Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2011, 06:00   #1

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Insert existing waypoint into existing route?

I know this should be brain-dead easy, but I can't figure out other than manually editing the .gpx file how to add an existing waypoint to an existing route. The right-click menu allows inserting a new waypoint at this point in a route, or appending one at the end. If I'm creating a new route, if I click on/near an existing waypoint, OpenCPN will ask if I want to use it.

But how do I add an existing waypoint to a route I've already created?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 10:01   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Insert existing waypoint into existing route?

Hi,Beausoleil...

Here's the EZ answer first.This is IF your waypoints are locked in O's settings dialogue(mine always are)
Insert a waypoint in the route.(Right click)NOW open it's property dialogue...Drag the window out of your face but keep it open!Now clickndrag the new waypoint to where you want it.... Voila?You need that window open or the waypoint can't be dragged....
BUT
If your waypoints are not locked,you can just clickndrag the waypoint so it may pay to unlock em first in the Settings/Etc if you are doing this a lot

There is yet another way but I'll spare you that unless you ask.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 10:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
I know this should be brain-dead easy, but I can't figure out other than manually editing the .gpx file how to add an existing waypoint to an existing route. The right-click menu allows inserting a new waypoint at this point in a route, or appending one at the end. If I'm creating a new route, if I click on/near an existing waypoint, OpenCPN will ask if I want to use it.

But how do I add an existing waypoint to a route I've already created?
That's an interesting question, I've tried to do the same thing. Actually I don't think it's possible.
In addition to the function you suggest I think it should be possible to build a route directly in the waypoint/route manager. For example by adding a "New route" button on the route tab. Then you use the waypoint list to choose the next waypoint.

/p
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 10:15   #4

By the way,I'm using OpenCPN betaversion 3.4.612...but I recall you can do this in earlier ones...?

this shows the route "rightclicked" ...and its menu...choose insert mark.It'll be inserted WHERE the cursor is....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	293
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	28783

now I open the waypoint's property dialogue(NOT the route's) because MY waypoints are "locked"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	290
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	28784

and ,see, I've dragged it somewhere...Why can't it be to your particular existing waypoint?
Old 20-06-2011, 10:23   #5

Now the hard way...to add your existing waypoint.

Get the route pencil, and TRACE the route relying upon that "use existing?" to get it right...until you get to where you want to add your waypoint...out to it and then back to old and carry on tracing to the end.( escape key in windose frees the route pencil)...
now,your new route is the top one in the route manager.Unclick the old route's eyeball to see just the new route....

Yet another way....Insert a new waypoint on the route. Next go to the waypoint you want to include,right click it choose properties and copy/paste its position to the new inserted waypoint's properties...
Old 21-06-2011, 13:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
By the way,I'm using OpenCPN betaversion 3.4.612...but I recall you can do this in earlier ones...?

this shows the route "rightclicked" ...and its menu...choose insert mark.It'll be inserted WHERE the cursor is....

Attachment 28783

now I open the waypoint's property dialogue(NOT the route's) because MY waypoints are "locked"

Attachment 28784

and ,see, I've dragged it somewhere...Why can't it be to your particular existing waypoint?
Sorry, Happy, but either I'm not seeing it, or all your method is doing is moving the new waypoint over to the same position as the existing waypoint - which is not what I want. I want to insert the existing waypoint into the existing route.

In RosePoint's Coastal Explorer, I can right-click on an existing route and select "Include Waypoint", and then I can click on any existing waypoint and have it included in that existing route (i.e., the route is "re-routed" to include that waypoint in the route in the section I right-clicked on.

The right-click dialogue should have three waypoint options: Insert Waypoint, Append Waypoint, and Include Waypoint
Old 21-06-2011, 13:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
That's an interesting question, I've tried to do the same thing. Actually I don't think it's possible.
In addition to the function you suggest I think it should be possible to build a route directly in the waypoint/route manager. For example by adding a "New route" button on the route tab. Then you use the waypoint list to choose the next waypoint.

/p
Yes - that's one of the options in Raymarine's E-series MFDs.
Old 21-06-2011, 17:26   #8

But per:
"Insert a new waypoint on the route. Next go to the waypoint you want to include,right click it choose properties and copy/paste its position to the new inserted waypoint's properties... "

What's the difference?If the inserted waypoint has the same position?You can even give it the same icon and anything else particular to it?It's a little more work(this way,among the several..)
For myself,I see a problem including Marks in Routes.I use both for different things.I have sets of marks that are not "Waypoints" and they are not always loaded .So a Route "incorporating them",would be at a loss UNLESS it contained a copy anyways.
Old 22-06-2011, 14:03   #9

1. Split the route at the point before the insertion.
2. Append to the first part of route (_A) the point to be insrted, then append the point in the second part of the route, where you want to rejoin it. Answer Yes to both questions "Use nearby waypoint?".
3. Extend the first part of the route and rename the result.
4. Delete the remaining second part of the route (_B)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 22:09   #10

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp

Getting this to work as in JOSM would be great, JOSM have a + on the middle of each line, dragging that + would make a new point added to the line.
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:17   #11

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
1. Split the route at the point before the insertion.
2. Append to the first part of route (_A) the point to be inserted, then append the point in the second part of the route, where you want to rejoin it. Answer Yes to both questions "Use nearby waypoint?".
3. Extend the first part of the route and rename the result.
4. Delete the remaining second part of the route (_B)
I found that there is one more step to make this work.

2.a Delete the first point in route _B, this is the point of the original split. The first point in _B will after this be the "rejoin" point.

Without this step the append button will not work.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 11:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I found that there is one more step to make this work.
Interesting. I checked again under Vista in .620 and I can still extend a route this way, without deleting the origin of _B ...

Piotr
Old 25-06-2011, 04:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Interesting. I checked again under Vista in .620 and I can still extend a route this way, without deleting the origin of _B ...

Piotr
I have tested this quite a bit.
Most of the time your instructions do work.
When they don't work, my addition isn't likely to work either, except on the odd occasion.
However, sometimes, the instructions doesn't work, meaning - the Extend Route button will not become active, even though it should.
It's very difficult to pinpoint what causes this. I also see some other odd things with routes but until I come up with a way to reliably recreate them, they are not worth mentioning.
Many times it helps to restart the program, but not always.

Thomas
Old 25-06-2011, 07:37   #14

Thomas...

I'm afloat now, so not much digging can be done immediately. But one thing, which may not always be obvious (right or wrong) is that the "Extend" button becomes active only when there is an unambiguous way of extending the route. So, e.g. if there are two route waypoints at the given route end location, it will be disabled...

Piotr
Old 26-06-2011, 01:51   #15

Pjotr

I'm aware of what you're saying.
I have managed to catch a problem in a gpx file.
Not surprisingly it's situated across the dateline......
In the gpx file there is one route around the Azores that's ok.
The problem is the route south of Fiji, on the dateline at about -23.75.
I started to append a fixed mark but am unable to extend the route at #3.
It becomes really interesting if you go to the route manager and try to zoom in on one of the two routes. You end up on the Greenwich meridian at the correct latitude.
I am entering this problem as a bug in the tracker.
dl-test.gpx.doc

Thomas