Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 08:54   #1

Boat: Challenger 35 Ketch
Garmin USB GPS Interface

I am new to OpenCPN so maybe others have the answer to this problem. OpenCPN does not always find my Garmin GPSmap 478 on the USB. I looked at the Windows 7 device manager and the Garmin USB GPS device shows up. Looking at the Garmin GPS Properties tells me that "This device is working properly." It also shows the location as Port_#0004.Hub_#0007.
I checked the OpenCPN log file. When it works the log has:

8:15:50 AM: Garmin USB Device Found
8:15:50 AM: GarminUSBDriver Reset skipped, requires elevated privileges on Vista and later....
8:15:50 AM: Successful Garmin USB syncup.

When the hook up fails the log states:

8:36:31 AM: Garmin USB Device Found
8:36:31 AM: GarminUSBDriver Reset skipped, requires elevated privileges on Vista and later....
8:36:31 AM: (usb) CreateFile on '\\?\usb#vid_091e&pid_0003#6&21ab883&0&4#{2c9c45c2-8e7d-4c08-a12d-816bbae722c0}' failed
8:36:31 AM: Couldn't get Garmin USB packet size.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Art
Art Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:09   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Garmin USB GPS Interface

....don't have either, but you said any help! this link thatCFS insists on calling Vista..
Vista
looks useful...
my substitute for real help is: be aware that garmin's usb driver may just be for upload download and not actually a serial port emulator for nmea output.
I have a garmin driver, opencpn finds it-it's listed-, but there's no nmea on it. Try another port, in opencpn's port-choosing dialogue.

Also, confirm with another app that the nmea is available and thereby confirm an opencpn problem, or not...
"Visual GPS" is my present fave for this.

Vista and Garmin are on my "Do Not Frend" list
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 17:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Art...

Thanks for your report.
We have had very little detailed feedback from Garmin USB users. They are a relatively rare beast. And as Happy notes, all Garmin gear is a bit finicky...

What Version of OpenCPN are you using, please?

Also, how often does the failure occur? Can you unplug and re-plug the USB cable and induce success/failure?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:37   #4

Boat: Ted Hood, J. S 116 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Howard View Post
I am new to OpenCPN so maybe others have the answer to this problem. OpenCPN does not always find my Garmin GPSmap 478 on the USB. I looked at the Windows 7 device manager and the Garmin USB GPS device shows up. Looking at the Garmin GPS Properties tells me that "This device is working properly." It also shows the location as Port_#0004.Hub_#0007.
I checked the OpenCPN log file. When it works the log has:

8:15:50 AM: Garmin USB Device Found
8:15:50 AM: GarminUSBDriver Reset skipped, requires elevated privileges on Vista and later....
8:15:50 AM: Successful Garmin USB syncup.

When the hook up fails the log states:

8:36:31 AM: Garmin USB Device Found
8:36:31 AM: GarminUSBDriver Reset skipped, requires elevated privileges on Vista and later....
8:36:31 AM: (usb) CreateFile on '\\?\usb#vid_091e&pid_0003#6&21ab883&0&4#{2c9c45c2-8e7d-4c08-a12d-816bbae722c0}' failed
8:36:31 AM: Couldn't get Garmin USB packet size.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Art

Hi Art Howard,
I run Garmin on my vessel and found the USB port needed to be reconfigured for Version. 2.0 drivers or downgrade to that version. I don't know what your system is but, I would send a message to Garmin support with all the fact's about your systems Hardware and Dates of equipment as well as your current software version of Garmin too. If I am reading this right you use to be able to read and use the data right? So whats changed.. Your running Window's 7 op system and !!!!. So I would think that drivers may have an effect on USB's. Hope this helps you!
Best Regards, Richard

PS: Note what Happy Seagull states too!
TheTeelSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41   #5

Thanks for the replies. When I reboot the laptop I can again access the Garmin. It seems if the laptop is on for awhile and then I load OpenCPN it cannot find the Garmin GPS. It may be that Windows 7 is turning something off but I do not know how to look for this. It does not make any difference if OpenCPN has found or not found the Garmin GPS when I look at the device manager it finds the Garmin GPS and gives the device status as “This device is working properly.” If I restart the laptop all is OK again!

I was using the current version of OpenCPN but upgraded to the Beta version on Thursday, January 31 and found a new bug. The Garmin GPS so far has hooked up successfully but the GPS indicator in the upper right does not show a GPS signal. Go figure?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33   #6

Update:

The Beta Version behaves the same way. If I do not start OpenCPN soon after rebooting the laptop it cannot find the Garmin GPS.

Let me restate this problem. OpenCPN does find the Garmin GPS and reads the Garmin sentence with the lat/long information. I can close OpenCPN and reopen and it again finds the Garmin GPS and reads the lat/long information. If do not start OpenCPN and later decide to start it after a long delay, OpenCPN cannot find the Garmin GPS and does not read the lat/long information. This failure is shown in the log of my first post in this thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39   #7

reaching here again, (no win7 here) but it may be that win7 is putting the usb device to sleep?
So, try unplug and replug the gps instead of restarting the computer. That would be a clue.

If you have a notebook or laptop this is a common problem with usb gps. I'd disable any sleep mode for usb devices.

This link: USB Selective Suspend - Turn On or Off - Windows 7 Forums
Old 01-02-2013, 13:13   #8

I tried unplugging and plugging back in but to no avail.

I also set the Advanced Power Options, USB Settings, USB Selective suspend setting to Disabled. Did not change any symptoms!

It is probably some idiosyncrasy of Windows 7.

The work around at this time is to just reboot the computer and all works OK. Just do not wait to long to start OpenCPN!

Thank you all for your kind help!

Art
Old 01-02-2013, 20:11   #9

Boat: Ted Hood, J. S 116 ft.

Art it sounds like to me the port..USB is shared resources with another device or software drivers. download a program that will allow you to see what's running on your PC at the time it starts working till it stops. I believe it stops when your buffer fills up. on the net find "procexp.exe" and run it and you will see it all. I think this program will run on win7 here's what I found for ya!

www.file.net/process/procexp.exe.html

Hope this help's ya! Richard
TheTeelSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:38   #10

....an idiosyncrasy in Windows? Say it ain't so!
but don't give up.theprocess of elimination will find the crossed wire.

if you can, eliminate OpenCPN as the problem by trying a different gps app.

and, as TheTeelSee says, checkout what's happening behind the curtain.

for Windows 7
"Task Manager displays the programs, processes, and services that are currently running on your computer. You can use Task Manager to monitor your computer’s performance or to close a program that's not responding.

Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking Start Task Manager.
You can also open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc"

Tags
garmin, gps