Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 06:41   #16

Re: How can I connect AIS to my Laptop?

Like CarCode said, NMEA 0183 uses RS-422. RS-232 is fine for slower speed devices like GPS which runs at 4800 kbs but maxes out at 20k (19.2 kbs). AIS runs at 38,400 so you need an RS-422-to-USB connection for the higher speed. Install your RS-422-to-USB converter driver, open Device Manager (Windows), expand the Ports and you'll see your virtual port -- probably COM3 or COM4. Click the Port Settings tab and set Bits per second to 38,400. Keep the default settings for the rest: 8-N-1-N. Launch OpenCPN, open the configuration menu -> Connections and Add a Connection (your virtual port). Set the port to 38,400. Click the Show NMEA Debug Window and hopefully you will see your AIS NMEA sentences streaming through.
crowra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:47   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

As noted above, first check if your signal OUT is rs232 or rs422. You will know this from your AIS hardware manual.

A RS232 converter will not get 422 signal to the laptop.

If your signal is rs422 (easy to tell by counting the wires as rs422 is a 4 wire against rs232 3 wire signal (gnd wire is common on rs233 for bothe in and out signal)).

Then just follow the converters pinout instructions and you are set.

PS If your AIS hardware has nmea out software switch, it must be ON for the unit to send out data. This part is software/hardware specific.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:52   #18

Boat: Najad 34

crowra...
I do not agree to the distinction between RS-232 and RS-422. My opinion is that there are no differences in data speed capability between the two. 38400 bps is fine also on RS-232.
However is RS-422(/485) often referred to as industrial standard because its capability over longer distances. RS-442 operates on higher voltage (Also is the data port ground not connected to the signal +-) and thus less sensitive for disturbance, its said to support cable distances up to 100 meters. (RS-232: 0<>+12V | RS-422: -12V<>+12V)
Mixing of the two systems, e.g. RS-232 connected to RS-422, can perhaps work but it's not recommended, especially can RS-442 connected to an old RS-232 PC port sometimes damage the port (to high voltage).
RS-422(Rx) can sometimes read RS-232(Tx) if the circuit detects the lower voltage but certain messages will likely be missed.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowra View Post
Like CarCode said, NMEA 0183 uses RS-422. RS-232 is fine for slower speed devices like GPS which runs at 4800 kbs but maxes out at 20k (19.2 kbs). AIS runs at 38,400 so you need an RS-422-to-USB connection for the higher speed. (...)
Correct when talking about a specific AIS device, but not as a general AIS/rs rule.

There are both 232 and 422 AIS devices on the market.

The limitation is not in the bauds limit but only in the length of the wires you can run with a specific rs standard before the signal gets garbled.

With longer runs (as may be the case with equipment meant for commercial applications that are spread over bigger areas and where there may be a lot of other electrical equipment around) you want rs422.

Long story short, some AIS devices are rs232, some are rs422.

b.
Old 20-10-2015, 08:46   #20
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Well, the RS-232 vs RS-422/485 main difference on a physical interface level is that RS-232 uses a single wire for Tx and a single wire for Rx, while the other two use pairs of wires.

In RS-232 Both Tx and Rx are referenced to a common ground. In other words: RS-232 is voltage driven.

RS-422/485 use a pair of wires wires for Tx (Tx+/Tx-) and a pair of wires for Rx (Rx+/Rx-). These pairs create in effect a current loop (actually two loops). In other words: RS-422/485 are current driven.

Voltage driven interfaces are cheaper (less wires) but more sensitive to noise, while current loops show high immunity to electro-magnetic interference and are preferred in industrial environments (well, *were* preferred, nowadays most new designs are optical fibre).

However, both RS-232 and RS-422 are capable of speeds well into Megabit/s range although it is rare to see them used at such speeds.

Now, with technology cleared up a bit, a little troubleshooting advice from a long term SysOp. The easy way to see if a problem is with the converter or with a device not sending data is:
- disconnect the device from the converter,
- connect pin 2 & 3 together at the converter (assuming a RS-232 DB-9 connector; iow: short Tx with Rx)
- run a terminal emulation program on the computer where the converter is attached and connect with the program to the (emulated) serial interface of the converter,
- set data transmission to NO FLOW CONTROL (i.e. no XON/XOFF, no RTS/CTS), any speed and parity/stop bits should do here,
- check that 'local echo' option of your terminal emulator is OFF,
- start typing.

