Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2023, 05:41   #3376
IOM

Re: Feature Requests

Perhaps I just cant RTFM very well, so if this is the case, please point me to the relevant reading.

Is there a way to step through a grib file, while at the same time having a "boat" marker follow a route at a predetermined set boat speed as set in the route or perhaps even related to polars , in which case the boat speed will change according to the angle to the wind and the wind strength.

The idea is to be able to easier visualize the position of the boat at each point in the grib file.

Thanks guys
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 05:44   #3377

Boat: Phantom 19

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ing/index.html
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 08:13   #3378

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Again, maybe you can do this and I don't know...

Would be nice to have an option to play a sound ("ding!") upon waypoint arrival in a route.
Bruce
Bruce... you could do this in JavaScript.

Hint:
A script has access to the active waypoint GUID. Read it from time to time and when it changes, sound an alert.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 11:14   #3379

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM View Post
Perhaps I just cant RTFM very well, so if this is the case, please point me to the relevant reading.

Is there a way to step through a grib file, while at the same time having a "boat" marker follow a route at a predetermined set boat speed as set in the route or perhaps even related to polars , in which case the boat speed will change according to the angle to the wind and the wind strength.

The idea is to be able to easier visualize the position of the boat at each point in the grib file.

Thanks guys

I brought that up in 2015.... and created a flyspray entry (bug and feature tracker, aka cemetery of good ideas )

There also the weather-routing plugin was mentioned, which is a rather complex solution many users are struggling with. Weather-routing also does not solve simple what-ifs, like "if I slow down a bit, can I avoid the worst rain from that front). weather-routing uses wind/current and boat polars to calculate the fastest route to a destination.

But other inclement weather (rain, CAPE) is not considered. I currently do that type of planning in good old airmail2000, which does have that "set a course and speed" and plot the estimated boat position.

If you want, give that flyspray entry a "vote up".
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=1712
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 12:01   #3380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
Bruce... you could do this in JavaScript.

Hint:
A script has access to the active waypoint GUID. Read it from time to time and when it changes, sound an alert.

Here's a JavaScript for you:
Code:
lastGuid = 0;
check();

function check(){
	activeGuid = OCPNgetActiveWaypointGUID();
	if ((activeGuid != lastGuid) && (lastGuid != 0)) OCPNsoundAlarm();
	lastGuid = activeGuid;
	onSeconds(check, 10);
	}
Old 24-03-2023, 20:52   #3381

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello OpenCPN developers,
(I ask to the manager of this forum to delete this post if it does not comply with the rules, in which case I would just ask if my message could be directed to the right persons)

I am writing this post here as I did not find an alternative way to contact the maintainers of the OpenCPN manual. In the OpenCPN manual there are references to Supplementary Hardware as multiplexers and converters. I design, build and sell multiplexers and I thought a reference to the products would help some OPenCPN users. Here is a link to what I am referring to: https://www.vela-navega.com/index.php/multiplexers

Kind Regards, Luis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 01:22   #3382

Boat: Najad 34

My view..
This is a forum where all kinds of personal thoughts and experiences can be found. Members can post links to different brands of certain devices. If a reference is a result of good/bad personal experiences based on own use or a more or less veiled ad can be hard to detect. Your personal interest in your link is not hidden so I think most can read it as valuable related information.
I can say thanks for the info. Never heard of these devices and it looks good even if SeaTalk1 starting to be less common these day's? Pure N0183 multiplexing and filtering can be handled by OCPN itself in a very good manner. But a device for many serial to one USB can of course be valuable instead of several RS232-USB converters.

A manual/wiki referring to specific brands as example of devices suitable for the discussed purpose can of course be a veiled ad but that would soon be clear for most readers. It's up to each and everyone to judge what's read. As always.
A good example here of often mentioned brands are Acticense and YD for N2k conversion. There are not so much known alternatives so any further info in that matter, veiled ad or not, would be valuable I think.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 00:08   #3383

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
Here's a JavaScript for you:
Code:
lastGuid = 0;
check();

function check(){
    activeGuid = OCPNgetActiveWaypointGUID();
    if ((activeGuid != lastGuid) && (lastGuid != 0)) OCPNsoundAlarm();
    lastGuid = activeGuid;
    onSeconds(check, 10);
    }

Thanks, Antipole. Unfortunately, I haven't coded in many years an don't know where I would put this JavaScript function. But do appreciate your effort! Cheers.
Old 30-03-2023, 00:48   #3384

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Thanks, Antipole. Unfortunately, I haven't coded in many years an don't know where I would put this JavaScript function. But do appreciate your effort! Cheers.
It's very easy. Read the plugin User Guide.

