Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 22:36   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
Help finding/separating Routes from Tracks

Hi,

I exported Routes from Coastal Explorer, which uses NOB (navigation object) file extension to GPX so I could take them to OpenCPN. While I only chose files that I had named and were Routes, when I imported them into OpenCPN, I also received all of my Tracks. The Tracks do not show up with the other files, or I don't know how to find if they are "hidden."

The routes, which was my goal, look to be perfect.

In O, you can right click on a track and ask to Delete it. Been there, done that...does NOT Delete. I'm guessing that if I had created the tracks in O, then I could probably delete them. But, since I unknowingly imported them, they won't Delete through the command in O.

Anyway to "find" and/or separate these files?

Thanks,

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Help finding/separating Routes from Tracks

Armand....
Simplest way would be to stop OCPN, and manually edit the "navobj.xml" file found alongside your OCPN logfile. The structure should be apparent once you recognize the XML syntax.

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Armand....
Simplest way would be to stop OCPN, and manually edit the "navobj.xml" file found alongside your OCPN logfile. The structure should be apparent once you recognize the XML syntax.

Good Luck
Dave
Dave,

Thanks but it is not simple enough for me! I can find several navobj.xml files and will attach a screen shot. I opened the largest one, like 4.5k, and it does show waypoints and NONE have Names, all numbers. I tried to Delete the file as it does not appear to be Routes. But, file did Not Delete. Must be a special file...can't delete. Perhaps can use Notepad to edit?

Thanks, and I do appreciate all the help I've received.

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navobj files.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	223075   Click image for larger version

Name:	navobj.xml1.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	223076  

Old 09-09-2020, 17:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

armand...
The file you want is in the same directory as your OpenCPN.log file, which you can find by clicking the "?" icon in the toolbar.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 21:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
armand...
The file you want is in the same directory as your OpenCPN.log file, which you can find by clicking the "?" icon in the toolbar.

Dave
Dave,

Your suggestion is right on, but sorry to say that I cannot tell which info in Navobj.xml is a "route" or a "track." And, perhaps the small example is either both or neither! I want to eliminate Tracks. Hm, they do show as yellow, maybe that info is in there someplace to give me a clue?

Going to attach a screenshot.

I had an issue getting Nav Routes to the Simrad so had to put this effort on the back burner. I am getting solid looking data to the autopilot now (not tested underway).

Thanks everyone for help.

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navobj file.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	225666  
Old 21-10-2020, 21:54   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Armand, I edit navobj.xml frequently using Notepad (actually I prefer Notepad++, but either works). I don’t know how your import handled things, but all my tracks show up between <trk> and </trk> tags. Each point is <trkpt>. I remove and archive my tracks this way about once a year because navobj grows too big and the tools inside O are a bit clunky for bulk work. You can post your whole navobj file here by changing the extension to .doc or .pdf if you would like someone to take a quick look.

Here’s an old post on the subject with more details:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2686208
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 22:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Armand, I edit navobj.xml frequently using Notepad (actually I prefer Notepad++, but either works). I don’t know how your import handled things, but all my tracks show up between <trk> and </trk> tags. Each point is <trkpt>. I remove and archive my tracks this way about once a year because navobj grows too big and the tools inside O are a bit clunky for bulk work. You can post your whole navobj file here by changing the extension to .doc or .pdf if you would like someone to take a quick look.

Here’s an old post on the subject with more details:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2686208
Dsanduril,

Great suggestion. I can do that! Must be very careful, and sounds tedious. Glad to find out that the Navobj.xml file keeps getting substantially larger each time. It surely looks like a very long file at this time, with about 40 routes and likely as many tracks. It seems I can delete Routes, and some of the tracks....as I just tried again.

Although I had names on the routes in the program Coastal Explorer, none of them came through the export import process. But, I'm happy that they are there, so I'll do some cleanup work. I was having issues getting O to send Routes to my autopilot, but Hakan and others put me on the right track and all is now working.

Thanks,

Armand

Tags
route