Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 02:10   #1861

Re: Feature Requests

A great feature would be the ability, for OpenCPN and its Dashboard plugin, to read some Mavlink data (e.g. through the incorporation of a small module that translate Mavlink data to NMEA 0183 data), more specifically GPS, magnetic compass and atmospheric pressure.
The new rage of small personal drone has brought many small and cheap autopilot systems that include GPS and sensors (linear and angular acceleration, magnetic, air pressure) and data are fused (compass output is compensated for acceleration and angular velocities ..). Most of these systems can output Mavlink data over USB and can thus be used as a cheap GPS, magnetic compass and barometric pressure sensor in a single unit smaller than a PC mouse.
Beside GPS, magnetic compass and atmospheric pressure, the output of the gyroscopes and accelerometers could be used, for example to record seastate and boat movement response; but then the Dashboard plugin (or NavMonPC, ..…) should be able to read and show the Mavlink values and their history directly because there are no NMEA 0183 equivalents for Mavlink accelerometer and gyro data

Ref: MAVLink Micro Air Vehicle Communication Protocol - QGroundControl GCS

Thanks
P_Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 02:33   #1862

hope for the future!

hello
I want to report a problem with version 4.0.0 from Open CPN:
First of all I want to say that I use Open CPN on an old Car Carrier without Ecdis, so it’s a big ship with long voyages and it’s pretty useful..main are the paper charts but it help us a lot.
So what I notice and I like to report is this:
For example I create a route for one port for arrival (pilot station-berth) and another route for departure (berth-pilot station)
When I load them separately and the route with the waypoints are correct, but when I load them together one of the route take automatically waypoints from another route and appear one on top of another. It’s a big issue for me this problem because waypoints are close but not the same and somehow he is making to be the same. I try in an older version 3.0.2 and looks that not having this problem, everything it’s working as should be. Same issue if I use one waypoint for 2 ore 3 routes, and I modify position for one route, and I save it (export), all other routes will take new position of waypoint instead to remain in old position.
1)I like to give some tips for improvement, for example the dashboard with ETA to show correct ETA with dd/mm/yy and to be possible to set up arrival local time for that area. For example PC time to be GMT and Arrival port of destination to be possible to adjust from +9 to -6 let’s say.
2)Another improvement, to be possible to calculate what speed you need to arrive at a specific time. And to be possible to see time for track line like every 30 min or 60 min. Now it is showing only track an yes if you go to track properties you have all position and time,but you cannot see clearly on chart a specific position.
3)XTE to be seen also on chart not only on small panel and possible to be adjusted for coastal navigation and deep sea navigation. For deep sea you can put like 1NM but for coastal navigation let’s say 02.NM
4)An option to import routes other that .gpx, for example I have a lot of passage planning in exel format and I want an easy way to import in program. Some JRC Ecdis they use .csv files so you can open with exel, modify waypoints and save.
5)I put some marks on chart with some waypoints, some wrecks or some other information and when you change to night mode this waypoint are not visible, they should change color to be visible on black background.
6)We had one voyage from S.Korea To South America and after we pass Japan we go RL so I use only 2 waypoints for a long distance…and I notice that when you make zoom route disappear so I hat to add few more waypoints to be possible to see the route when we make zoom in. And another problem if you have a long distance between 2 waypoint on one route like I did, total distance it’s shorter that same route but with one or two waypoints between, and all calculated on RL. And plug-in “Route” should have option to adjust distance between waypoint by Long. It will make easier to plot on charts.
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:20   #1863

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I did a little testing and did not see " but when I load them together one of the route take automatically waypoints from another route and appear one on top of another. " I tried exporting separately and exporting together and importing together and exporting separately and importing together. I didn't see a failure. You need to give us an example that fails.

However when a shared WP is moved it will move for both routes. I don't remember what happened in 3.3 but you can avoid it by- when making the second route and you click on a shared WP you will be asked "use nearby WP?" simply answer NO.

There are several utilities that will convert csv to gpx. G7toWIN is one but; there are newer ones.
Old 31-10-2015, 07:26   #1864
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: hope for the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_app85 View Post
4)An option to import routes other that .gpx, for example I have a lot of passage planning in exel format and I want an easy way to import in program. Some JRC Ecdis they use .csv files so you can open with exel, modify waypoints and save.
You might give GPSbabel a try.
GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:43   #1865
bcn

Quote:
3)XTE to be seen also on chart not only on small panel and possible to be adjusted for coastal navigation and deep sea navigation. For deep sea you can put like 1NM but for coastal navigation let’s say 02.NM
For this issue the Watchdog plug-in is your friend.
And the author ("boat_alexandra") is very open for suggestions.
Old 31-10-2015, 07:55   #1866
bcn

Quote:
1)I like to give some tips for improvement, for example the dashboard with ETA to show correct ETA with dd/mm/yy and to be possible to set up arrival local time for that area. For example PC time to be GMT and Arrival port of destination to be possible to adjust from +9 to -6 let’s say.
Different time zones for time shown (UTC/local) and time zone at arrival:
please lodge a feature request at the tracker!

