyone to get it and use it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 15:55   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
So have any of you guys ditched the chart plotter then?
Or do you use both?
Ditched my plotter when it broke down.

I have had OpenCpn since the start of the circumnavigation but used the plotter at the helm for the first 10,000 nms till it died in the butt and have just used OpenCpn for the last 25,000nms.
I have an IPad to but that's a kids toy for Facebook wankers and the nav programs are as useless.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 23:56   #22

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land an View Post
I like openCPN also. But how do you keep the laptop powered up for long periods under sail?
My configuration is a netbook (ASUS EeePC) which draws less than 1 amp through a 12V-19V adapter.

The adapters are available on eBay such as 80W Universal Car Auto Charger Power Supply Adapter DC Plug for Laptop Notebook | eBay

It runs continuously while underway.

I often use the Splashtop Streamer program on the netbook and my Samsung Galaxy Note II to control the netbook from anywhere on the boat.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 00:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
My configuration is a netbook (ASUS EeePC) which draws less than 1 amp through a 12V-19V adapter.

The adapters are available on eBay such as 80W Universal Car Auto Charger Power Supply Adapter DC Plug for Laptop Notebook | eBay

It runs continuously while underway.

I often use the Splashtop Streamer program on the netbook and my Samsung Galaxy Note II to control the netbook from anywhere on the boat.

Terry
If you remove your battery, your laptop will be fine on 12v.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:37   #24

Boat: Aspiring Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
If you remove your battery, your laptop will be fine on 12v.
That depends on the brand. I've had a couple of laptops that wouldn't start at all if the battery wasn't inserted, or if it was completely dead.
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviris View Post
That depends on the brand. I've had a couple of laptops that wouldn't start at all if the battery wasn't inserted, or if it was completely dead.
Acer, Asus, Toshib HP and Dell definitely work with no battery installed. As far as I can ascertain all laptops work the same as a desk top when powered without the battery, but they may not have a UPS for data recovery if the power should fail unexpectedly such as the power cord getting knocked out.
Google is your friend.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:03   #26

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_planb View Post
We use it while underway down here in the keys and Miami area and it is great. One additonal feature that is really nice is that we can setup an anchor watch for night and have the laptop plugged into some rather large PC speakers with the volume turned up. That way if we do start dragging, then everyone onthe boat wakes up...lol yes it is as accurate as the GARMIN units and IMHO much better for seeing where you are (larger screen)...if have the PC connected to a 32" flat panel TV in the lower salon (aboard a HF50) and it isthe ultimate large chart...

Of course we do keep paper charts, a dedicated Garmin 545S on deck and handheld backups..yes we are a paranoid bunch...

I only wish that they would port it over to the android platform already so I can buy a tablet and make use of it on deck at the console. (sorry, I dislike IPADS)....

Smooth sailiing!
You can use OpenCPN on your android device now! See:

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Background to our success getting the devices internal gps working with OpenCPN, general discussion and more is here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-18.html

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:41   #27

I still and probably always will use paper and hand tools for underway navigation.

I like opencpn for route planning though. For longer offshore passages it can be hard to get a good bearing because normally the charts don't connect and we don't have charts for open water.

So I can officially and actually say I use both, but underway I feel manual works better for us. When I've used chart plotters (open cpn or otherwise) underway I usually end up feeling a bit out of touch with where I am. I pay less attention to my surroundings.

For long offshore routes where there is nothing to hit (except other vessels) and no seamounts to worry about, that's a different story. At that point you're generally just getting a bearing for the day and holding it the best you can.

And call me super old fashioned, but I like trying to get noon sites at that point as well. Even with a wife and two kids onboard I have a lot of free time on passages.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:59   #28

So what GPS antenna does everyone use then? Just curious.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
A little Brand X puck. Serial NMEA. Wired to a multiplexer to all the other NMEA and Seatalk stuff.

Believe it or not: it is simply attached under the side deck above the nav station. Would fail if someone was hiking out on the rail ... But that is not apt to happen just now.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 23:23   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Wired into the main boat GPS, Garmin 128. Really handy for uploading waypoints / routes and downloading tracks afterwards.

Re power, not sure about others but most of the time the computer is hibernating, not very often you need to see GPS position on a chart, even round the busy UK. Usually a paper chart on the go as well so easy to see where you are, or more important where you're not only takes a moment to wake up from hibernate though those nasty prolyfic USB/serial drivers sometimes get grumpy with that.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn