Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 22:34   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Installing OpenCPN in OpenSUSE 12.2_x86-74

Lars...
Looks like there's something you are not doing as you think...
I needed a new 32bit Ubuntu-like builder anyway, so I just used exactly the same workflow as above for 64bit Maya on 32bit Nadia VM and got exactly the same, correct, result...

Confused am I

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 04:58   #32

Boat: 1911, 6mR, 31 ft

Dear Pavel!

I could easily see that you didn't get offended! As you could read, my lines about challenge or provocations were not directed to you.
There is one thing trying to help out with a problem, another being taken advantage of. I most certainly can imagine how much time and resources it takes to adapt your software to every possible version, architecture and distribution! I'm quite impressed of how many OS' you already adapted it to!! I can also estimate how time consuming it is taking part of ordinary users problems and try to support them in a forum like this. -I never asked for a patch that made it possible to create both /usr AND /usr/local rpm's! -I simply pointed out that in my experience, after my experiments the cmake-make package didn't behave as expected compare to the "Compiling - Linux" instructions on your site.

My reason for doing the experiments I accounted for above was simply that I never got any answer on my question "can I use DPREFIX=/usr/local instead of DPREFIX=/usr" that I perfectly well had read and remembered from what J-E had written before. -I didn't want to nag about it, I know how busy you, like all people in the GPL-branch, are. -That was the background. -I decided to try the DPREFIX=/usr/local in OpenSuSE myself, in a safe setup. -And since I had got the impression from your replies and your site that you perhaps were more into the Ubuntu-Os'es -or possibly Fedora- I was interested to see if your Ubuntu-src's perhaps worked better? -Further, as I know that there are differences between the Debian and Ubuntu filesystems that not always make it simple to install Ubuntu software into Debian or reversed I choosed a distribution along the Ubuntu-line, LinuxMint that I find both slim and handy for my build-experiment. -Now, according to the "Compiling Linux" instrucions on your site, apart from the prerequisites/dependencies, you do not separate the OpenSuSE- and Debian/Ubuntu-descriptions very much.

Now concerning my method: I accounted for my setups and experimental conduct in the experiments as carefully I could, and described my outcomes. In a latter post I explained that my unexpected outcome made me uncertain about it's validity and I therefore had reproduced the experiments before I wrote my post. Now, you could take my outcomes seriously, as you seem to have done -perhaps too seriously(?), or you could choose to overlook them as coming from an ignorant not able to distinguish rpm-based system from other. -As I already have said I really cannot explain the difference in my outcome from yours!

Finally, about time consumption. My experimental setup and performing the experiment took me two days. On this side of the Baltic it's now high time to prepare my yacht for launching, in fact I have already started. -With that reservation and since you asked the way you did, I'll repeat my experiments in LinuxMint and OpenSuSE x86, but only with the latest master I downloaded today (and doublechecked the version with single separately downloaded files changed during the last 24 hours from master branch). -It can take a few days but I'll be back with my outcome. -If you think I'm doing what I think ! -BTW are you and your ordinary users more on the Ubuntu- or Fedora-line? I'm curious!

PS. And after this I'll move over to using OpenCPN, and see what it can do and can't. ...and, during some rainy day later this year, try to build and install OpenCPN in Slackware. But if I do, I promise I will never tell you anything about it ! DS.

Lars
larsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 05:18   #33

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsed View Post
My reason for doing the experiments I accounted for above was simply that I never got any answer on my question "can I use DPREFIX=/usr/local instead of DPREFIX=/usr" that I perfectly well had read and remembered from what J-E had written before.
It's possible up to 3.1.1319 (released jan, 19 2013)
Then Fedora 18 was released and I updated our toolchain for building rpm using a .spec template. You're right, the doc was not updated since as I expected to find a solution to the PREFIX=/usr/local breakage introduced by this change.
As stated in my message yesterday, I pushed some changes to the master branch to address the problem. "make package" with any PREFIX should work now

Quote:
I'll repeat my experiments in LinuxMint and OpenSuSE x86, but only with the latest master I downloaded today (and doublechecked the version with single separately downloaded files changed during the last 24 hours from master branch). -It can take a few days but I'll be back with my outcome. -If you think I'm doing what I think !
That'd be great! Thanks.

Quote:
BTW are you and your ordinary users more on the Ubuntu- or Fedora-line? I'm curious
To my knowledge, nohal is our Debian guru, thomas is Ubuntu's and I'm the Fedora guy. I guess most users uses Ubuntu. There's some stats on SourceForge, I don't know if we've some for opencpn.org beta downloads.

BTW, I've already tested on a Slackware VM a long time ago, but IIRC there's no packaging solution, cmake only create a .tar.gz "make install" should work
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 11:07   #34

Back again!

Your new -and today current- master behaved! That is built and installed as expected.
In short:
Code:
new master (3.1.1417 2013-02-17):
In LinuxMint_Nadia_x86		Built/Failed	Installed to
cmake ../			Built		/usr/local/bin
cmake --DPREFIX=/usr/local ../	Built		/usr/local/bin
cmake --DPREFIX=/usr ../	Built		/usr/bin

In OpenSuSE12.2_x86		Built/Failed	Installed to
cmake ../			Built		/usr/local/bin/			
cmake --DPREFIX=/usr/local ../	Built		/usr/local/bin			
cmake --DPREFIX=/usr ../	Built		/usr/bin/
(opencpn-3.1.1417-1_i386.deb/rpm created)
So you have covered all three well then, Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu!
Me becoming more and more Slackish after have been an OpenSuSE-fan since 8.

As you mention Slackware (I'm certain your description still works), my sadistic friend ran before me and found a fairly easy way of packaging, src2pkg:
Here Slackware 14_x86-64 full installation
dependencies from Slackbuild:
gpsd tinyxml wxPython (possibly only wxGTK) portaudio
Your sourcecode from git
rename it and add a version-number on the directory
pack it:
bash-4.2$ tar czf opencpn-3.n.nnnn.tar.gz opencpn-3.n.nnnn/
su
bash-4.2# src2pkg opencpn-3.n.nnnn.tar.gz
Package Location: /tmp/opencpn-3.n.nnnn.txz
Installs like a charm he said.
But he is a Slacker

Regards
Lars
PS. After reading the master date above 2013-02-17 that I got from CMake.version-file(?) in the download and checked the thread above, I was puzzled. It should have been 2013-02-20 or after? But I'm certain I got it from the master branch (yesterday and again today) and even double-checked by entering your master branch by http to check your CMakeLists.txt and opencpn.spec.in and compared with my download using Meld. And they matched. DS
Old 25-02-2013, 02:23   #35

Since I already broke my promise and my thread anyway is way out of line (the mods may well delete it or move it to some dark corner of this forum) I can make a comment to my friends Slackware-recipe above that I now have tried:
The reservation "(possibly only wxGTK)" was more important than I thought: wxGTK is according to it's README a part of wxPython and they conflict if both are installed.

The correct prerequisites/dependences should therefore be (provided a full Slackware-installation):
gpsd, tinyxml, wxPython OR wxGTK, portaudio
I used wxPython.
And beside these: src2pkg

I built and installed OpenCPN (same version as above) in Slackware14.0_x86 and _x86-64 and OpenCPN works as charm!
(I tried to use the opencpn.tar.gz created by cmake/make/#make package but src2pkg could'nt build from them. No matter if I used DPREFIX or not. I never tried to install the created .tar.gz's manually by # make install but it probably will work.)

My best regards

Lars
Old 25-02-2013, 06:08   #36

Lars...
wxPython are python bindings for the wxWidgets toolkit - a well packaged wxpython on linux should *require* wxGTK, not *include* it... OpenCPN does not uses wxPython at all.
My experience with src2pkg is zero, so can't help with that.

Pavel
Old 25-02-2013, 10:32   #37

Pavel

I won't argue with you about something someone else wrote:
SlackBuilds.org - wxGTK
besides it is in the README.

I had both installed, OpenCPN wouldn't build (cmake/make/make package). -Searched for other wx-dependencies, ran in to this README, uninstalled wxGTK and OpenCPN built. And -built with src2pkg- is running smooth.

