Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 14:57   #1756

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNA View Post
Thanks but I'm not finding a "Dark Mode" setting only Change Color Scheme which only offers worse looking settings.
He meant "Switch macOS from dark mode to light mode", that will help you with the dialog readability, patches for which are already commited in the source tree for the next release.

It will of course not help you with the black artifacts around lights on the charts, those I have never seen as far as I can tell (but my Mac hardware is somewhat newer than yours). You may try to go to Toolbox -> Display -> Advanced -> OpenGL Options button and turn off the various smoothing options, but I don't have very high hope it will help.

Edit: Of course also try to disable all the plugins you have installed to discard the possibility some of them does bad things to the OpenGL stack.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 18:38   #1757

Thanks Nohal. Its now more usable with dark mode off. I tried disabling plugins and turning off the all smooth options in OpenGL but still have pesky black artifacts around lights. Seems in previous version I could change the scale of the lights. Seems in Vector Chart Display> under the list 'user standard objects' I'm not able to check/uncheck any of them in the list. I thought turning off lights may correct the artifact issue. Are these locked somewhere? Man I feel so clunky and stupid in 5.0 vs 4.0!

Do you think updating to from 10.14.4 to 10.15.X is worth trying to clear up OpenGL issue. I've wanted to update but we're anchored out on slow Aliv connection. What version is your Mac running?
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 18:59   #1758

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNA View Post
Thanks Nohal. Its now more usable with dark mode off. I tried disabling plugins and turning off the all smooth options in OpenGL but still have pesky black artifacts around lights. Seems in previous version I could change the scale of the lights. Seems in Vector Chart Display> under the list 'user standard objects' I'm not able to check/uncheck any of them in the list. I thought turning off lights may correct the artifact issue. Are these locked somewhere? Man I feel so clunky and stupid in 5.0 vs 4.0!
The user standard objects are relevant only to the User Standard display category (which you can select together with many other display options in the per chart canvas "hamburger" menu on the bottom right of each chart canvas). Once at least one of your chart canvases is set to this category, the list of objects gets enabled in the Toobox.

Quote:
Do you think updating to from 10.14.4 to 10.15.X is worth trying to clear up OpenGL issue. I've wanted to update but we're anchored out on slow Aliv connection. What version is your Mac running?
I really don't know. I went through pretty much every macOS release since I got the (Early 2015 13 inch Retina Macbook) machine in 2015, and while sometimes they had annoying bugs, I can't remember any of them was affecting OpenGL display in OpenCPN. Currently am on 11.2.3 Big Sur.
Just for the security fixes I would personally update to the latest you can.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:15   #1759

Boat: Amel Sharki

May be the soon to be published version 3.1.5 of wxWidgets will solve such issues. Furthermore there are signs to be seen OpenGL will not supported anymore in the future by some manufacturers. Vulkan seems to be the replacement and there are several attemps to port Vulkan to any hardware. Better to think in an early stage where to go with OpenCPN.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:09   #1760

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

Hello
A strange problem with radar plugin.
I have 2 computers with the same setup, ubuntu 20.04.2 opencpn 5.2.4 and radar 5.1.4
My radar is old 3G so it should work as br24
The old computer recognize the radar as BR24 and it works perfect
The fresh install computer recognize the radar as 3G and just show a red circle on radar screen. Don't get any contact as BR24 only 3G

Anyone who has any idea, can it be something in the old computer from older versions that make it work?
kirribilli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 13:23   #1761

Boat: Najad 34

kirribilli...
No real ideas. I've both a BR24 and a 3G running on Win10 and RPi. Although not Ubuntu so no experiences there. Except RPi I've not used any fresh PCs though.

If it would have been Windows I should have checked the firewall but that would not be an issue for you? Or does a new Linux use firewalls?

The different recognition for BR24 versus 3G is a not understood. It's the same code.

