Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 07:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

git

Considering a shift from CVS to to git for version control. Anyone have any objections or comments regarding using sourceforge as "the" git repository? Any other options? We need to have one repo that is well known by the world to be the "official" one...... Thanks Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 12:18   #2

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
I remember a post on sourceforge vs "pure" git:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post461350

There's also a tread about git:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ory-36892.html
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 14:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Considering a shift from CVS to to git for version control. Anyone have any objections or comments regarding using sourceforge as "the" git repository? Any other options? We need to have one repo that is well known by the world to be the "official" one...... Thanks Dave
Another popular git hosting service to consider is github.

Secure source code hosting and collaborative development - GitHub

Main difference that I would note is that github is "easily forkable". Each github user may have personal branches of any project and draft or play within them. Obviously such branches are visible on the main project page and can be merged if needed.

The disadvantage is that github is actually a commercial company, open source projects provided with a free plan with space limit that are extensible though. Current limit is 300 Mb that is quite enough.

Happily git is not bound to one single repository, so SourceForge can easily be an official one and development sandbox can be in some different place if needed.
antonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:56   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
Lots of good reasons to switch to git. CVS has lived a good life, but it's really reached the end of it's life.

Choice of a hosting provider is somewhat less important, since a repo can easily be moved around... Although you do want to be sure to only have a single master/origin at any particular time. Having said that, since sourceforge is already where the project is currently, that seems like the natural choice, to me...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 22:23   #5

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
I love git....

I guess no surprise in that.

I like github as a development area, it have many more nice functions that sf. In the repository, SF thou have bug tracking and stuff like that github is missing. Howevere haveing a git reposotory at sf does not hinder deleopeers from using github and shareing stuff there. It maybe will give a small manual labour for someone to push updates into that place, if one have an extra repository.

The handling of comments on code is really nice in github imho...
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 22:31   #6

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Follow me, Alice .... no time to wave hello, goodbye ..... Did this thread happen under the mushroom?
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 04:52   #7

Boat: Phantom 19
Hi,
just tested github about 3 miles off the Croatian coast with the local 3g usb stick which is probably the only option to get reasonably priced internet here. Works very well... As for the SF approach to git, read the post pointed out higher - limited in the features, for an official repo no problem though. As for the development, github is really much better as far as I can tell.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 18:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

CVS is dead, long live git

Developers and Testers....

I have initialized a git repository on sourceforge:

You can view the repo through the sourceforge web page.
You can clone a local copy by:

Code:
git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn
This repo will be the "official" OpenCPN git spot. This is not to say that other private repos should not be utilized for development and code sharing. Far from it. It merely means that when we get into the next stage of Beta testing, this is where the RC's will come from, and this is where the Release will occur.

I will push changes to this repo (or maybe a branch) for future Betas and Releases. Developers may pull and merge with their local branches as needed. email me when your patches are ready, and I will pull, merge, and push to the sourceforge master ( or maybe a "bleeding edge" branch) as appropriate.

Developers are also encouraged to publish links to their own (github, etc) repositories, so that courageous testers can try out new features before they are integrated into the master.

Sourceforge CVS is now dormant at Release 2.1.0 Build 624a

git is a new thing for me, and there may be hiccups. Seems workable so far..... We shall overcome any difficulties as they arise

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32   #9

Boat: Dufour 35
I like to have a script doing all the download and compiling work for me. This way I only need one command + a password later on, to start playing with one of Dave's latest betas. Here is my latest incarnation of this script, using git. You only need to edit the third line in the script to suit you. If you haven't got a git copy of opencpn it creates one, otherwise it updates the existing one if there are any changes on sourceforge. Ideas for a better script are welcome.

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: doc GitOCPN.tar.gz.doc (390 Bytes, 65 views)
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote