Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Dipslaying 'notes' with BSB charts...

As announced here a few days ago by GPS_Marco of NZ charts fame, LINZ, the hydrographic service in NZ will be switching from the TIFF to the BSB format for the raster charts they make freely available to all.
Opencpn is on the list of apps that can read those charts.
A test set of a handfull of these BSB charts is available
See statement on
NZMariner - Official Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs) | Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) - Toit
The link is
http://www.linz.govt.nz/sites/defaul.../BSB_NZTDS.zip
They are requesting comments and include a questionnaire in the download folder.
Now question 10 seems to imply that some of these bsb charts include notes
===================
Q.10 Chart Notes
(a) Where available, are BSB chart notes available for viewing in the chart display software (eg. NZ5113, NZ8645)?
Y / N
(b) Where not captured as specific BSB notes, are chart notes readily accessible on the face of the BSB chart?
Y / N
Comments: …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………
Note: BSB chart notes are usually accessed via a right-click menu option when a chart is being displayed. We are proposing for NZ BSBs that only chart notes which fall outside the geographic extent of chart (ie. outside the neatline border) are to be captured. The 'See Related Publications' note in the top right corner of the chart is an example of a note which will be captured.

===================================

As far as I am aware, Opencpn does not provide the capacity of displaying notes attached to BSB charts...

I suggest this matter should be looked at...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:52   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Dipslaying 'notes' with BSB charts...

It looks like they are referring to the lines starting with "N0000000XXXXX in the ".BSB" file. OpenCPN is currently ignoring the BSB files as it normally contains very little unique info, not included in the kap files.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It looks like they are referring to the lines starting with "N0000000XXXXX in the ".BSB" file. OpenCPN is currently ignoring the BSB files as it normally contains very little unique info, not included in the kap files.

Thomas
That seems very likely. Maybe the NZ users of O could say whether/how they'd like this kind of data to be displayed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	68369  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 13:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
That seems very likely. Maybe the NZ users of O could say whether/how they'd like this kind of data to be displayed...
The first NOAA, US raster chart, BSB file I tried also contained similar lines, so it's not a NZ feature only.
Anyone that have access to a plotter program that actually does anything with this info? I tried MaxSea 12+something, to no avail.

Thomas
Old 11-10-2013, 19:14   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200

I had no idea there was a mechanism for reading chart notes without scrolling around to find the note on the face of the chart. What an improvement it would be to be able to bring up a chart note without losing sight of the object that was annotated. Searching for chart notes is even a bit difficult on paper charts. It wouldn't bother me in the least that the chart notes are redundant.

Fabbian.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I had no idea there was a mechanism for reading chart notes without scrolling around to find the note on the face of the chart. What an improvement it would be to be able to bring up a chart note without losing sight of the object that was annotated. Searching for chart notes is even a bit difficult on paper charts. It wouldn't bother me in the least that the chart notes are redundant.

Fabbian.
It looks to me like all the notes are just references to image pixels, not any info as such. So clicking a note in a possible right click menu, would likely just take you to the location on the chart where the note is printed. The only thing gained would be, not having to search for the note, and possibly switching to single mode display.

Thomas
Old 18-10-2013, 08:04   #7

SailCruiser 2.0 just makes the notes more visible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2_note.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	68907   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2_note_x.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	68908  

PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags