Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 08:30   #1

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
File opencpn.conf 'leaks' to 0 byte !

Hello OCPN friends !
I'm using OpenCPN on a RPi3, from OpenPlotter V1.2. in a PiDesktop configuration (with SSD and no SD card).

I repeatedly get the following issue : at startup, when lauching OpenCPN, I have the display of the initial 'warning message'. I hit the cancel button, and look in the /.opencpn directory, I can see the opencpn.conf files has now a size of zero byte !

(If I hit the accept button instead, then quit openCPN, this file will have a size of 5.2 kbytes.

My workaround is the following:

• to backup this file once, immediately after quitting OpenCPN (opencpn.conf.back).
  • When the issue happens (often, ~10% of the launches), I quit OpenCPN,
  • open the directory, kill the opencpn.conf ;
  • and copy/rename opencpn.conf.back to it.
  • lauch again openCPN ;
  • Then I have to force a dabase reconstruction,
  • and then only it works !
The issue uprise randomly, whichever way I used formerly to quit openCPN, whether with a ctrl+Q, or with the 'magic' stop button of my piDesktop...

Nota : the pidesktop includes one SSD and no SD cards, but the issue was the same when launching from an SD card...

Any suggestion ? All help much appreciated !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:45   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: File opencpn.conf 'leaks' to 0 byte !

Didier...
The "not for navigation" warning message is displayed only once when you run a new version of OpenCPN (Which opens the config file and compares it's version with what is stored there). This means your config file was destroyed before you started OpenCPN and the message was shown. The size difference you observe after your two different actions in the warning dialog is caused by the simple fact that when you hit Cancel, OpenCPN shuts down immediately, while OK makes it generate a new default config file.

I would suspect that the reason for the destruction is not shutting down OpenCPN correctly. Which takes us to: What the heck is "the 'magic' stop button of my piDesktop"?

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Is this related to Lennart's effort here - Graceful shutdown?
It sure would be nice to make it work.
Worst case might be, if there is no file, have a prompt to look for the backup to use?
Have several opencpn.ini.bak created like navobj.xml's?
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Worst case might be, if there is no file, have a prompt to look for the backup to use?
OpenCPN handles shutdown signals just fine (SIGHUP, SIGUSR1, SIGTERM, all trigger a correct shutdown, SIGKILL of course does not).

I haven't paid much attention to that text, but wonder if simply
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/opencpn
KillMode=mixed
TimeoutStopSec=3
instead of the helper scripts used in the opencpn.service unit wouldn't do the same or better (https://www.freedesktop.org/software...temd.kill.html)

Pavel
Old 02-03-2019, 15:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Which takes us to: What the heck is "the 'magic' stop button of my piDesktop"?

Pavel

The pidesktop (element14) brings in a missing function in the Raspberry Pi : A short action on this button (connected to the GPIO) closes all running windows and shutdown gracefully the RPi, before switching the power off.

I don't suspect this to be the fault cause as the issue (opencpn.conf to zero byte) did happen before I used the pidesktop. It also happen after quitting OpenCPN and rebooting the Rpi ...

Note the file is not missing, it is empty !
Old 02-03-2019, 15:33   #6

Quote:
Being not an expert, I would answer most probably yes !

Note the file is not missing, it exists with a zero byte count ...
Old 02-03-2019, 15:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
The pidesktop (element14) brings in a missing function in the Raspberry Pi : A short action on this button (connected to the GPIO) closes all running windows and shutdown gracefully the RPi, before switching the power off.

I don't suspect this to be the fault cause as the issue (opencpn.conf to zero byte) did happen before I used the pidesktop. It also happen after quitting OpenCPN and rebooting the Rpi ...

Note the file is not missing, it is empty !

Closes the windows how?
Old 02-03-2019, 17:51   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Have added that to the top.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...le_alternative

Quote:
OpenCPN handles shutdown signals just fine (SIGHUP, SIGUSR1, SIGTERM, all trigger a correct shutdown, SIGKILL of course does not).

I haven't paid much attention to that text, but wonder if simply
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/opencpn
KillMode=mixed
TimeoutStopSec=3
instead of the helper scripts used in the opencpn.service unit wouldn't do the same or better (https://www.freedesktop.org/software...temd.kill.html)

Pavel
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 18:43   #9

Quote:
Rick...

