Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 00:03   #3181

twa and twd in weather_routing prevision

Hello, First of all thank you for this great project

It would be interesting to have twa and windir in tracks previsons from gribs and also to have in the track prevision settings form a range of twa (ex: twa 140 to 150)

have a good day
te fenua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 03:32   #3182

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: twa and twd in weather_routing prevision

That is available.

Try Tactics_pi or DashboardTactics_pi or SweepPlot
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing:sweep_plot

Read the Plugin Manuals here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...manual:plugins

Read the Tactics thread in CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by te fenua View Post
Hello, First of all thank you for this great project

It would be interesting to have twa and windir in tracks previsons from gribs and also to have in the track prevision settings form a range of twa (ex: twa 140 to 150)

have a good day
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 15:32   #3183

Re: Feature Requests

My request would be to enable OPCPN to run WIN XP SP 2

I am trying to upgrade to rpi 4 with open plotter and opcpn via VNC displaying on my existing chartploter tablets that run on win xp (plenty adequate for the job). This is fine except the screen resolution suffers. I want to run OPCPN directly on these tablets (win XP) thus having redundancy/backup and a better image.

I can not run the latest versions of OPCN because it will not run on Win XP before SP3

There is real good reason NOT to update WIN XP to SP 3, that you may not be aware of. Microsoft embedded "windows genuine advantage" WGA starting with SP3. This sure is an advantage!!! - it tracks every component on your PC by code number. If you change, for example, a hard drive due to failure, your PC is totally toast. With phone or internet activation service (to allow re-installation of OS) no longer available from MS there is no way to salvage your machine. Just the type of problem someone needs when off-shore.

To answer the obvious "why not get a new pc", I spent a lot of time and effort to find a sunlight visable screen and one that can be viewed at a good angle. Drivers are not available for win 7/ win 10 however.
Richard
SV Zolanda
burgoynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 15:46   #3184

Boat: Phantom 19

Sorry, Windows XP is dead. It is dead, completely dead, for 7 years already. Move on.
You are of course welcome to invest all the effort that will be required and build all the dependencies with XP, and much worse XP SP2, support enabled. If you are very lucky and know what you do, you might even succeed. I did make the XP support in OpenCPN possible in it's current state and I can assure you I will not invest a second of my life more into it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 05:31   #3185

Boat: Gemini 3200

Save yourself some heartache and just run an older version of OpenCPN.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 08:19   #3186

Boat: Najad 34

All OCPN versions are still supporting WinXP but only with SP3.
The described SP3 "toast" problem I've never seen. I've switched e.g. cloned hard disks on both XP-SP3 and Win10 wo any trouble.
Although XP is dead from a MS point of view it's still active in many boats. But I do agree we would recommend a switch to W10 whenever possible. The OCPN XP support will probably end in a future. I suppose when our use of wxWidgets is updated to next version.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 14:30   #3187

I 've run win 10 on my home desktop for quite some time, then went back to it after buying a win 7 64bit laptop. I frankly didn't like the "modern" cell phone type stuff and win 7 is plenty fast etc. An OS is simply that, and should dissapear from user's conscienceness in my opinion. Unfortunately MS makes that hard. For my nav PC I have restrained it to no internet or additional programs etc. Win 10 would simply bog it down. I am looking at going with linux mint in conjunction with the RPI upgrade, but I've been having a really hard time getting openplotter to do what I want and make this project work.
The toast issue is indeed real - I lost one of my tablets and spent an enormous amount of time to try and recover it with product key searching software, a bunch of work abouts etc - basically MS has created a bullet proof obsolescence mechanism that is unethical to say the least. The unit ended up for spare parts. I still run 3 units - redundancy.
Richard
Old 28-06-2021, 01:11   #3188

Richard..
We've obviously different experiences by Win10.

For Openplotter and RPi I found these advises handy and straight forward: https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/20...all-guide.html
Option A.
Old 28-06-2021, 12:29   #3189

Hi Hakan:
Thanks for your attachment re openplotter.

I have tried asking for help on the OP forum with no response.

I will read your guide more thoughoughly but on preliminary look it would seem I have done everything "normal"

I remain with 2 issues which are hard to resolve as it may be that my RPI 4 is at fault. I had to re-flash the boot at the sellers advice and only then could get it to run at all.

I am using the headless install using Pi Imager

My issues are:
1. I can not get the configuaration setup for AIS, I2C, signal K etc to "save"
Each time I reboot, the settings are lost and have returned to where they were before going through the setup. I can not see any way to "save" after doing the setup.

2. There does not seem to be any guidance for the SD card partitioning. I have tried setting up partition and removing partition in win 7 prior to flashing openplotter image. I have 3 - 32GB SD cards and tried this several times with each. When the OP image is flashed it seems that the balance of the 32 GB becomes un available ( IE the amount of memory greater than the 4-6 GB used by OP does not show). Initially when I tried installing charts, the installation failed and I have assumed that there was simply not sufficient mem available.

However I have now succeeded in getting a full set of charts onto one SD card. I am not sure how this actually occurred. I not not understand the "overlay" function. Does this remove the boot partion for instance?? It would be really helpfull to understand what to do

Thanks for any help you can give

Richard
SV Zolanda
Old 28-06-2021, 13:19   #3190

Zolanda..
Since I've not used the headless mode I've nothing to add there. I suppose others here may have more experience with that.
The partition part is nothing I've used. I use Raspberry Pi Imager to format and print the img to the card as advised by the pysselilivet "instructions". The method described I've used many times. Also on my RPi4.
It has always worked like a charm so I've not much trouble shooting to share here. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:16   #3191

Would like to raise a request for a "autosave" mode. Ocpn saves routes, navobj.xml , changes in the ini file and maybe other only when user closes the program properly. Specially on raspis this results often and leads to opening in save mode. Would like to have a "quasi close and open facility" with keeping program in memory to avoid lengthy delays and interruption of tracking. Could be either a autosave every x seconds or an external command envoking a file save.
Some use cases are :
- ease of synchronisation between different ocpn instances
- scripts for synchronisation of waypoints with other systems

Please consider - thanks!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:26   #3192

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Skipperearly, this is an excellent suggestion. If you enter it in Flyspray, OpenCPN's bug & feature tracking database, & then tell folks about it, either here or in the Help forum, I'm sure you'll get folks to vote for it.
Old 20-07-2021, 06:28   #3193

Boat: Nicholson 26

Is it possible for OpenCPN to retransmit AIS data over wifi, or bluetooth, to a tablet?
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 06:40   #3194
Marine Service Provider

Yes, no problem if you are connected to the same router/access point locally.
Opencpn can also retransmit AIS date over the internet if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
Is it possible for OpenCPN to retransmit AIS data over wifi, or bluetooth, to a tablet?
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 06:50   #3195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
Yes we use it to do exactly that.

We setup a network connection set it as an output and send to the broadcast address for or subnet on port 10110 select the sentences you are interested in transmitting.

Then tick to enable apply and exit.

Then on your tablet or phone (we use navionics boating app) connect it to the same wifi subnet and setup a connection to teh broadcast address and port 10110 you should get the NMEA sentences.

Essentially we use the boats GPS and AIS data on the tablet so they are in sync.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote