Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 11:45   #16

Re: try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegase View Post
I think you have to proceed step by step.
You seems to have several problems and we don't know what's working.

Step 1 : check software. on the Aismon forum there is a.wav file that you can use to check the software setup. Several AIS target should appear near the US coast. If not you have a config problem that you have to solve. With emulated com port I had to setup n° 7 and 8 as my old computer doesn't accept higher number than 8.

Step 2 : Now that we are sure that software is working try again with your modified receiver. Try also to run you laptop only on batteries (not AC power) to reduce noise. You might also check ShipPlotter FAQ File that your soundcard meets the minimum requirements.

For the emulated com ports try make a search on Internet (key word comemuldrv). There is a lot of available help. first link Setting up Virtual Serial Ports

Be patient ank keep trying . It's gonna work
Hi Pegase, two years later i have the same problem!!

Where is the .wav file to check the Ais mon???

Woul you help me??

Thank you very much
Nemo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 14:32   #17

Re: Interfacing AIS

nemo3
I'm still here! Can I help?
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 09:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyappuk View Post
nemo3
I'm still here! Can I help?
Tony
Hi!
I read your post (in 2010) and I have the same problems with the discriminator signal and the Aismon: "I have installed Aismon and it apparently sees something from my sound card , but not consistently, the level bar has only one blue line".
Some time appears a Out COM 3 port, other times nothing; I don’t know if AISMON gets its input from the PC sound car (???).
I can`t attach the " Aismon screen data" file; If you give me your email I send it to you.This is mine:
j.alvfer@hotmail.com
Thanks a lot
Nemo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 03:43   #19

Nemo3
I think my post No. 12 just about summarises my success or otherwise with AIS. Since that time I haven't bothered with it and since most of my sailing is in the sheltered waters of the Solent, the effort I made to get it to work was really just for interest's sake. The practical difficulties of connecting it all up was a bummer too. I did think I might buy a dedicated AIS receiver since they can now be bought for less than 100 pounds sterling but did nothing more.
After this time I can't recall much detail of the fiddling I had to go to to make it work and it was never very consistent. I think if you are using a modified receiver discriminator it will always be a bit hit and miss. However I can confirm that the sound card provides the input to AISMON. There is a lot of helpful advice on the AISMON Yahoo group with lots of recent postings. I would recommend you go there. Sorry I can't be more help.
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:55   #20

I believe the signal from the discriminator output from a VHF radio needs to be input to a SDR (software defined radio). This is then tuned to the relevant frequencies (161.975 or 162.025MHz). The output of this goes to AISMon via a virtual cable. The output of AISMon goes to OpenCPN/Seaclear via virtual ports. Results are good.

(1) SDR (free) > There are many around. https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software
Probably the simplest and easiest on you and the CPU is SDR Sharp. Easy to test by connecting an ipod into your microphone jack or just touching the input cable with your fingers.

(2) VAC Virtual Audio Cable (free) is one possibility for a link from SDR to AISMon VSPE and ComEmulDrv3 is another. The first one works for me.

(3) AISMon (free) is the signal to NMEA converter. Download from the AISMon Yahoo Groups website under File section on left. Latest version is AISMon_2.2.0.exe

(4) VSPE (free) can set up a virtual com pair to link AISMon to OpenCPN. There are other options mentioned above, but this one works for me. I found I needed to sacrifice one physical com port to get one virtual.

(5) OpenCPN or Seaclear (free) must be set to the virtual com port as setup in the step above.

A wav file (LA_LB_Snippet.wav) under Files section of AISMon Yahoo Groups can be used to test the AISMon > VSPE > OpenCPN connection by running a wav file in AISMon. The end result is that you will see ships appear in the LA area.

You will test more completely by connecting an Ipod into the microphone jack and seeing the blue bars reflected in the AISMon.

In setup and testing, VSPE needs to be running prior to startup of AISMon or OpenCPN

Actual results depend on aerials terrain, ships in vicinity and tuning.

The VHF radio can be replaced by a RTL2832/E4000 DVBt dongle at around $22

Hope this gives you a basic start, more to foster further discussion and development.
million440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 18:42   #21

Please refer to other thread in Cruisers Forum
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...?highlight=ais
Lots of good points and links
million440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais