Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 08:14   #16

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: GPS Mac os 10.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzzerk View Post
I am disappointed with O, as Mac ENC has a beautiful all inclusive "GPS window" and same for AIS.

Sorry people but it is so true . . .""Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. Albert Einstein""

I'll leave you all to your windoze.

bye

I’ve used all of offerings for the Mac, including MacENC, PolarNavy, and OpenCPN. I started using OpenCPN, as all the other options failed. Most (including MacENC) didn’t have the features of OpenCPN (it does a lot!).

But I get it that it has a large learning curve and has a clunky open-source development process that’s not for everyone. It’s a community as much as it’s a piece of software. A lot of the time as a Mac user, I have to help develop solutions and report bugs. For me, that’s great, as without that, there would be few usable options for the Mac.

OpenCPN may indeed not be for you, but you’re in luck because MacENC is being rereleased as a 64-bit package. It will have no new features other than it’ll be fully compatible with OSX Catalina. They will honor your old license. Visit MacENC.com for info.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 05:04   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Steve, It would be very helpful to have a brief list of what the issues are that a MacOS user faces, so that they could hopefully be addressed.

If this can be improved with better wiki documentation for MacOS, I can provide you with access to the Wiki as Editor. ....perhaps I've already made you an editor? Just PM me with your email and CForum alias I'll add you to as an editor. (..Hopefully I am no longer locked out. Nope still locked out).
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 07:40   #18

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Steve, It would be very helpful to have a brief list of what the issues are that a MacOS user faces, so that they could hopefully be addressed.
He is correct. OpenCPN for macOS is a mess and I have pointed out this already many years ago. There is nothing and really nothing which is conform to the macOS guidelines. Apple offers a lot of documentation for free but nobody cares about it. Obviously for the next macOS version OpenCPN will not work anymore and this is good so.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 08:19   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
He is correct. OpenCPN for macOS is a mess and I have pointed out this already many years ago. There is nothing and really nothing which is conform to the macOS guidelines. Apple offers a lot of documentation for free but nobody cares about it. Obviously for the next macOS version OpenCPN will not work anymore and this is good so.
Apple's recommendations/guidelines don't really accommodate software that is cross platform. Following their guidelines would essentially be scrapping the entire OCPN project and writing new software from the ground up in Apple's ecosystem using Objective-C and Apple's SDK. It would be portable to an iPad, but impossible to port to Windows / Linux / Android.

Other than not being part of Apple's ecosystem, how is OCPN a mess?
Old 26-08-2020, 09:07   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

If this can be improved with better wiki documentation for MacOS, I can provide you with access to the Wiki as Editor. ....perhaps I've already made you an editor? Just PM me with your email and CForum alias I'll add you to as an editor. (..Hopefully I am no longer locked out. Nope still locked out).
PM sent, Rick.

Off the top of my head, I don't have any real issues that I haven't already mentioned, so far. Mainly just the issues I see with the Mac's transition from "light mode" to "dark mode," but those certainly don't affect the functionality of the program.

And so it's not specifically Mac compliant. I've been a Mac user since the dawn of time and have to say, "who cares!" At least there is a good navigation app for the Mac. All the others have come and gone. OpenCPN fills a lot of voids. Who cares that it's not a perfect Mac app? It works and I've been using it for since 4.6.2. I'm happy to have it. The price is certainly worth it.

Because of all this, I've always been happy to share and contribute where I can. OpenSource isn't for everyone, but I actually enjoy the process of helping go from nothing to "works well on a Mac."

Steve
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 11:46   #21
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Has somebody installed and tested with macOS 11 Big Sur?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 10:42   #22

Back from the dead . . .

MacENC

https://www.navstation.net/
buzzzerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps