Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 11:38   #1

Boat: Cape George 36' Cutter
Drain wire question

We are running OpenCPN 4.4 on my Dell Laptop with the BR24 Radar 2.1 pluggin. We are trying to connect our Simrad 4G Radar to the laptop via the RI10 radar interface. We have it up and running. Thank you. Now we are trying to do some wire management. Using the Simrad cable #14077796 which has the yellow 5 pin network connector on the RI10 end and a yellow 5 pin connector on the other end which would go to a Simrad display for a Simrad set up. We have cut off the end that would connect to the Simrad display. We want to connect this end to a male eithernet jack. The cable has a blue, blue/white, orange, orange/white and a drain wire. We have the Simrad manual with the pinouts. The question becomes what do we do with the drain wire? We are connection the eithernet jack to a Tripp Lite 7 port hub #U360-007-IND via an eithernet to USB 3.0 adapter. Thanks in advance. We are learning and loving OpenCPN.

Jim and Shelley Armstrong
James_Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:54   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Drain wire question

James...
Your blue-blue/white-orange-orange/white would go into the RJ45 (Ethernet) as of the manual. Black-Red-Yellow to power supply and the "drain" would be the cable shield and it would be connected to ground/power zero(-) on one cable end only. The shield has nothing to do with radar function but is a disturbance shield from surrounding (radio) signals.
But - the "normal" way to share data(Ethernet) signals between different gadgets is by a network switch, (For example on a router) not by parallel cable connections. And what's your plan for the USB connection to the Ethernet cable? Or I may have misunderstood your question?
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:13   #3

Håkan,
The cable that we are talking about is not the cable to the scanner, but the 5 pin eithernet cable from the RI10 to the display. Here is the Installation Guide. http://www.bandg.com/Documents/produ...epslanguage=de
See pages 11, 12, 13 and 15. On page 15 you will see cable #5. That is the cable in question. Cable 5 has a 5 pin at the radar interface. We are installing an RJ45 connector which will land in our eithernet to usb adapter which will be connected to the Tripp Lite 7 port network switch #U360-007-IND which does not have an eithernet port, only usb ports.
As to the drain wire, it lands on a pin in the 5 pin connector. Per your reply to our question, do I understand correctly that the drain wire is to be connected at the radar interface only as this would be one end only?
Thank you for your quick reply, we appreciate your help.
Jim and Shelley
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28   #4

Jim....
Yes if the "drain" wire is the cable shield it shall not be connected to any RJ45 pin.

I'm still confused why you would connect the Ethernet cable to an USB port but can it be you've no Ethernet port on your PC/tablet and want to try to pass the radar signal via an USB adapter instead? OK - can be worth a try. The radar UDP-IP traffic is to wide to fit most wire less routers but I don't know the characteristics for a USB adapter. Please report your experiences.
Håkan
Old 08-01-2017, 04:57   #5

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Hakan nailed the drain wire question but I want to point out that there are Ethernet Switches and there are USB Hubs. These are two different animals. :2cents:
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:27   #6

Rock..
Yes but I suppose Jim wants to try an animal like this: USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter (USB31000S)
and that would be an interesting exercise for the radar UDP traffic, wouldn't it?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:45   #7

Oh indeed it would be! the rub here is, I believe, going to be tricking the windows os into thinking the USB ethernet adapter is a serial port.

Subscribed!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49   #8

A quick run down to the library (the one up in my noggin) suggests what the op needs is an RJ45 to DB9 null modem adapter then adapt the DB9 serial connection to USB... tho I haven't a clue what the pin-out would look like.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:52   #9

Håkan,
We have cut off the end of cable #5 on page 15, http://www.bandg.com/Documents/produ...epslanguage=de and replaced it with an RJ45. We had to tone out the wires to make the RJ45 work. We did not attach the drain wire. We do not have an ethernet port on our Dell Laptop. That is the reason why we are connecting the RJ45 to a Tripp Lite 7 port hub #U360-007-IND via an Anker Unibody Gigabit Ethernet Adapter #A7611011. None of our setup is wireless.
We now have everything up and running and we are happy! The radar and AIS are both up and visible. We are not getting any error messages. We now have one USB 3.0 data cable from our computer to our hub. It makes a clean installation. Is it possible that we are not receiving all of the UDP-IP traffic from the radar? We are bench testing this setup at home.
All replies are read and appreciated.
Jim and Shelley
Old 08-01-2017, 21:09   #10

Jim and Shelley
Very nice to here and thanks for the report. Could be a valuable knowledge for others not having an Ethernet port.

re:Is it possible that we are not receiving all of the UDP-IP traffic from the radar? We are bench testing this setup at home.
If the BR24Radar plugin is finding the radar and shows a radar overlay picture and it's following chart zoom in and out everything is received.
Good luck and I suppose you've read what's coming up for the plugin: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2291665
Håkan
Old 10-12-2020, 10:47   #11

Hello,
Would you recommend a network switch with a12vdc power hook up for us to purchase? We do not have any other options to power the network switch.
Thank you for your help.
James Armstrong
Old 10-12-2020, 11:16   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

I use these switches in my work and find them reliable:

https://iotmart.advantech.com/Networ...M-6520L-AE.htm

They will accept 10-30VDC and use 3W (~0.25A @ 12V).

You can also find a number of consumer level switches in the stores that use a 12V wall wart, but I prefer the wide input range on the industrial switches.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:01   #13

James..
Some switches comes with a AC-DC converter providing 12V to the switch. That's fine to power direct from your boat's system. A fuse in the line will be good as well.

A example: Netgear GS105E v2 ProSafe Plus

Edit: I didn't saw Dsanduril's post before my posting. That one is of course good as well. 100 MBit will also do in the boat. No streaming TV to be connected I suppose.
Old 10-12-2020, 13:21   #14

Thank you for a quick response I really appreciate it.
James
Old 10-12-2020, 13:23   #15

Thank you. I appreciate your response.
James