The intention of this thread is to provide some additional guidance in connecting handheld GPS
, in hopes that it will save some people some time getting started.
1. Under Setup / System / Interface set unit to "Garmin Spanner"
2. Make sure proper location is shown and satellites are being recieved.
unit into mini USB and USB into computer.
4. Downloads USB Garmin
driver on computer. Some searching done first.
5. Menu pops up on Garmin. USB Storage
Device Yes, No. Select no.
6. There should be a Garmin USB driver under Devices now that is working properly.
7. Open up OpenCPN
, and under Options / Connections Tab / Nmea
Data Source select "Garmin" and under Nmea
8. You should see a red ship located properly, rather than a grey one now.