Quote:
2)Another improvement, to be possible to calculate what speed you need to arrive at a specific time. And to be possible to see time for track line like every 30 min or 60 min. Now it is showing only track an yes if you go to track properties you have all position and time,but you cannot see clearly on chart a specific position.
These are two requests:
- calculate optimal speed to match planned ETA
- tick marks on tracks. This one is mandatory for ECDIS.

Two more entries for the feature request, please

Your observations are very welcome!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:46   #1867

furuno wireless radar plugin?
jd
devee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:37   #1868

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
What exactly, is the suggestion? ...XTE to be seen also on chart...and possible to be adjusted for coastal navigation .5nm and deep sea 1nm?

Is what we are talking about here actually a runway either side of the route leg?
With an alarm if the boat wanders out of the runway?

Please clarify.

Also please try the plugin Statusbar_pi by Sean. It will allow you to have configurable data at the bottom of the screen (any nmea information recieved). You could add XTE.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:46   #1869

@ dj_app85 RE: Your requests:
  1. Different time zones for time shown (UTC/local) and time zone at arrival.
  2. XTE to be seen also on chart not only on small panel and possible to be adjusted
  3. Calculate optimal speed to match planned ETA
  4. Possible to see time for track line like every 30 min or 60 min.Tick marks on tracks. This one is mandatory for ECDIS.
Please enter these and other requests into Tracker so they are not forgotten.
Tracker is here OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
You first need to register here OpenCPN::Tracker Register new user

Then create your new requests under Opencpn Feature Requests (select from the upper left dropdown). Thank you.
Old 02-11-2015, 17:56   #1870

i post messgane in the wrong place so i will put one more time here...

I want to report a problem with version 4.0.0 from Open CPN:
First of all I want to say that I use Open CPN on an old Car Carrier without Ecdis, so it’s a big ship with long voyages and it’s pretty useful..main are the paper charts but it help us a lot.
So what I notice and I like to report is this:
For example I create a route for one port for arrival (pilot station-berth) and another route for departure (berth-pilot station)
When I load them separately and the route with the waypoints are correct, but when I load them together one of the route take automatically waypoints from another route and appear one on top of another. It’s a big issue for me this problem because waypoints are close but not the same and somehow he is making to be the same. I try in an older version 3.0.2 and looks that not having this problem, everything it’s working as should be. Same issue if I use one waypoint for 2 ore 3 routes, and I modify position for one route, and I save it (export), all other routes will take new position of waypoint instead to remain in old position.
5)I put some marks on chart with some waypoints, some wrecks or some other information and when you change to night mode this waypoint are not visible, they should change color to be visible on black background.
6)We had one voyage from S.Korea To South America and after we pass Japan we go RL so I use only 2 waypoints for a long distance…and I notice that when you make zoom route disappear so I hat to add few more waypoints to be possible to see the route when we make zoom in. And another problem if you have a long distance between 2 waypoint on one route like I did, total distance it’s shorter that same route but with one or two waypoints between, and all calculated on RL. And plug-in “Route” should have option to adjust distance between waypoint by Long. It will make easier to plot on charts.
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:05   #1871

Boat: Dufour 45 Classic

I have not seen if this has been bought up already however I find it trying when using OpenCPN on my Asus and Samsung tablets that I can not immediately see the Lat/Lon of the vessel. I need this information regularly to keep my paper log updated. This information is always readily available on the bottom of the screen in the PC version and I guess I have got used to seeing it there. Am I missing something simple?
TedElixirNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13   #1872

If you wish, you can use Sean's Status_pi to show lat/lon and data at the bottom in larger text.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:15   #1873

Correction: this plugin is not yet availble for android.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:33   #1874

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Feature Requests Radar Plugin

I have one item on my "wish list" for Garmin radar plugin. It would be nice to see a radar-only screen (without the chart) display and include an electronic bearing line (EBL) capability. The "radar-like" AIS display already functional in OCPN would be a great display if radar returns could be added to it. The AIS display already includes an EBL capability.

The rationale for this capability: I really like the AIS "radar like" display, but a "non-AIS" vessel could be "hiding" within the target range and be an unseen collision risk. Also, since "non-AIS" vessels don't provide a CPA feature in OCPN, an EBL capability would provide a good means of collision avoidance. In open water we don't need a chart in the background cluttering up the display when the primary concern is collision avoidance.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07   #1875
bcn

Greg,

the draw-boundary plug-in does provide the EBL functionality (and much more other gooddies)

Hubert