But ... There has been some code changes for Linux Navico network connection socket. You may want try the beta5 version of the plugin.
In Options > Plugins change "Settings" to "Beta" and then "Update Beta catalog". Select radar_pi and update to 5.2.0.beta5....
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 13:19   #1762

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

Thanks Håkan
I think your magic words helped...
I tried for a few hours yesterday with no result, I just got 3G with 100% radar echo over the screen.
But I think the problem was that I closed down BR24 window on screen and only 3G was visible, and it don't work with my old 3G antenna.
Not sure but I think that right click in middle of screen and open settings for BR24 was the key and then turn off 3G radar. When it works it is hard to know what the problem was.

Now everything works perfect
Thanks
kirribilli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 17:32   #1763

Updated Macbook and OpenGL back working fine.
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 13:51   #1764

Is an Android version of OpenCPN available or in the pipeline?
Coq Circe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:39   #1765

Boat: Tartan, T412, 41ft - PAINTED SKIES

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US

Download from GooglePlay. Successfully used on Samsung tablets and Google Pixel 3A
laeleasterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 17:32   #1766

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq Circe View Post
Is an Android version of OpenCPN available or in the pipeline?
First, Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

OpenCPN for Android is available on the Google Store for $10.

There are older versions available here & there for free, but the paid version helps support Dave Register, OpenCPN's creator. And $10 is pretty trivial for all that it gives you.

Having said that, we're out in the boonies of SE Asia, where the commercial charts are terrible. So we've been augmenting our charts with satellite imagery since 2014. We're now running mbTiles (available in OpenCPN since version 5) of ArcGIS (which is awesome), Bing (Microsoft), Google Earth, Navionics(!) & CMap.

The satellite imagery is amazingly accurate, with max errors on the order of 10'/3m. You really have to see it to believe it. The Navionics & CMap charts, which are also freely available, aren't as accurate, but they have depths.

But my point is that mbTiles get pretty huge, often bigger than is easily accommodated in an Android device.

One option is to have a laptop running with OpenCPN & whatever charts you want, & setup a small WiFi network on your boat so you can run TeamViewer (or other screen-sharing software) to a tablet or even a phone up at the helm.

If you want to make your own mbTiles, the tools & data are all free on the internet, but it does require time, lots of data downloads, & a Windows computer. I've written a How To article on Making mbTiles that walks you through the process.

Good luck!
Old 14-09-2021, 02:41   #1767

Jon Hacking, thats alot more than I expected. It's great to know there's an Android version, I'm happy to contribute. Thanks for the info re Tiles and screen sharing. I suppose there wouldn't be much lag time in close proximity over a wifi network. And thanks for the welcome!! ⛵⚓ 😁
Old 14-09-2021, 12:18   #1768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
First, Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

OpenCPN for Android is available on the Google Store for $10.

There are older versions available here & there for free, but the paid version helps support Dave Register, OpenCPN's creator. And $10 is pretty trivial for all that it gives you.

Having said that, we're out in the boonies of SE Asia, where the commercial charts are terrible. So we've been augmenting our charts with satellite imagery since 2014. We're now running mbTiles (available in OpenCPN since version 5) of ArcGIS (which is awesome), Bing (Microsoft), Google Earth, Navionics(!) & CMap.

The satellite imagery is amazingly accurate, with max errors on the order of 10'/3m. You really have to see it to believe it. The Navionics & CMap charts, which are also freely available, aren't as accurate, but they have depths.

But my point is that mbTiles get pretty huge, often bigger than is easily accommodated in an Android device.

One option is to have a laptop running with OpenCPN & whatever charts you want, & setup a small WiFi network on your boat so you can run TeamViewer (or other screen-sharing software) to a tablet or even a phone up at the helm.

If you want to make your own mbTiles, the tools & data are all free on the internet, but it does require time, lots of data downloads, & a Windows computer. I've written a How To article on Making mbTiles that walks you through the process.

Good luck!
I downloaded OpenCPN for Android and am trying to download maps for Ireland. Their website list of maps points to Visit My Harbour for UK maps and Ireland amongst others but when I went to download its only Northern Ireland. I wonder is there a map for the Republic of Ireland?
Regards,
Old 14-09-2021, 14:20   #1769

Please check again. The whole of Ireland is included.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 23:57   #1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
Please check again. The whole of Ireland is included.

Mike
I'll have a look again. I put Galway in the Search and nothing came up. 🤔