Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 07:04   #1

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
Export route to Garmin GPSMap78

I have plotted for the first time my route Port Isabel to Port Aransas on OpenCPN 3.0.0 and wanted then export to my Garmin 78. I couldn't figure it out and had to export manually al Waypoints and make up the route. OpenCPN is a very good Navhelp and I didn' t ran aground on the ICW, but it takes a lot of time to do manually.
By the way, I installed at my other comp 3.2.0, I connected the BU 353 and the comp froze and came up OpenCPN in blue, no charts and had to uninstall. Is 3.2.0 already stable?
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:47   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Export route to Garmin GPSMap78

Serenity,
If you can upload Way Points then all you need is:
Go to Options>Connections and check "Use Garmin Host Mode for uploads"

Make sure that the Garmin is in Garmin mode not NMEA.

I think there have been problems reported for the BU 353. Search the forum.

Also there is a very good manual found under the "About OpenCPN" menu.
Old 18-04-2013, 14:41   #3

Hello David
Thank you for your help! I have already read the USER Manual and what I find in all these manuals and OpenCPN is included, the proper developer start using other Commando denominations than used in the software. So, when I look for a denomination Host and it comes changed into Connection or something like, ME, I am lost since I am no computer developer nor anything else than a simple user.
I have the same issues with the Garmin User Manual, which says some command and they use some other terminology for. I could freak out!
But letīs get this done. I do change the options into
GPS...NMEA Datasource....GARMIN, GPSD Dataserver.....localhost, NMEA Baudrate....4800, Host Modus to use.... GARMIN
In the Garmin I use the Interface..... GARMIN
I become the answer from the system.... check the Log Datas???????

I am lost, I have no clue what the Log Datas are?????? Can you help me to get thru this and do this with patience, I may be slow in this.....

Tks and.... sailing should not be so hard as computing....
Old 18-04-2013, 16:28   #4

Serenity,

Be calm. (That's a joke)

I don't have a Garmin that connects thru USB ports, so I don't really know what it should look like.

1. Can you upload Way Points to the Garmin using OpenCPN?
2. You cannot upload routes to the Garmin, Correct?
3. You are using OpenCPN, correct?

Now comes the hard part,
A. Go to the Options screen,
B.then the Connections screen,
C. then right click on the Garmin connection,
D. Press "Print Screen" On my computer it's above the function keys, if you can't find it check your manual or Google for your computer model and Print Screen
E. Print Screen loads the "copy buffer" with a picture of your screen
F. you can then Paste it in a Word document (type CTRL and V simultaneously)
G. Attach the Word document to your reply.

Hopefully I, or someone else will see what the problem is
Old 18-04-2013, 18:18   #5

Boat: 29'

Idea:
reading this,
Garmin GPSMAP 78s review - GPS Tracklog where I read this: .".. If I head out for a trail I’ve never traveled before, I do a search online for tracks (favorite search terms are .gpx, gps, trail name, and park name) and load the track to the device."
so,...I believe the Map78 can use "gpx" files. ... sooo,EXPORT your route from OpenCPN (read manual-real easy-it will be a gpx file) and then copy it =upload it=IMPORT it, into your Garmin whichever.

".... load the track to the device." should be easy, but Garmin has a way of obfuscating simple things (to maintain control over their customers?or because they don't know how to use their own hardware...)It will need some research on your part...there's Tons of real help out there on Garmins, if you can sort through it.
... You might be convinced you need to use Garmin's app named "Basecamp" or the older "Mapsource" to (ahem) garminize it for upload to the gps. They are free, at least.

or, it even might be as simple as creating a folder on the '78's memory card named ".gpx" and copying the routes you exported from Opencpn in it before turning on the gps. This'd be the answer to look for.

... I'm not certain that OpenCPN's direct communication method will work via usb to Garmins, but it does for some older DB9 type serial port-connected ones
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:40   #6

Hi David
Actually I am calm, but the Sea is not... I will respond you point for point:
- No, I cannot upload waypoints into my Garmin. I do enter the waypoints manually by Latitude & Longitude. It has been a long way and I would love to do everything electronically.
- Neither I can upload routes to the Garmin. The Garmin does not comunicate at all with the computer.
- I do plot in OpenCPN, set the waypoints in the route, do all the plotting and when done, I write all the waypoints out, Lat & Long and set the waypoints manually at the Garmin GpsMap78 and finally I connect them into a route (a hell of a job, it takes hours).

I have tried to make an upload of the Wordfile and I get a response "Sending request to Cruisersforum" and I donīt gert any response out of it. It looks like this is not going to go anywhere mso I will find a way to do my plotting in Garmin directly and forget this project OpenCPN. To me I am finding to many problems in the last few days and I want to go sailing, not to Master in some Software Project. Many thanks for your help David, but this is hilarious....
Old 19-04-2013, 06:44   #7

Serenity,

Let's try one last time.

Happy Seagull brings up a good point. In 3.2 you can upload 1 Way Point(or route) at a time so I use Mapsource to upload WP and groups of routes. OpenCPN saves WP and routes in GPX format and Mapsource can read GPX format.

You may have gotten a disc (with the Garmin 78) with Mapsource or Base Camp. Try to get the 78 to work with one of these. If you have problems, you can get help from Garmin Tech Support. I suspect that the USB devices may require a driver. If so it would be on the disc that came with the 78; if not it can be downloaded from Garmin.

Once you can communicate with Mapsource or BaseCamp, open the GPX file created in OpenCPN in one of the two utilities (I use Mapsource) and upload to the 78.
Old 19-04-2013, 07:25   #8

Hello David
What is going on in this issue is not surprising to me! If somebody has asked for the bad luck then its me.
I bought the Garmin GpsMap78 in Amazon at a good price. But maybe because of that I got no CD/DVD with it. It just came with the USB Adapter and not even a Product Manual. This one I found on the Internet and Iīm figuring out the product step by step and with help of friends, since the manual is not precise either. So, nowhere it explained, I had to register the product and update the product, so I would get the software installed to programm routes. Finally, after 3 weeks I did the Product update and - o miracle - there it was!
Finally now, I registered the product, since I do not like to do that because I donīt want my E-Mail overflown with Spam while I am underway.
Back to the theme, I have no product CD! I asked Garmin already twice for help at the product support and after 2 weeks I have still no answer.
I tried now to get the Mapsource, but the download version works only when having a previous version which I donīt since I have no CD.

All that maybe a reason why I hate companies with updating system, softwares to update and all that stuff. If to someone something happens, it has to be me and this is why I hate all that electronical stuff....

Thanks again for your patience and help, I donīt know if I am going somewhere with this issue? At least at this poiint I have the USB-Communicator from Garmin downloaded, lets see if the OpenCPN now comunicates with the Garmin unit.... Iīl let you now....
Old 19-04-2013, 07:35   #9

Well,m this was my last attempt! It looks like Garmin is smarter then the Guys from OpenCPN and has locked the door for them. I would suggest to the developers, not to include the upload for Garmin in a way, that people would think they can actually upload. The instructions should be, a upload to Garmin devices can be done but not over the serial Interface but only by manual installation of additional software not provided by OpenCPN and only by Garmin. This means to users of Garmin GPSīs asdditional cost to the unit (choice of Garmin Management in order to exploit their customers). This wise, the people become aware since I find OpenCPN a good instrument for my navigation, I love to sit and plot my route, I do even some windplanning, which would be one of my suggestions to include an option
- I do have a compass a friend gave me, that shows the sailposition according to winddirection
- as I plan with the winddirection from the weather report (Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather), I even make notes (nothing definitive) how would be the sailposition (port/starboard) according the route I am going in the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway)

As you know the ICW is very narrow and shallow and I try to be prepared for the gates and locks and not have to tack or something at last second. So, that would be a hell of a help at OpenCPN.....

Thanks for your help again and enjoy your day.... hopefully with better weather than I have (waiting for the Northern to pass....)
Old 19-04-2013, 10:23   #10

Serenity,

If you download BaseCamp (and install) first then you can install Mapsource

Good Luck
Old 19-04-2013, 13:42   #11

Thanks David will try do....
Old 19-04-2013, 14:40   #12

David
Do you know how works GPSBABEL? I got the software and I donīt know how it does work. I am downloading now Mapsource in order to see what happens.
Old 19-04-2013, 14:53   #13

Again hello David
It worked with the download of Basecamp and Mapsource. I will take a chance to review the programs and learn them how to handle....many thanks, I didnīt thought I would get this one.....

Tags
garmin, route