Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2017, 07:39   #1

Help needed with OpenCPN Route Planning using Mac

I am a new Mac user of OpenCPN. I cannot figure out how to include existing waypoints in a route. I tried following the steps in the Help Manual but when I split a route and then attempt to right click, I do not get a pop up window that allows me to add additional waypoints to the route. The popup that I get is "Waypoint Properties, Remove Selected and Copy all as Text." The Route is divided as at the waypoint I selected into a new route, but I cannot figure out to add new waypoints into the route.
argus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:15   #2

Re: Help needed with OpenCPN Route Planning using Mac

I figured out how to what I needed. Right click on the route itself brings up a menu where to add waypoints or extend the route.

Thanks all.
Old 26-11-2017, 01:22   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Argus 1
For questions like this it is often faster to search the User Manual. Perhaps make a bookmark to it and use the search function?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...s:create_route

That's what I often do for needed answers, if you don't find an answer that way or under FAQ, then it is a good time to ask here.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 12:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Argus 1
For questions like this it is often faster to search the User Manual. Perhaps make a bookmark to it and use the search function?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...s:create_route

That's what I often do for needed answers, if you don't find an answer that way or under FAQ, then it is a good time to ask here.
You didn't answer my question. The OpenCPN user manual at times do not have specific instructions for Mac operating system. The online manual instructions adding extending and waypoints to a route do not work on Mac. I discovered how to add waypoints and to extend the route by trial and error.
Why did assume that I did not search the manual first? I posted when I got to point of frustration in the hope that other more experienced Mac users would step in to help.
Old 28-11-2017, 20:26   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sorry Argus, I do not have a Mac. Yes, I agree completely with you about not having good specific MAC instructions at times in the manual. Would you be willing to improve our documentation for the MAC? We really need someone who can add the MAC specific instructions. In fact, we could even have a separate FAQ section for MAC.

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. The OpenCPN user manual at times do not have specific instructions for Mac operating system. The online manual instructions adding extending and waypoints to a route do not work on Mac. I discovered how to add waypoints and to extend the route by trial and error.
Why did assume that I did not search the manual first? I posted when I got to point of frustration in the hope that other more experienced Mac users would step in to help.
Yes there are some very experienced MAC users who are helpful, but often they are programming or otherwise busy with work, since this is a volunteer operation.

For example, would you be willing to write something to help fellow Mac Users with your questions about adding waypoints and extending routes? If you post your writeup here I can add it to the manual. (Make a suggestion where you'd like it)

Also if you would like I can add you as an editor/manager for the User Manual so you can add Mac specific items as you learn. Just PM me with your email address, so I can add you.

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 23:51   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Argus 1
Or simply use Google.
It invariably finds the answer in the manual or on CF.

Mind you, I am a Linux and or win7 user.
I refuse to use an operating system that won't play nice with others. :-)
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, route