Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 14:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Exporting Tracks and Stitched Charts from OpenCPN

I have a set of tracks saved from a recent trip to the British Virgin Islands. I would like to export the stitched charts (about 1/3 of the tracks are over home made charts imported from google) to a high resolution image in order to print this out all framed and nice.

Obviously I can do screen captures from opencpn, but I want to preserve as much detail as possible while saving the weeks worth of tracks that we collected.

How can I export the stitched charts including the saved tracks?
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 16:07   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Exporting Tracks and Stitched Charts from OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanpeda View Post
I have a set of tracks saved from a recent trip to the British Virgin Islands. I would like to export the stitched charts (about 1/3 of the tracks are over home made charts imported from google) to a high resolution image in order to print this out all framed and nice.

Obviously I can do screen captures from opencpn, but I want to preserve as much detail as possible while saving the weeks worth of tracks that we collected.

How can I export the stitched charts including the saved tracks?
You likely know all this already having built some charts but...well,here it is:It bumps the thread,anyways.
...I don't think you can as a single file with the tracks embedded on the image, except as screencaptures,stitched together OR as lines drawn onto the extracted chart image.Tracks,waypoints,routes are overlays and separate from the actual chart,as the chart software sees them.A "layer" if you like.But you can save/export the tracks and open them or mail them off to anybody you want to see them,say on GE.Lots of formats for this,but gpx exported from OpenCPN is pretty useful as is.. (see GPSBabel for all the options in conversion)You can merge them too and make one long track,in various ways.

However,if you want to DRAW the tracks on the image and then rebuild them as charts,here's some good tools: imgkap,or just use libbsb package.These are command line tools but easy ones.You can extract the images with these draw on it and rebuild it as a kap.
...or maybe just maybe,MapCal_2 in the SeaClear package and Ozi Explorer...sorry,I can't think of anything else.Not something I do except as above...Someone else?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts