Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28   #1

Boat: CHB 34
Help Finding a GPS For Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave

I'm new to this and have loaded the Opencpn 5.0 raster charts. I am not finding a gps receiver that is compatible. For example the Globalsat BU 353-S4 does not have current drivers for this operating system (I bought it and could not get it to work). The Garmin Glo 2 according to the Garmin site does not work with OS. The Dual Electronics xpgs 160 has numerous issues and can't find the driver for it. There has to be a gps receiver that I can use with the USB or bluetooth, with a driver that will download and allow me to use the gps with Opencpn. Guidance to get me past this hurdle is appreciated. I currently use Inavx on the iPhone but like the larger view and other options Opencpn provides.
ChinaClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Help Finding a GPS For Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaClipper View Post
I'm new to this and have loaded the Opencpn 5.0 raster charts. I am not finding a gps receiver that is compatible. For example the Globalsat BU 353-S4 does not have current drivers for this operating system (I bought it and could not get it to work). The Garmin Glo 2 according to the Garmin site does not work with OS. The Dual Electronics xpgs 160 has numerous issues and can't find the driver for it. There has to be a gps receiver that I can use with the USB or bluetooth, with a driver that will download and allow me to use the gps with Opencpn. Guidance to get me past this hurdle is appreciated. I currently use Inavx on the iPhone but like the larger view and other options Opencpn provides.
The Dual Electronics XGPS160 does not need a driver because it is a Bluetooth device and not USB. For first use you need to pair the device with your computer. Reading the manual of this device will help.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...OM-Rev-1.3.pdf
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38   #3

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I use the BU 353-S4. Can not remember where I found the driver, though, but it does exists. Try and check GlobalSats home page.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41   #4

Boat: Fisher 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I use the BU 353-S4. Can not remember where I found the driver, though, but it does exists. Try and check GlobalSats home page.

+ 1 this.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Be careful using such drivers. With MacOS Catalina Apple don't use anymore 32bit software. Even a lot of printer drivers does not work anymore with Catalina!
Old 29-11-2019, 00:50   #6

Thanks for the information, the Dual Electronics XGPS160 works perfectly with Mac OS 10.14.6. Not upgrading to Catalina since the snags are worked out.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:50   #7

@ChinaClipper

I picked up a new XGPS160 mainly because up to 5 devices can connect to it.

I want to use it for positioning in OpenCPN on my Macbook Air (running Ventura 13.1) and Navionics on my iPad. Never trust 1 source....

I can get it to connect to the iPad no problem. But no joy in connecting it to the Macbook Air. This is what I'm seeing:
At first, the Mac will say “Connected” next to the XGPS device name. After a few seconds, the status will change back to “Not Connected”. The blue Bluetooth light on the XGPS will continue to blink like it's not connected
to anything.

Did you do anything to get the XGPS160 to connect to your Mac? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
syprorenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 13:29   #8

I have one that is several years old, had 'warnings' about the USB/Serial driver a couple of years ago, and on a lark tried it on my M1 Mac a couple months ago and all was good. Over in this thread here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ac-268852.html

If I get time later today, I will go dig it out of the locker it is buried in and find the exact manufacturer and model number.
pnw2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 17:33   #9

The step by step I went through is on the boat. Getting it to work had to do with the settings in the OpenCPN settings and connections. I now run Big Sur 11.7.2 on a MacBook and works fine. The attachment is a screen shot of the settings I am using, you'll need to try those settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 8.17.41 PM.png
Views:	32
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	269585  
Old 05-01-2023, 22:05   #10

Boat: Lagoon 500

Columbus V-800 Mark III is a bluetooth USB dongle and it works great on my MacBook Pro running Monterey (does not work with Apple Maps though). No special driver needed - just set it up under OpenCPN/Options/Connections as follows:
Serial
DataPort: /dev/cu.usbserial-CNEAb111216
Baudrate: 38,400
Protocol: NMEA0183
Priority: 1
Control checksum: tick
Leave rest as default values

Dual SkyPro XGPS160
Outstanding performance and can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously. "Be warned though" - it does not like being connected to its USB charger (or any other charger) for too long. The PCB inside overheats and fails. I have had 3 of these devices fail over a 2 year period, and I am now starting with my 4th XGPS160. If you plan on using it as your GPS device for more than a 12 hour voyage, then you will have to connect the USB charger and this is where the trouble starts. The Chinese manufacturer is well aware of the issue, but has not been able to fix the problem in the 3 years that I have been using the XGPS160.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Dual SkyPro XGPS160
Outstanding performance and can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously. "Be warned though" - it does not like being connected to its USB charger (or any other charger) for too long. The PCB inside overheats and fails. I have had 3 of these devices fail over a 2 year period, and I am now starting with my 4th XGPS160. If you plan on using it as your GPS device for more than a 12 hour voyage, then you will have to connect the USB charger and this is where the trouble starts. The Chinese manufacturer is well aware of the issue, but has not been able to fix the problem in the 3 years that I have been using the XGPS160.
I cannot confirm that. Using the XPS160 since more than 5 years and permanently attached to the boats 12V system with using a 12/5 V adapter. I know however about problems of some USB connectors of Windows computers. Perhaps this is your reason of damaging the device. So never use the computers USB connector to feed devices!
Old 06-01-2023, 11:01   #12

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I cannot confirm that. Using the XPS160 since more than 5 years and permanently attached to the boats 12V system with using a 12/5 V adapter. I know however about problems of some USB connectors of Windows computers. Perhaps this is your reason of damaging the device. So never use the computers USB connector to feed devices!
Wow. Wish I had that experience. I have always used the USB cigarette lighter adaptor supplied with the XGPS160. I have had a 2 year running dialogue with the manufacturer and they say to use only the supplied adaptor. The manufacturer has been cooperative and is replacing the last XGPS160 to fail. Hopefully, I will get a good one this time because I love being able to connect the XGPS160 to either of my MacBook Pro, iPad or iPhone - and Apple Maps works with it.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Wow. Wish I had that experience. I have always used the USB cigarette lighter adaptor supplied with the XGPS160. I have had a 2 year running dialogue with the manufacturer and they say to use only the supplied adaptor. The manufacturer has been cooperative and is replacing the last XGPS160 to fail. Hopefully, I will get a good one this time because I love being able to connect the XGPS160 to either of my MacBook Pro, iPad or iPhone - and Apple Maps works with it.
The XGPS160 has an unknown message about the status of this device. If you are a programmer you may use it. See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XGPS160_GPPWR.pdf (68.5 KB, 15 views)

Tags
gps