Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 19:07   #1

Duplicate WP upload

Not so much a bug but a warning.

I found that when I created a route and included some WP's already on the chart I ended up with a route that contained two 006 and two 010 WP's I should have noticed but I didn't. When I uploaded to the GPS the last 006 and the last 010 overwrote the previous ones. An easy mistake.

Is there anyway a check could be made to warn users of duplicate WP names within a route?

Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 04:46   #2

Re: Duplicate WP upload

Tupaia...
There is no way to know what waypoints already exist in your GPS, so we can hardly implement something that will always work with all GPS units regardless of how stupid their firmware is. The best that could be done to limit the impact on this type of stuff would be to check for such stuff in one single upload. Not too complicated to do, so if you file an issue on github for it or a flyspray feature request, it could be implemented by someone.

Pavel

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Tupaia...
There is no way to know what waypoints already exist in your GPS, so we can hardly implement something that will always work with all GPS units regardless of how stupid their firmware is.
Pavel
Perhaps not explained properly If there is and existing route and or wp's on OCPN Chart then when adding a new route it asks if you would like to use the existing wp. If the wp names/numbers are the same you end up with a route with duplicate wp names/numbers. If you upload these to a GPS only the last wp duplicate is upoaded the first one being overwritten in the same operation.
Old 30-04-2018, 09:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Perhaps not explained properly If there is and existing route and or wp's on OCPN Chart then when adding a new route it asks if you would like to use the existing wp. If the wp names/numbers are the same you end up with a route with duplicate wp names/numbers. If you upload these to a GPS only the last wp duplicate is upoaded the first one being overwritten in the same operation.
This part I did understand. What about the situation when you already have a route in your GPS which contains a waypoint with the same name though? Problem? Not a problem? Not tested?
The situation where you for some reason have two equally named waypoints in the same route you are trying to upload can be solved. The other can't.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:21   #5

Quote:
This part I did understand. What about the situation when you already have a route in your GPS which contains a waypoint with the same name though? Problem? Not a problem? Not tested?
Agreed. For this reason I tend to have only one route on my GPS at any one time. I save (export) planning routes on OCPN and retrieve and upload them as required having deleted or cleared all wp on the GPS first.

Quote:
The situation where you for some reason have two equally named waypoints in the same route you are trying to upload can be solved. The other can't.
This is the situation that can cause problems. Even if you do not upload them to a GPS a route that contains duplicate WP names is at the very least confusing. This can occur unintentionally when you include part of a previous route or say yes to the prompt "use nearby wp" when creating a route.

A simple check to warn the user that duplicate names exist, either during creation of a route or when exporting to Save or to GPS would be all that is required.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Agreed. For this reason I tend to have only one route on my GPS at any one time. I save (export) planning routes on OCPN and retrieve and upload them as required having deleted or cleared all wp on the GPS first.

This is the situation that can cause problems. Even if you do not upload them to a GPS a route that contains duplicate WP names is at the very least confusing. This can occur unintentionally when you include part of a previous route or say yes to the prompt "use nearby wp" when creating a route.

A simple check to warn the user that duplicate names exist, either during creation of a route or when exporting to Save or to GPS would be all that is required.
The problem here is that this is the situation that causes problem to your particular use case, due to the limitation of your GPS equipment, there are use cases where many equally named waypoints may and do exist and using them in a route is absolutely no problem at all. So this IMO discards the viability of nagging the user on route creation. Offering an option to autorename the waypoints in case you upload the route to a GPS with a known broken implementation as yours sure is an option and as already mentioned, if recorded in our issue trackers, someone, probably me when I pass around the upload logic again during the O5 development cycle, may implement it.

Pavel
Old 01-05-2018, 07:18   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Tupiai, Pavel has made a good suggestion, make a Feature Request in Tracker (see top bar here https://opencpn.org/ ) and Vote for it. Get your friends to vote too.

You will have to register and then Add a Task under the "Feature Requests" (dropdown on the right) Make a full description of the problem and what you would like to occur.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37   #8

I think the ability to do an auto rename of the wp's in a route, perhaps within the route properties, is an elegant solution that would benefit in other ways not just the issue that I had identified.

eg. when wp's are inserted into route they currently have different naming convention and are non sequential. Similarly when wp's are deleted being able to resequence the remaining ones.

I think would be excellent.

I have added a tracker item. FS#2376

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 21:53   #9

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

There is a way to re-sequence the waypoint names, although it's a little obscure. If you reverse the route, you get the option to rename the waypoints 001, 002, 003 etc. If you reverse twice you get the waypoints renamed in numerical sequence.

I have Furuno GPS's and fortunately, they automatically clear all waypoints in the GPS when you initiate an upload. Unfortunately, the Furuno sequences the route based on the waypoint names. If you insert a waypoint when you are creating a route you end up with a waypoint name that doesn't follow the sequence and the Furuno sequences the route incorrectly.

To get around this, I always reverse the route twice and tell it to rename the waypoints.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
There is a way to re-sequence the waypoint names, although it's a little obscure. If you reverse the route, you get the option to rename the waypoints 001, 002, 003 etc. If you reverse twice you get the waypoints renamed in numerical sequence.

I have Furuno GPS's and fortunately, they automatically clear all waypoints in the GPS when you initiate an upload. Unfortunately, the Furuno sequences the route based on the waypoint names. If you insert a waypoint when you are creating a route you end up with a waypoint name that doesn't follow the sequence and the Furuno sequences the route incorrectly.

To get around this, I always reverse the route twice and tell it to rename the waypoints.
Thanks for the info. I will use this from now on.
I will also dd a comment to the Tracker Item.
Old 05-05-2018, 17:44   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Clever technique.

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa