Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 04:14   #1

fullscreen without access to keyboard

hi all,
I have been using openCPN for a while and integrated it via NMEA to to my AIS and Raymarine autopilot and it's really impressive how well everything works. the only thing I was missing was a way to start open CPN in fullscreen mode without having access to a keyboard. I have trolled the forum and found quite a few that are looking for the same, so I created a little virtual basic script that you can use to start openCPN in fullscreen.
You might have to change the path to where the openCPN .exe file is, just right click on the file and select edit, and change the path on the second line between the quotation marks. the value 9000 is in milliseconds, meaning it will wait 9 seconds to fire upp the fullscreen mode, you can adjust it down or up, depending on computer speed. you can also drag and drop the file into the "Startup" folder, in the start menu, and it will open up openCPN everytime you power up your computer.
Due to limitations on the forum, you will have to change the file extension from f11.txt to f11.vbs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt f11.txt (164 Bytes, 83 views)
nsxtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 06:47   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: fullscreen without access to keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtas View Post
hi all,
I have been using openCPN for a while and integrated it via NMEA to to my AIS and Raymarine autopilot and it's really impressive how well everything works. the only thing I was missing was a way to start open CPN in fullscreen mode without having access to a keyboard. I have trolled the forum and found quite a few that are looking for the same, so I created a little virtual basic script that you can use to start openCPN in fullscreen.
You might have to change the path to where the openCPN .exe file is, just right click on the file and select edit, and change the path on the second line between the quotation marks. the value 9000 is in milliseconds, meaning it will wait 9 seconds to fire upp the fullscreen mode, you can adjust it down or up, depending on computer speed. you can also drag and drop the file into the "Startup" folder, in the start menu, and it will open up openCPN everytime you power up your computer.
Due to limitations on the forum, you will have to change the file extension from f11.txt to f11.vbs.
Nice! But shouldn't this be available from a menu? Same for chart status bar.
Old 31-03-2014, 07:39   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

You can simply start OpenCPN with "-fullscreen" comand line switch (but I don't exactly remember when I added it, probably after 3.2 was released)
As for having "everything" available from menu / Toolbox, there are quite a few people constantly complaining that we are adding too much options there, I'm afraid it is not exactly possible to please everybody at the same time...

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 08:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
You can simply start OpenCPN with "-fullscreen" comand line switch (but I don't exactly remember when I added it, probably after 3.2 was released)
As for having "everything" available from menu / Toolbox, there are quite a few people constantly complaining that we are adding too much options there, I'm afraid it is not exactly possible to please everybody at the same time...

Pavel
Aha, sorry I have only used the official 3.0-3.2 releases
Maybe time to install the betas and give them a try :-)
nsxtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 14:59   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post

Pavel
If there were some way to determine which commands, short cuts and function keys were used most often, then I would put the most used in the top menu along with an option called "More". In "More I would put the least used options. Since we really only know what options we (and perhaps a few others) use we would have to guess. If this is a problem for many users here's an example for what I would propose. In Tools>User Interface, I would:
1. Remove the "Show Status Bar" and the "Show tool Bar in Full Screen" and add a "More" button.
2. In the "More" button menu I would put a check box for "Full Screen", "Show Tool Bar in Full Screen", "Hide Map Status Bar", "Hide Status Bar".

Speaking for myself I dont' think the tools menus are too crowded. You don't use them often and usually not under any time pressure. I do believe that we should be careful with right click (context) menus. These may be used while navigating and should be brief and concise.

Tags
screen