Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 07:38   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Editing routes

I am unable to edit routes as I need to.

(1) I want to insert an existing waypoint into a route.
If I use the Insert waypoint function it creates a new waypoint, which is not what I want. If I append a waypoint to the end of the route and choose a point close to an existing waypoint, it gives me the option to use that nearby waypoint - great. But I cannot use this in the middle of the route.

(2) Changing the order of waypoints in a route
I have not found any way of changing the order of waypoints, other than reversing the entire route. Dragging the waypoints up or down in the Route properties would be ideal.

The manual talks about splitting and appending, and I wondered whether I needed to split the route, append the waypoint to be inserted and then rejoin them. But that does not look possible and would be very tedious.

Apologies if this is obvious and I am missing something. But help for a relative newbie would be much appreciated.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:44   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 32
Re: Editing routes

do you think it might be helpful if you just happen to mention what software/hardware you are using? Try reading your post before you hit send, to reduce the changes of making stupid, time-wasting mistakes like this.
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldersalt1944 View Post
do you think it might be helpful if you just happen to mention what software/hardware you are using? Try reading your post before you hit send, to reduce the changes of making stupid, time-wasting mistakes like this.
Oldersalt
Apologies @oldersalt1944t... but as I said I am a relative newbie here, so a little leeway would be appreciated.

Using OpenCPN v5.0.1 on a Mac OS v10.16.3
Old 12-02-2020, 08:59   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Be careful using OpenCPN 5.0.1, it has still several bugs. Better use the old version 4.8.8:
http://opencpn.navnux.org/4.8.8/OpenCPN_4.8.8.dmg

This version is more stable and comes with an up-to-date offline help.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 18:30   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200

Even version 4.8.8 doesn't allow you to insert an existing waypoint into a route. The best workaround may be for you to manually edit the GPX file. That's fine if you just want to update an occasional route with a new waypoint, but if you have a lot of routes to modify it will be a major effort.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:55   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I agree this is a weakness with route management. It should be easier to insert an existing waypoint into a route. A route editor, allowing the user to change the waypoints arranged as a table, rather than on the chart, would be helpful. Sort of like the existing route "properties" window, but allow moving and inserting, not just deleting or splitting.

Probably the easiest workaround is to export to GPX, then use another application which handles this sort of thing better. Or, as I do, just edit the GPX file in a text editor.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:33   #7
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I agree this is a weakness with route management. It should be easier to insert an existing waypoint into a route. A route editor, allowing the user to change the waypoints arranged as a table, rather than on the chart, would be helpful. Sort of like the existing route "properties" window, but allow moving and inserting, not just deleting or splitting.

Probably the easiest workaround is to export to GPX, then use another application which handles this sort of thing better. Or, as I do, just edit the GPX file in a text editor.
You can insert an existing waypoint graphically by inserting a waypoint into your route and dragging it over the existing waypoint. The dialogue will pop up asking whether to use the existing WP..
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 02:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
You can insert an existing waypoint graphically by inserting a waypoint into your route and dragging it over the existing waypoint. The dialogue will pop up asking whether to use the existing WP..
That would be nice but it does not work for me (OpenCPN v5.0.1 on Mac v10.15.3).

Append waypoint shows the pencil cursor and allows you to choose where to place it and, if you click close to an existing WP, it offers the choice of using that waypoint. Nice!

But if you use Insert Waypoint it inserts it at the point where the cursor is (which will be on the existing route). You can then drag it where you want it. However, if you drag it on top of an existing waypoint, it does not invite you to use that waypoint - at least for me.

The two mechanisms are different - append using the pencil and insert creates a WP immediately.
Old 14-02-2020, 06:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
That would be nice but it does not work for me (OpenCPN v5.0.1 on Mac v10.15.3).

Append waypoint shows the pencil cursor and allows you to choose where to place it and, if you click close to an existing WP, it offers the choice of using that waypoint. Nice!

But if you use Insert Waypoint it inserts it at the point where the cursor is (which will be on the existing route). You can then drag it where you want it. However, if you drag it on top of an existing waypoint, it does not invite you to use that waypoint - at least for me.
Same exact results here. OpenCPN 5.0.0+9065270 (latest version) on Windows 7.
Old 15-02-2020, 17:20   #10
Moo

Yep, it doesn't work... Thought it did; sorry. It only works when building a new route or extending.

Not sure if this a design feature or a bug. I suggest those of you who need this enter a feature request.

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 03:56   #11

I have added an enhancement request on Flyspray here. Invite you to support it.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
I have added an enhancement request on Flyspray here. Invite you to support it.
Done. Thank you!! It was well worth the minimal effort of signing up at flyspray to promote this change.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:43   #13

I support the idea to make it possible to insert existing waypionts in a route.

And furthermore to make it possible to merge co-located waypoints.
ebonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:44   #14

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Split a route, by right click. author Ptizef. coming in the next version.
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/2211
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 00:25   #15

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Split a route, by right click. author Ptizef. coming in the next version.
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/2211

Are you suggesting this might be a work around?

You break (split) the route where you want to include the exiting WP, Append half the route with the WP, then join the 2 halves back together.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route