Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2020, 14:00   #46

Re: ENC vs RNC and no more RNC

NOAA had a webinar last week dealing with some of this stuff.

They have posted the slides here, its worth taking a gander.

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/about/nav-cast.html
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 14:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Coquina...

And will you share your nicer ENC template, or screenshot of the settings page? Perhaps it will find its way into the next release as default....

Dave
Sure. No problem, I will do that soon with a warning that this is only tested by me in one area with one kind of chart.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 15:42   #48
Marine Service Provider

Gypsyjon...

Thanks for the link to the NOAA presentation.
On review, I find that the descriptions of the various ENC display options are consistent with current OpenCPN ENC rendering practices. And both are derived from internationally recognized S52 standards as implemented by type-approved ECDIS systems.

I suggest that users should begin to make themselves comfortable with the concepts of display control for ENCs, especially the specific terminology used. It is a new world coming, and it will pay to be ready.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 04:44   #49

Boat: Valiant 42

For those wondering what we are talking about here is side by side ENC and RNC (mbTiles) off the cost of San Francisco. This is a screen shot of Raspberry Pi running a voyage simulation created by fellow CFer Paul Elliot. Resolution was lost due to CF requiring JPGs to be really small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-21 063830.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	207336  
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 18:44   #50

Boat: Norseman 447

I think that this is a good-News-bad-News story. NOAA gets to keep all of their data in a single format. That’s good for consistency and update frequency. You get to (or have to) customize your own charts. If you do it poorly, then you’ll have a lousy chart. The good news is that they realize that they’ll need a lot more small-scale chart data. The bad news is that’s likely to take a long time and may never happen for some small bay in Mexico.

So don’t throw away your 1938 Admiralty chart of Bahia Tenacatita. Or your 1976 charts of the Perlas Islands.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 04:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Coquina...

And will you share your nicer ENC template, or screenshot of the settings page? Perhaps it will find its way into the next release as default....

Dave
WARNING - This is still early days and I like it for NOAA ENC charts in my area. Use at own risk as a starting point!
* I use the Vector Chart Zoom at +5. At the default zoom level of 0, you have markers and other details vanishing at certain zoom levels when they were present zoomed more out and more in.
http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/te...pntemplate.zip
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 17:05   #52

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
The bad news is that’s likely to take a long time and may never happen for some small bay in Mexico.

So don’t throw away your 1938 Admiralty chart of Bahia Tenacatita. Or your 1976 charts of the Perlas Islands.
Huh? NOAA isn't responsible for charts in Mexico. And why would one use a 1938 Admiralty chart when Mexico's hydrographic office (SEMAR) has a detailed (1:15000), reasonably up-to-date, chart of Tenacatita (#S.M. 432.2, January, 2015)

See: https://digaohm.semar.gob.mx/hidrogr...sNauticas.html
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 17:27   #53

I’m sorry that you took my post more literally than I really meant it. Most of the new Mexican charts have been released in th ten years since I traveled south, so I’m hardly current on what’s available. My point, which I obviously failed to make clearly , is that raster charts are on their way out because the various publishing agencies won’t want to produce two separate types of charts. Even if you’ll be able to buy a paper chart, it will just be rendered from the same Geographic Data Base (more or less) than what’s plotted on your cellphone. The days of the hand-curated chart, with all the extra information that was once considered useful is over. If you think the old charts are useful, you’d better keep them.

The comment about Tenacatita Bay was because the last time I was there, there was a huge discussion amongst about 50 boats about whether there WAS or WAS NOT something about half way between Roca Centro and Punta Caballo(?). None of the 20 different sources agreed. What’s the answer on the latest chart?
Old 18-09-2020, 17:49   #54

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
I’m sorry that you took my post more literally than I really meant it. Most of the new Mexican charts have been released in th ten years since I traveled south, so I’m hardly current on what’s available. My point, which I obviously failed to make clearly , is that raster charts are on their way out because the various publishing agencies won’t want to produce two separate types of charts. Even if you’ll be able to buy a paper chart, it will just be rendered from the same Geographic Data Base (more or less) than what’s plotted on your cellphone. The days of the hand-curated chart, with all the extra information that was once considered useful is over. If you think the old charts are useful, you’d better keep them.

The comment about Tenacatita Bay was because the last time I was there, there was a huge discussion amongst about 50 boats about whether there WAS or WAS NOT something about half way between Roca Centro and Punta Caballo(?). None of the 20 different sources agreed. What’s the answer on the latest chart?
I don't have my Mexico charts... but I do not think the "Charlies Charts" rock between Chubasco and Roca Centro has been formally identified. Haven't been to Tenacatita myself, so no personal experience.

Sorry for my response. It's just that while in Mexico I had heard SO many cruiser make incorrect statement that all Mexico charts are old, not updated, produced in the 1800s, etc etc. I'd ask them "how then are there detailed charts for, say, Cabo San Lucas" etc harbours, harbours which didn't exist in the" early" days....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 19:15   #55

We couldn’t find the Charlie’s charts rock either. But several of the “real” charts from varying respectable sources and widely different ages showed “something” there from a submerged rock to a rock awash and everything in between.We looked, from boats, dinghies and scuba diving. We found nothing. But I always went on the east side of Roca Centrio.
Old 18-09-2020, 22:14   #56

Boat: Outremer 50S

It’s starting. Here’s a note from NOAA about the GIWW bypass near New Orleans. ENCs will be fully updated with new soundings and information. Raster products will be updated with the new bouys/marks but will not be updated with the most recent sounding information - that will only be available on the ENCs.

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...stal-waterway/
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc