Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 05:04   #1

Export ENC_ROOT from OpenCPN

Hello, i have chart in SENC format (*.s57) which i can open in OpenCPN and i would like export that chart in s57 format (*.000) from OpenCPN for editing in ArcGIS Map or other software where can edit ENC. How i can do this? May be exist plugin for export charts from OpenCPN?
ilyaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Export ENC_ROOT from OpenCPN

You have ever worked before with a computer?
Each computer operating system has a file manager to copy, delete or move files. So simply copy the file (*.000) where you want.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:23   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

What is the source of your .S57 SENC? OpenCPN creates SENC .S57 charts from ENC .00x charts either on the fly or when you use the "prepare all ENC charts" button in the chart manager. So, you should already have the .00x file in the Charts directory (rather than than the .opencpn directory where the .S57 files are found). If you received the .S57 from someone else then you may have to go back to them for the source chart files. I don't know of a "reverse SENC" decoder for OpenCPN, but someone else may.

Give us a few more details about the chart and we may be able to assist a bit, then we can extend to the general case.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
What is the source of your .S57 SENC? OpenCPN creates SENC .S57 charts from ENC .00x charts either on the fly or when you use the "prepare all ENC charts" button in the chart manager. So, you should already have the .00x file in the Charts directory (rather than than the .opencpn directory where the .S57 files are found). If you received the .S57 from someone else then you may have to go back to them for the source chart files. I don't know of a "reverse SENC" decoder for OpenCPN, but someone else may.

Give us a few more details about the chart and we may be able to assist a bit, then we can extend to the general case.
File extension *.S57, OpenCPN also can load that file extension.

I dont have *.000 files, only *.S57

Any idea how i can get method for reverse SENC ?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:53   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yes, but any .S57 chart that can be opened in OpenCPN was created in OpenCPN. SENC is particular to each ECDIS program, they are created from standard ENC charts to reduce display times, decrease memory use, or any number of other reasons (OpenCPN SENCs are optimized for faster display at runtime). So the question still remains, what is the source of the .S57, as it should have been created from ENC by/for OpenCPN?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Yes, but any .S57 chart that can be opened in OpenCPN was created in OpenCPN. SENC is particular to each ECDIS program, they are created from standard ENC charts to reduce display times, decrease memory use, or any number of other reasons (OpenCPN SENCs are optimized for faster display at runtime). So the question still remains, what is the source of the .S57, as it should have been created from ENC by/for OpenCPN?
I dont know what is that source, i only have files. OpenCPN open source software, and probably possible write some plugin for reverse SENC via OpenCPN?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:13   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

For which chart region are the charts? USxxxxxx?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:17   #8

Boat: Hurley

What do you want to do with the charts? Edit them and then use them again as ENCs in OpenCPN?
In that case you should also consider how to generate those ENCs again after editing. That is probably more difficult (or expensive) than generating a format usable in ArcGIS or QGIS. I have not found a straight-forward or free way to do that.

In the case you just want to use the ENCs as a background map in another application you should check out conversion using GDAL. This post (link) illustrates the usage of it for soundings, but if you leave out the trailing 'SOUNDG' it just converts most of the other ENC features. See GDAL S-57 for more info.

I don't know in what degree the OpenCPN SENCs are supported (probably not), but if your source charts (the files you added in the charts tab) are also in s57 they probably are.
Baksteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baksteen View Post
What do you want to do with the charts? Edit them and then use them again as ENCs in OpenCPN?
In that case you should also consider how to generate those ENCs again after editing. That is probably more difficult (or expensive) than generating a format usable in ArcGIS or QGIS. I have not found a straight-forward or free way to do that.

In the case you just want to use the ENCs as a background map in another application you should check out conversion using GDAL. This post (link) illustrates the usage of it for soundings, but if you leave out the trailing 'SOUNDG' it just converts most of the other ENC features. See GDAL S-57 for more info.

I don't know in what degree the OpenCPN SENCs are supported (probably not), but if your source charts (the files you added in the charts tab) are also in s57 they probably are.
Thanks a lot for advice, i hope that GDAL will load these charts. I want exports all data(depth and other objects) from these charts in text format like geojson. ArcGIS Map have plugin S-57 viewer which can open *.000 charts.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
For which chart region are the charts? USxxxxxx?
nope, not US charts.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16   #11

Quote:

Unfortunately FAILURE(
Quote:
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `CELL01.S57' with the following drivers.
Old 10-06-2020, 23:04   #12

Where did you download your charts?

Have you paid for the charts?

What charts have you tried to convert now, the originally downloaded files, or went deep into the file structure and exported the OpenCPN System ENCs?
Old 10-06-2020, 23:28   #13

Quote:
Where did you download your charts?

Have you paid for the charts?

What charts have you tried to convert now, the originally downloaded files, or went deep into the file structure and exported the OpenCPN System ENCs?
I found old files in local network, also i have bathymetric data for diffrent part of map so i want add new data and change old for create new map. Charts which i have not official. I tried convert "OpenCPN System ENCs".
Old 11-06-2020, 06:29   #14

Aha, then it makes sense GDAL cannot open your files. SENCs are an intermediate format which makes the rendering of the information easier for OpenCPN. They are probably no S-57 at all (at least not perfect), but I don't know the specifics either.

Probably the easiest way for also displaying the bathymetric data is generating a supplementary raster chart of the coverage, or export selected soundings/depth contours as a Layer.
You are making it yourself awfully difficult by trying to incorporate it in the original ENCs.... Just extracting data from those is only the first obstacle you will encounter..

Tags
enc, opencpn