Tony
--------
"If all else fails, read the instructions."
Old 31-03-2023, 03:28   #3385

Boat: Scampi 30-4
Request: Additional influxDB instructions in the manual

I've recently come across a situation where I wanted to direct an i2C sensor's data to influxDB. Unfortunately, this wasn't one which is currently included in the "supported" device dropdown.

Although I was told that eventually it will make the list pending the Developer's ability to pull away from more urgent tasks, I was left with a sensor which seemingly I can't use. Surely there's a way other than through OpenPlotter's interface that one can register any sensor as an influxDB data source (I'm confident that the good search bots at Google will enlighten me).

I think that it would be beneficial for all if Open Plotter's manual could include a paragraph describing the steps necessary to add any sensor.
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 03:52   #3386

Boat: Najad 34

HeviiSail...
First:
This forum is about OpenCPN and not OpenPlotter. See more here
Second:
If you're discussing Signal K you may look here

BTW: There's a rather new plugin in SK for InfluxDB.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 04:25   #3387

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
HeviiSail...
First:
This forum is about OpenCPN and not OpenPlotter.

Whoops; that was a big faux-pas!
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 15:27   #3388

Re: Feature Requests - Date/Time Column in Route and Mark Manager

Hi folks
Request is for a sortable date/time stamp column in the track tab of the "Route & Mark" manager within OpenCPN. I have logged many many tracks going back to 2014 here in the Pacific Northwest (Canadian side mostly) and sorting by name is not at all convenient since I would have to go back over many many trip logs to rename to a naming convention since 2014 to do that (many were pulled from Android Navionics App and converted to GPX files via export function into OpenCPN). A simple sortable date/time stamp column pulled from the tracklog gpx file would make people's lives much easier when trying to organize the many trips I have made over the years. Would be even better if one could have folders to organize by year at the very least. Happy if there is an easy work around but I haven't found one yet....
Thanks
Tim
Navydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 16:18   #3389

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
It's very easy. Read the plugin User Guide.

Tony
--------
"If all else fails, read the instructions."

Wow, Tony. Super cool. I had no idea. I'll try it soon. Thanks!
Bruce
Old 01-04-2023, 22:40   #3390

Re: Feature Requests - Date/Time Column in Route and Mark Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydiver View Post
Hi folks
Request is for a sortable date/time stamp column in the track tab of the "Route & Mark" manager within OpenCPN. I have logged many many tracks [...]. A simple sortable date/time stamp column pulled from the tracklog gpx file would make people's lives much easier when trying to organize the many trips I have made over the years. Would be even better if one could have folders to organize by year at the very least. Happy if there is an easy work around but I haven't found one yet....
Thanks
Tim
So many users have so many different wishes that, if all were included, OpenCPN would become bloated and unmaintainable. So for this type of need, a plugin is the answer. You can do what you want using the JavaScript plugin. As a starter, I offer you a JavaScript below that lists your routes with a start date within a specified period and sorted on that date.

You can modify this to your needs. For example, you could add the start date as a prefix to the route name and then sort in the Route & Mark Manager. Or you could add a prefix of the cruise/region. But heed the warning in the script about not deleting the waypoints in the JavaScript if you are going to update the track in OpenCPN.

Code:
firstDate = new Date("2022-03-25");
lastDate = new Date("2022-08-08");

// get tracks within date range
tracks = [];	// to be array of chosen tracks
guids = OCPNgetTrackGUIDs();
for (t = 0; t <  guids.length; t++){
	track = OCPNgetTrack(guids[t]);
	startDate = new Date(track.waypoints[0].creationDateTime*1000);
	if ((startDate >= firstDate) && (startDate <= lastDate)){
		delete track.waypoints;	// don't need points - free that space
		// NB do not do the above if updating OCPN !!
		track.startDate = startDate;	// add start date to info
		tracks.push(track);    // add to selected tracks
		}
	}

tracks.sort(function(a, b){	// sort on date
		if (b.startDate < a.startDate) return 1;
		if (b.startDate > a.startDate) return -1;
		return 0;
		}
	);

for (t = 0; t < tracks.length; t++){
	print(tracks[t].name, "\n");