If you see your typing echoed back to the terminal all is well, your converter is transmitting and receiving and its drivers are performing ok.
If doubled echo is seen it is also OK, it means that 'local echo' option was left on..
If no echo is seen, investigate on the PC side.

Now, after checking your converter, remove the short between pins 2&3 and connect data cable from your device to the converter. Set data speed and parity to correct values. Look at your terminal program again. Any incoming data present? If yes, device is transmitting and link is working correctly. Time to configure nav software. If not, investigate cable and device further.

Hope it helps someone.

Marius
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 10:10   #21

Boat: Amel Sharki

Marius,
very well explained. Hopefully anyone will understand it now...

Next problem are the RS232/USB converters especially their drivers for Windows...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 05:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post

(...)

If yes, device is transmitting and link is working correctly.

(...)

Marius
If not, you may have a rs422 out on the device. Go get a 422 converter then. And you will know which rs you have on the device from the instruction manual of the device. Buy only after. They are not dirt cheap.

@Marius: good job M. PS 232 is two (not one) wire: the gnd of tx and rx is common. Thus we are talking about a 3 wire 232 vs. four wire 422. Agree?

Regards,
b.
Old 21-10-2015, 05:36   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We probably should have this valuable information in the manual, maybe under Supplementary Hardware | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Maybe titled "RS232-RS422 Differences and Details"?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 06:11   #24

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
We probably should have this valuable information in the manual, maybe under Supplementary Hardware | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Maybe titled "RS232-RS422 Differences and Details"?
Better not as long as people don't know how to count the amount of wires...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 11:20   #25

I think there is nothing wrong with people counting the wires. If only the manufacturers could clearly give us this vital piece of info in their specs! Wiring info in manuals varies from fine (Garmin, SH, Furuno, etc.) to horrible (Raymarine, Simrad, etc.) I am not sure why.

b.
Old 21-10-2015, 16:16   #26

I can volunteer to try to consolidate this in a page in the manual, provided you guys will review it for errors/omissions. --I only know RS232.
Old 23-10-2015, 01:39   #27
mrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
@Marius: good job M. PS 232 is two (not one) wire: the gnd of tx and rx is common. Thus we are talking about a 3 wire 232 vs. four wire 422. Agree?
In the context of our topic (i.e. separate equipment connected by RS-232 cable) I absolutely agree. The third wire connects the 'grounds' and provides a common reference for voltages on Tx and Rx lines. That is what I meant when I wrote "In RS-232 both Tx and Rx are referenced to a common ground" but you are right that it is better to explicitly state that common GND is achieved by a third wire connecting equipment GNDs on both ends.

(In broader scope, I have seen setups where only two wires were used (Tx, Rx) and the GND reference was provided as a part of a common supply GND or common chassis. Not a good engineering practice and well beyond the scope of our topic.)

So in summary, yes, RS-232 is two data wires with voltages referenced to a third wire.

@rgleason: I think a manual page is a good initiative and I will try to help where I can.

Regards,
Marius
Old 26-10-2015, 19:40   #28

Please check out:
RS-232 and RS-422/485 Differences and Details | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Does RS-422 have a separate GND ground? Perhaps it should be mentioned too.
Old 27-10-2015, 08:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Please check out:
RS-232 and RS-422/485 Differences and Details | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Does RS-422 have a separate GND ground? Perhaps it should be mentioned too.
It does. But it is irrelevant to the signal. Mind RS422 devices can be separated by hundreds of yards and they may as well have their own gnd each.

Also to the poster one post above: skip the chasis part - it is not EARTH, it is GROUND on the rs232. Keep the chasis out of the picture for clarity.

b.
Old 30-10-2015, 03:27   #30
mrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It does. But it is irrelevant to the signal. Mind RS422 devices can be separated by hundreds of yards and they may as well have their own gnd each.

Also to the poster one post above: skip the chasis part - it is not EARTH, it is GROUND on the rs232. Keep the chasis out of the picture for clarity.

b.
Yes, and.. yes.

M.

@rgleason: to me it looks good, but I am not a native English speaker...

Tags
ais, laptop