I didn't describe a problem, just a way of creating a package i Slackware.

Lars
Old 25-02-2013, 18:57   #38

Lars...
could you post the errors, if any, if just wxGTK is installed? From what the README you linked says it should probably be enough - there's nothing wrong if wxPython is satisfying OpenCPN's dependencies, just it's python part is sure not needed. The last Slackware I was actually using was version 3 and I was running it from a single floppy on a machine that sure was quite a few times less powerful that my current phone, so my knowledge of this platform is a bit outdated to say the least... I would like to understand it a bit if we intend to support it in some way.

Pavel
Old 26-02-2013, 06:06   #39

Hello Pavel!

Now we're talking time consumption!

First a humble reflection.
I don't quite understand what you aim at by 'support it in some way'?
With wxGTK (+ an additional dep) or wxPython you can build a tar.z in Slackware, but you cannot make a package from it using 'make package' or Slackware's 'makepkg'.
You most probably can install the tar.gz by 'make install' as Jean-Eaudes suggested, I never tried it. If there is no uninstall-script it's a mess to uninstall.
-By my final 'out-of-line'-reply I just wanted to tell you that there was a way building a package in Slackware! I had no intension of pursuing in anyway!
In fact it was my friend who found the way, I just tried it. -He has been in the Slackware-circuits for at least the last 12 years, so I I usually trust he knows what he is doing.

It's not that I'm reluctant to help you, but you ask for a hell of a lot of work. -You see my setup was not the way you ask for, with only wxGTK (though I see what you mean about the python-part being unnecessary). My friend tried it though and found that wxGTK alone didn't work, with wxGTK there were one more dependency he needed. -I'll tell you more about it in the attached file that also contains what error-msgs I got with both wxGTK and wxPython installed.

Lars

well well, I see there is no way to attach a text-file, just videos
I have to paste the content here:

Below BOTH wxPython-2.8.12.1-i486-1_SBo.tgz and wxGTK-2.8.12-i486-2_SBo.tgz installed:

cmake
cmake -DPREFIX=/usr
both worked

make in both cases failed by:

-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/larse/bin/OpenCPN/build
bash-4.2$ make
[ 16%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/S57ENC.dir/src/s52cnsy.cpp.o
In file included from /home/larse/bin/OpenCPN/src/s52cnsy.cpp:40:0:
/home/larse/bin/OpenCPN/include/s52plib.h:421:22: error: 'wxGCDC' has not been declared
/home/larse/bin/OpenCPN/include/s52plib.h:437:2: error: 'wxGCDC' does not name a type
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/S57ENC.dir/src/s52cnsy.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/S57ENC.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Looked for missing wx-dependencies, found the README I showed you.
Uninstalled wxGTK
Then make succeeded (both cases)

-My friend though had a setup more along the line you asked: Only wxGTK installed.
His first build-trials failed till he found an 'optional' dependency to wxPython: libmspack.
When he installed that his builds succeeded, that is:
with wxGTK + libmspack cmake/make/make package your source builds to a tar.gz
with wxPython cmake/make/make package your source builds to a tar.gz

But neither runs with src2pkg that tries to build like the tar.gz was an ordinary src, that is
uses cmake and make in the build process.

-src2pkg though can build you src as downloaded from git and packed with tar:
# src2pkg "your-tar-packed-OpenCPN/" below opencpn-3.1.1417.tar.gz

