Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 17:10   #1

How Do I Use OpenCPN with Garmin?

I am new to OpenCPN. But in short order I was able to easily communicate with my SIMRAD 4G radar.

I then decided to buy a new Garmin 24 xHD, which is a network radar. Just came in a couple of days ago. I have had no luck in being able to communicate with this device. I do not have a chartplotter for the Garmin, so I had to wire it as stated in the document link on the website for direct connection to my OpenCPN computer. I created the switch using the network coupler, and I do get a flashing green light on the radar indicating it is powering up and working properly. I am even using a lab power supply to make sure I'm seeing current draw. I do have a GPS and it working. I have position and heading information displayed.

I placed the Garmin dll in the appropriate plugin directory. I then enabled the plugin and the log file opens and prints. The icon shows Garmin when I hover over it. I have tried setting my network addresses to 172.16.2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 172.16.1.1, 1.2, 1.3 addresses and many more. I did have the mask at 255.255.240.0 and I tried with and without a gateway. I am running Windows 8.1, so I disabled my Firewall completely. I also completely disabled the virus software and all its firewalls. I have tried crossover and regular Ethernet cables, as I found I had to have a crossover with the SIMRAD.

I pinged 172.16.2.0, and got a response. (That's the address the plugin is saying the radar is.)

I do not know what to check from here. I've tried all combinations of things I can think of and am seeking advice. The SIMRAD plugin was so easy that I was really surprised when it came to this one. And I can see from postings that others have this working, so please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Radar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:39   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: How Do I Use OpenCPN with Garmin?

Radar101...
Just for a start, are you trying the correct plugin? The Garmin plugin supports the HD radars, not xHD. For them, there is a plugin in early phase of development - check http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-136990.html

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50   #3

Thanks very much for that nohal (Pavel). Apparently I did not. I did not know there was a difference until just now.

I will just to that thread and try that plug in. I will report back on both threads (this one and the thread you pointed me to) if I have success.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35   #4

I downloaded the new dll for Garmin xHD from the thread relayed to me by nohal (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-136990.html). I made some progress -- I think. Instead of red dot, the icon for the radar plugin has an orange dot. And instead of the log file freezing with a "Scanner state: Standby (0)," I got "Scanner state: Standby (3)." And it continues to pipe in the new position and headings from the GPS, which was not the case before with the HD plugin.

I had to make my IP address 172.16.1.1 to get steady feeds, which was eluded to in the discussion in the other thread. But that thread sort of ended. I saw no new updates for the xHD and no clear confirmation it had been fully tested on a real radar. I'd be happy to test DLL's if someone has an update since I do have a real xHD radar.

I disabled all virus protection and windows firewalls during the tests, although I also got just as far with that all enabled too. I tried with a crossover and a standard network cable to the OpenCPN computer. Reminder here that I am running Windows 8.1 on a computer with 16 GB of RAM and a Terabyte HD.

Here's what I'm getting on my log file:

0: Found network interface: 172.16.1.1/16
1: Found network interface: 127.0.0.1/8
2: Scanner at 172.16.2.0 is accessible.
3: Successfully added to multicast group 239.254.2.0
4: ->gxradar_pi: First Packet Rx
5: UpdateState: PluginState [S] Searching (1) Scanner state: Standby (3)
6: Scan packets per tick: 54
7: UpdateState: PluginState [S] Standby (3) Scanner state: Standby (3)
8: Scan packets per tick: 71
9: True Heading: -1.#IND Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 99 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
10: True Heading: 0 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 99 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
11: True Heading: 103.74 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
12: True Heading: 122.54 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
13: True Heading: 123.62 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
14: True Heading: 123.64 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
15: True Heading: 121.28 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
16: True Heading: 123.2 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
17: True Heading: 124.5 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
18: True Heading: 125.69 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
19: True Heading: 125.63 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 7 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99

Anymore suggestions? I still am not getting the radar data yet.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:53   #5

Boat: Hylas 44

Radar101

The radar appears to be working. Just click the radar icon.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 14:16   #6

Thanks ChuckSk. I didn't see a way to go any further, and your email got me to try a few more things. Clicking on the radar icon did nothing, but then I right mouse clicked and saw "Radar Garmin Control." That control had not been there on earlier attempts. I clicked on the Radar Garmin Control and the radar menus came up. I was able to set the control to Master mode, which was a requirement. I clicked on a few more items and it began to give me data. I'm not sure yet what I clicked that actually caused it to work, but I've tried it a few more times and I can eventually make it start every time. There is no "Tx On," but something I press or close triggers that event (I see it in the logs) and the system starts to work.

Once I get more familiar with the control, I'll report back the proper sequence. But for now, I'm very happy to see this working. I've confirmed it is detecting objects too.

Thanks for all of you that responded. It was most helpful! I'll be sure to donate.

Tags
enc, garmin, opencpn