Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 10:38   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
Incorrect Simrad radar overlay

Hi,

First extended trip with new Simrad Halo 20 radar. First trip was OK, but brief.

At the beginning of this trip the radar overlay was working fine, but after about 2 hours, I could not read the laptop screen due to sunlight. When I could, there was no radar image on the chart and the Radar control said "radar spinning up." I could not change it, so I unplugged the ethernet port and plugged it back in. Still spinning up.

While I realize that radar is not related to NMEA data (nor occupying a USB port), the NMEA outputs are now showing RED feeds, that they did NOT show while testing at the dock.

I have GPS location, Speed over Ground (at dock), and depth, all my USB data input seems fine on the screen.

I'm going to include a screenshot of the goofy radar overlay. and one of the NMEA data streams. I have not yet managed to filter, but in previous test there was also no filtering and NOT RED streams.

Thanks,

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar on OpenCPN Oct 6.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	224728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com 4 Oct 6.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	224729  

armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 18:16   #2

Re: Incorrect Simrad radar overlay

Hi,

Addenda to posting above.

I didn't change anything at all in any settings to or from Connections. Lots had "extra" NMEA sentences, but again, even with the NOW Red sentences, all seems to be coming through fine.

The radar image does seem to be centered where my boat is now docked. BUT, it is obviously showing major "solid" images where there are none. I've tried adjusting a few settings (one at a time!) to see if there is any difference at all. No difference noticed. Currently let is automatically adjust distance, and seems fine at 1.5 NM. I have it set at 40% transparency....seems default was 50.

While I have every reason to believe OpenCPN users will be able to assist me, it is an interesting dilemna to not be able to get any help from Navico/Simrad when you do not link to a Simrad MFD.

Thanks,

Armand
Old 06-10-2020, 20:10   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Armand..
1. How is your compass heading connected?
2. What's the baud rate for the COM5 connection? Since you're, as it seems, output everything there without filter you would need about 38 400 else it may choke and not receive everything coming in.
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 20:37   #4

Hakan,

Compass is coming in via autopilot on Com 5. It has been set at 4800, I just changed it to 38.4. No difference, but understand that this is someplace to verify. Apparently overloading could be an issue. But the "brief" time I had it all connected previously was for several hours, not minutes.

The Overlay now seems a bit random, phantom landmass has moved
Tack, and sorry to be such a pain. I can read and write, and found no mention of overlay issues or how to solve.

Going under Golden Gate Bridge tomorrow. Radar might could be helpful...but have AIS and O reading charts fine!

Armand
Old 07-10-2020, 03:53   #5

Boat: Ovni 385

It seems to me that your radar image is rotated, the system seems to use some wrong heading. For a radar overlay a reliable heading is required.

In your NMEA debug window I do not see a heading coming in on COM5. Does your autopilot indeed transmit a heading? And is the autopilot indeed connected to COM5? Still the system is using a heading, otherwise it would not display a radar overlay. Could it be that you have tagged "Enable COG as heading" in the preferences window of the radar plugin? When moored the COG will be unreliable, a random direction.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, simrad