Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 04:35   #1

Get manual waypoints ubication

We are replacing a broken PC with a new one. But we can not see in the old machine where manual waypoints were created. Are they in the Windows registry (which was xp, the new one is win10) or in a folder on disk?

Thank you
meigallodixital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 05:45   #2

Re: Get manual waypoints ubication

OpenCPN on Windows records waypoints in
Code:
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml
and backup copies are in
Code:
navobj.1.xml
navobj.2.xml
navobj.3.xml
navobj.4.xml
navobj.5.xml
The "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\" folder is hidden when Windows is installed, but you can make it visible using the File Explorer.

OpenCPN does not use the Registry to store data or settings. Windows does record the date and version of OpenCPN in the Registry when OpenCPN is installed from its setup program.

More information is included in the OpenCPN manual:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pn_user_manual

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:35   #3

In win10 I have that folder, on the hard drive of the old PC (windows xp) I do not see it. I do not know if that version of Windows is saved in another folder.

Localized: c:\Documents and Settings\{username}\ProgramData

Thanks a lot for the reply
Old 27-06-2017, 07:15   #4

I have not run my old XP/SP3 computer for a long time. The corrected path is
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\
The "Application Data\" folder is hidden, but File Explorer in Win10 can be set to make it visible.

Paul
Old 30-06-2017, 04:25   #5

Waypoints created with version 4.x appear, but waypoints created with 1.3.6 are not displayed.

Must be migrated in any way?
Old 30-06-2017, 09:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meigallodixital View Post
Waypoints created with version 4.x appear, but waypoints created with 1.3.6 are not displayed.

Older waypoints might have been moved into one or more files in the "layers" folder. On an XP, the layers folder would be
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\layers\
Files in "layers" usually have the ".gpx" extension.

Paul
Old 03-07-2017, 00:29   #7

We do not have that folder, only cm93 and CrashReports folders. Could it be that the format of the waypoints is not compatible even while in navobj.xml?

Sorry for responding so late, I was traveling.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:51   #8

Quote:
We do not have that folder, only cm93 and CrashReports folders. Could it be that the format of the waypoints is not compatible even while in navobj.xml?

Sorry for responding so late, I was traveling.
It is unlikely that the format of the waypoints has been changed such that waypoints created by a previous version of OpenCPN would not be recognized by a newer version of OpenCPN. However, version 1.3.6 is earlier than any I have used. I started using OpenCPN at about 2.1.0.

You can look inside navobj.xml. Make a copy first. Then open the copy using a program Windows suggests (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Notepad or WordPad) or Notepad++ (free download). You could look for waypoint names that are not listed in OpenCPN's Route & Mark Manager.

Quote:

The only "migration" that is commonly used is to Export waypoints, routes, etc. from the Route & Mark Manager in OpenCPN. Export creates files with the ".gpx" extension.

Paul
Old 03-07-2017, 05:53   #9

We were able to boot a virtualized image of the old disk and could export waypoints and use them in version 4.6.1

Thanks a lot for the support.

Now the boat owner wants to be sure to have the same thing in 1.3.6 ... this is another story ... If we import the .gpx from 4.6.1 in version 1.3.6 it freezes ...
Old 03-07-2017, 07:09   #10

Quote:
We were able to boot a virtualized image of the old disk and could export waypoints and use them in version 4.6.1

Thanks a lot for the support.

Now the boat owner wants to be sure to have the same thing in 1.3.6 ... this is another story ... If we import the .gpx from 4.6.1 in version 1.3.6 it freezes ...
I am glad to read that the waypoints were recovered.

There have been some additions to the waypoint information as newer versions of OpenCPN have evolved. Most likely 1.3.6 chokes on something new.

The waypoint dialog used to be a single small window that would fit on the screen without needing scroll bars. Now it is three pages. On the Basic page, I think the Arrival Radius is new, I know the Range Rings are new, and I know the Links (to local files or Internet) box is new. The Description page is new, but it simply makes it easier to expand on the Description from the Basic page. The Extended page is new.

I suppose running an old version of OpenCPN might be the only way to run on a Win95 machine with minimum RAM and disk.

Paul
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03   #11

We have managed to import the waypoints in 1.3.6, but it works horrible: it crashes, slow in the scroll, a lot of time in open/close ... for now it will be this way.

Thank you so much for everything