Now that thing finally lost any value it could perhaps have. I will repeat it once again: You can't blindly copy every piece of text you see in the forum to the manual, it has exactly the opposite effect than what you intend to do.
Old 02-03-2019, 20:07   #10
Marine Service Provider

Didier B...
Seems pretty likely that OCPN is being KILLed harshly, and not getting a chance to tidy up the workspace.

Have you looked at the last few line of the logfile when you find the .conf file corrupted?

Something like the listing below is normal. Note the "exiting cleanly" entries. If those are missing, then OCPN was interrupted during shutdown.

Code:
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libwmm_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: chartdldr_pi: DeInit
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/liboesenc_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libdashboard_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libgrib_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libs63_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly.
22:54:14 EST: Chart cache purge
22:54:14 EST: Chart cache PlugIn purge
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libwmm_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/liboesenc_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libdashboard_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libgrib_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libs63_pi.so
22:54:14 EST: Closing NMEA Datastream UDP:0.0.0.0:2947
22:54:14 EST: Chart cache purge
22:54:14 EST: opencpn::MyApp starting exit.
22:54:14 EST: LOGBOOK:  2019-03-03 03:54:14 UTC OFF: Lat   27.66050 Lon  -80.37210
22:54:14 EST: UnLoading Tide/Current data source: /usr/local/share/opencpn/tcdata/HARMONIC.IDX
22:54:14 EST: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 22:16   #11

Quote:
Closes the windows how?
The power control is described here : https://github.com/pi-desktop/pi-des...wer-control.md
Old 02-03-2019, 23:44   #12

Hi Dave,

to answer you, I 1st did some house keeping in the log file (select all, delete, save) ;
Then I re-started the Pi using the on/off buttotn. This launched OpenCPN.

Then after a while playing with OP, new restart using the on/off button, and YES, it happened again. (loss of conf file).

I downloaded the log file and attached to this post.

Remark : .log extension is not allowed on this forum, so I changed the extension to .txt, BUT txt files are limited to 1 kb ! so I changed again the extension to .pdf ! Plse change it back to what you like and read the file with a text editor (like NOTEPAD++) as it contains a number of 'NUL' nonASCII characters - txt readers just cut at this point !

Whatsoever, we can see the session of OP, starting line 3 at 07:39:55, and ending cleanly at line 139 : 07:40:30 CET: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly... (note line 22 : 07:39:57 CET: Config file language: fr_FR)

This corresponds to the graceful stopping via the button of the PiDesktop.
Then appears a quantity of NUL characters (non ASCII), then comes the next session of OP,

note line 161 : 07:42:53 CET: Config file language: en_US, which confirms that the content of the conf file was lost !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn-log.pdf (14.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Hi Dave,

This corresponds to the graceful stopping via the button of the PiDesktop.
Then appears a quantity of NUL characters (non ASCII), then comes the next session of OP,

note line 161 : 07:42:53 CET: Config file language: en_US, which confirms that the content of the conf file was lost !
There's a lot of ascii 0 in this file.
This and the 0 size conf is rather common when the fs isn't properly sync before shutdown.

Even if Wx files functions aren't encouraging best practices for opening, reading and writing files doing it the right way may have bad side effect across all OS.
At least on linux you have to sync the data then sync the directory but on some linux version it's very slow, it syncs the whole disk! Anyway you can't reliably know the actual directory and don't let me start with these TOCTOU races all around the place.

Best would be for your button to properly do its jobs and sync or journals the disk, meta data AND data.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:46   #14

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
There's a lot of ascii 0 in this file.
This and the 0 size conf is rather common when the fs isn't properly sync before shutdown.

Even if Wx files functions aren't encouraging best practices for opening, reading and writing files doing it the right way may have bad side effect across all OS.
At least on linux you have to sync the data then sync the directory but on some linux version it's very slow, it syncs the whole disk! Anyway you can't reliably know the actual directory and don't let me start with these TOCTOU races all around the place.

Best would be for your button to properly do its jobs and sync or journals the disk, meta data AND data.

Perhaps it is a case of timing with your HD.

Use the latest OpenCPN 4.99.1428 and use the latest updates of Raspian and the latest kernel version.

It works here without problems and very fast with OpenGL screen movements. Also with oesenc-pi plugin.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
.../...

I am not sure the button has any responsibility in this issue, as :

1. I have observed the problem before using the pi desktop ;
  2. It upraised again yesterday, though I had formerly halted Opencpn with a CTRL+Q, before shutting down the rpi ...

Tags
enc, leaks, opencpn