Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 03:27   #1

Boat: Rainke S, 34 feet
GPS problem on linux-on-android OCPN

Hi guys,

I installed linux using Linux Deploy utility. OCPN works fine. The only problem is that I can't connect it to internal GPS.
I have rooted Samsung 7" mini - it doesn't have hotspot option, so I guess that is the reason that "GPS share wifi" is not helping. I installed TurboGPS, but is doesn't seems to have any influence on linux. The only way I managed to solve it - is by using "NMEA Relay", but it requires active wifi access point, which is frustrating in the sea.
When I try to add serial connection in OCPN, it tells me that I don't have serial ports, but then allows me to select some port. However nothing happens and the debug window is blank.

Any help would be blessed
Iriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 09:27   #2

Re: GPS problem on linux-on-android OCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriy View Post
Hi guys,

I installed linux using Linux Deploy utility. OCPN works fine. The only problem is that I can't connect it to internal GPS.
I have rooted Samsung 7" mini - it doesn't have hotspot option, so I guess that is the reason that "GPS share wifi" is not helping. I installed TurboGPS, but is doesn't seems to have any influence on linux. The only way I managed to solve it - is by using "NMEA Relay", but it requires active wifi access point, which is frustrating in the sea.
When I try to add serial connection in OCPN, it tells me that I don't have serial ports, but then allows me to select some port. However nothing happens and the debug window is blank.

Any help would be blessed
*First. The hotspot is not required and if you had the feature it would be turned off.
*Second. The dataport you should use in OpenCPN is the same as specified in GPS share WIFI in Settings/Local Port which is probably 12776.
*Address is 'localhost', 'Type - network'.
*If you haven't already download "GPSTEST" from Google Play, do so.
*Enable 'location' (GPS) in the android Settings app.
*Launch GPS Share WIFI and and enable by tapping on the green button.
*Launch GPS TEST to observe gps activity. Once satellites are acquired and you have a position return to OpenCPN.
*In OpenCPN Settings (the wrench icon) make sure you have 'applied' your settings and tap on 'ok'.
*GPS activity should appear with green bars in the icon in the upper right corner and your ownship will move to your current position on the chart.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 10:44   #3

Boat: Rainke S, 34 feet

Wrong, you are Right!
After unticking "hotspot" checkbox and changing in OCPN from 0.0.0.0 to localhost it started to work!

Thanks!
Iriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:34   #4

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriy View Post
Hi guys,

I installed linux using Linux Deploy utility. OCPN works fine.
hello Iriy, what is Linux Deploy utility ?

thank by advance.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello Iriy, what is Linux Deploy utility ?

thak by advance.

Gilletarom
Linux Deploy is an android application used to install Linux on android devices. Once installed you have the option of running OpenCPN and other linux prcograms in a 'chroot' linux environment along side the android system. See my instructions here for doing everything necessary to use OpenCPN on your android device. Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage Simplified instructions will be posted there sometime later today.

10" screen size recommended with 1200X800 resolution maximum.
Old 15-03-2015, 09:03   #6

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Wrong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Linux Deploy is an android application .... See my instructions here for doing everything necessary to use OpenCPN on your android device. Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage Simplified instructions will be posted there sometime later today. ....
Thank you.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Linux Deploy is an android application used to install Linux on android devices. Once installed you have the option of running OpenCPN and other linux prcograms in a 'chroot' linux environment along side the android system. See my instructions here for doing everything necessary to use OpenCPN on your android device. Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage Simplified instructions will be posted there sometime later today.

10" screen size recommended with 1200X800 resolution maximum.
Simplified instructions are up. Inviting comments for suggested further improvement.

Tags
gps, linux