bash-4.2# src2pkg opencpn-3.1.1417.tar.gz

Found source archive: opencpn-3.1.1417.tar.gz
Creating working directories:
PKG_DIR=/tmp/opencpn-3.1.1417-x86_64-1
SRC_DIR=/tmp/opencpn-3.1.1417-src-1
Unpacking source archive - Done
Correcting source permissions - Done
Checking for patches - None found
Found 'cmake' configuration - Configuring using:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr -DLIB_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
-DLOCALSTATE_INSTALL_DIR=/var -DSYSCONF_INSTALL_DIR=/etc
Compiling sources - Using: 'make'
Compiling has been - Successful!
Checking for Makefile rule: 'install' Okay
Using SAFE method in REAL root directory - Using: 'make install'
SAFE Content creation - Successful!
Processing package content:
Correcting package permissions - Done
Stripping ELF binaries - Using: strip -p --strip-unneeded Done
Stripping shared libraries - Using: strip -p --strip-unneeded Done
Notice - Moving docs installed under usr/share/doc to usr/doc.
Notice - Renaming doc directory installed without a version number.
Checking for standard documents - Done
Found 'opencpn.xpm' in SRC_DIR - Copying to PKG_DIR/PIXMAPS_DIR
Creating slack-desc - From default text
Rechecking package correctness:
Checking for misplaced dirs - Done
Rechecking package permissions - Done
Checking for dead links in PKG_DIR - Done
Searching for links in: opencpn-3.1.1417-x86_64-1 - None found
Found .desktop files - Adding 'update-desktop-database' routine to doinst.sh
Found icon files - Adding 'gtk-update-icon-cache' routine to doinst.sh
Creating package: opencpn-3.1.1417-x86_64-1.txz - Done
Package Creation - Successful! Package Location:
/tmp/opencpn-3.1.1417-x86_64-1.txz
Old 26-02-2013, 07:11   #40

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)

Hi,

Can you check if --enable-graphics_ctx is included in the wxGTK.SlackBuild script. That's probably the reason for your wxGCDC error above.
[GRASS-user] wxGCDC not available on this platform

This option is required if you want to use wxGCDC (OpenCPN does, obviously)

Regards,
Jean-Eudes
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:50   #41

Dear Jean-Eaudes!

I don't seem to get many answers here, do I? By answering alternately you and Pavel elude my questions. I don't think consciously though.

What is your problem here? (I've got none, I've got a working OpenCPN in Slackware.) What do you aim at? What are you trying to achieve?

Tell me that, and I'll do the best I can to help!

As I said a now long time ago, before I made the rebuilds of OpenCPN in LinuxMint and OpenSuSE, it's time to take care of my yacht and use OpenCPN!

Regards

Lars
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39   #42

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've enjoyed reading this thread and learned something (I wish I could understand it all). Lars, SethDart and Nohal, your smarts, patience, bulldog persistence with graciousness to each other and sense of humor. It is efforts like this that clarify and enable a broader support platform. I offer a Thank you on behalf of all users.

Why would compiling for slackware be good? About Slackware
http://www.slackbook.org/html/introd...slackware.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49   #43

Well that indeed was a very kind commentary!
I'll try to bear those words with me in darker moments when I wonder why I'm not doing anything creative instead, like playing my guitar. BTW, you couldn't have chosen a better quotation than the one in your link! Says a lot about at least my motives for turning to Slackware after some 8 years with OpenSuSE and Debian.

In fact me and my friend plan to try (stress that!) to write a Slackbuild script for OpenCPN when the next stable, i e 3.2, is released.

Maybe I'll also try to summarize the opencpn.txz-build above, as it is spread out over a number of posts and I after the last post tried SethDart's suggestion about the build of wxGTK. -But since I've found no Slackware-corner in this forum I'll probably post it here, or ask nohal and SethDart about writing a few lines on Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thank you rgleason!

Lars
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53   #44

Lars...
If you have an account on opencpn.org, just feel free to add the Slackware stuff there - it's a public wiki everybody can edit. If not I will gladly do it - it was always the goal of asking all those questions anyway...
Many thanks for your time and effort

Pavel
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17   #45

Dear Pavel!

No I haven't, but guess I can create one!
I also must thank you and Jean-Eaudes for all your help along this somewhat 'anarchic' thread! I really learned a lot from it!
I mentioned that we've looked at your and Jean-Eaudes notes about the build of wxGTK and have included Jean-Eaudes suggestion about the build.

Finally, it's still is a mystery to me why my first build of opencpn with the first beta in LinuxMint14 behaved so strange and differently from your v.13? The changes Jean-Eaudes made with his patch were, as far as I could see, only applied on the rpm-build. -Anyway, after that patch even the Mint behaved. -Even when I built it!

My best regards to you and Jean-Eaudes!

Lars

Tags
opencpn