Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 10:43   #1

Garmin Gnd10 and OpenCPN

Sure hope I've used the search tools correctly but I find no information regarding OpenCPN sharing data via the USB port on a Garmin Gnd10 black box bridge. I can get Nexusrace program to show data from transducers and that works fine. I'd really like to get the OpenCPN program to share n2k data. I can't be the only one trying this can I? I'm using win7 and the BU353S4 usb gps antenna.
Capt Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 08:53   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Garmin Gnd10 and OpenCPN

Opencpn uses Nmea0186 data not N2K. You will need an Artisense converter. Look on opencpn.org Supplimental Hardware for correct one

I believe the globalstar bu353-34 should work. Look under Installaion Gps on the website. Do a seatch.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 12:23   #3

OpenCpn does not deal with N2K at all. In or out. Look at Options / Connections read about it in the User Manual. You should be able to gat bu353-S4 working into Opencpn and also be able to set the Connection to send out for other devives, but you must first close and make it is closed, any program that is currently using the GPS device, because the device is captured.

Read about Garmin, It has garmin mode and serial mode. Its been awhile since I"ve done garmin, sorry.
Old 23-08-2016, 18:54   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. Any help/info is greatly appreciated!
Opencpn and the gps work just fine, no problem there.
The Gnd10 PC connection is USB not n2k or 0183, I'm using a regular USB cable same as for a printer. I can access the Gnd10 with Nexusrace no problem. So what is the difference in communication between Nexusrace and Opencpn through USB?
I also have the Garmin GMI20 which has a plug in the back for 0183 and there is a usb to 0183 converter by actisense.
I'm not new to electronics, I'm new to these particular marine systems. I read the whole opencpn manual, some things just didn't stand out enough. At the moment this is over my head, here is what I assumed: Gnd10 converts nexus FDX, 0183 and n2k to USB. Apparently I still need an interface for my interface. I wonder what the format of data is over the USB then?
If I used the Actisense NGW-1-USB (200bucks) would opencpn have access to all the transducer data on the backbone or through the USB on the Gnd10? I have contacted Garmin Tech support and well I'm sure you know how helpful that was.
I really hope I'm not the only one trying to do this!~
Old 23-08-2016, 23:54   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki

I'm afraid you are mismatching data protocol and transport protocol. These are different things.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 00:36   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

USB is a "transport media", like for example a serial connection or a Ethernet connection.

NMEA2000 (N2K) or NMEA0183 are data protocols. Those define the format and content of the data travelling over the transport media.

Implies that just plugging in an USB device does not assure that the two devices that are connected can communicate with each other.

That's why a gateway or protocol converter is required in your case.
The Actisens for example will translate between NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 data protocols and on the transport level between the CAN-bus of the NMEA2000 network and the serial connection (to make it more tricky: the serial connection is a virtual one, using a USB transport protocol).
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 17:55   #7

Also be very careful odering the Artisense as there are different varieties, one that translates just certain data and another that tries to translate all. Additionally, there may be pgn that are not successfully converted. Note I have not used artisense.
Old 17-09-2016, 07:19   #8

Thanks all. Been learning a lot about this.
An assumption I made that was wrong is the usb port on the gnd10 is for communication with a PC. Not really, it's pretty much only for NexusRace.

The proper actisense protocol converter will connect to the backbone as a device and then to the PC running OpenCPN sharing of data is supposed to be bidrectional. The NMEA0183 port on the backside of the GMI20 is one way, info out only I believe. Our boating season is ending soon and priority on this project is shifted to the next spring. I hope to update the process so it exists somewhere. I could not find anything in regard to this directly.
Thanks again for all your input/help.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:46   #9

GND10 has two NMEA0183 ports. One can probably be connected to a serial port. I am planning to try that.
masterov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, garmin, opencpn